Safari Logbook

Plainsman

AH member
Reaction score
I'm guessing that most of us have kept a diary or logbook for our hunts. Not trying to get too personal, but what do you include in your hunting logs? I'm non-introspective for the most part, so I write very little about metaphysics, or my feelings about sunsets. I generally try to record data about what went right or wrong, what equipment worked or did not, ballistics, bullet choice and reasonably technical stuff. However, I have kept a blood swatch for every animal I've hunted successfully in Africa (excepting guinea fowl, francolin and doves). I am not particularly sanguine by nature, but I find that reading back over my various adventures is made more immanent by the physical swatch accompanying my hunting notes.

I am slightly hesitant to mention this, as it may seem a bit odd or distasteful to some, but I am satisfied to have a comprehensive and physical listing of my various trophies. It also take up a lot less room in the house than shipping home mediocre hides and heads.

What are your particular preferences regarding diarying?

logbook2.JPG

For my bigger hunts, I log things like general notes, weather, altitude, lunar phase, ballistics dope, etc. I usually include a summary of events and lessons learned.

For my bigger hunts, I log things like general notes, weather, altitude, lunar phase, ballistics dope, etc. I usually include a summary of events and lessons learned.
A man after my own heart. I cannot stand to hear my own maunderings about life and meaning. I want to know what the barometric pressure and temperature were when I saw the 59" kudu; and then I want to know that a 300 grain swift a-frame dropped it in it its tracks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaryellenD

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you