Safari/Hunt Clothing Recommendations

Fire Hose work pants from Duluth Trading Co. are the best pants on earth for the outdoors man. Mine have been on safari twice, logged over 200K in the bushveld and sustained no damage. I can confidently say fire hose pants are tougher than the bushveld and if somehow you do damage them Duluth Trading will replace them for free.

Fire Hose work pants from Duluth Trading Co. are the best pants on earth for the outdoors man. Mine have been on safari twice, logged over 200K in the bushveld and sustained no damage. I can confidently say fire hose pants are tougher than the bushveld and if somehow you do damage them Duluth Trading will replace them for free.
Fire hose shorts too. They also have great t-shirts and button down work shirts in drab colors to take care of you there too.

Or their logo ball cap,which I don't do because I don't wear ball caps.

I'd do the shirt, but I've yet to be offered one.
Our outfitter gave us one Jonsson short sleeve shirt with the logo.
Nice shirt, except it's short sleeved and I'm not much for short sleeve collared shirts.
My wife wears it, just not on safari.

Outfitters give out a lot of cotton clothing. Don't forget to wash it in cold water. I got a boonie hat and washed it in warm water. It my have shrunk or my head got a lot bigger after the first safari and I became an "expert":rolleyes: on African hunting. :D

I wasn't going to run out and buy clothes for a hunt I realistically will only do every so many years. I used my existing gear. I have 5.11 tactical pants which are quite, super durable and very comfortable/flexible. Either a green or camo t shirt. Then for the colder days I had my kuiu gear with me. Again the same stuff I use when hunting at home. I wasn't too concerned about winning any hunter modeling prizes.

My first trip I took what I had and normally wore here hunting. However some of the pants I took made noise going thru the brush. I went on ebay and started buying used Cabelas Trail Hiker cotton 7 pocket pants $10-15 a pair. Best pants I have found for me. I wear them daily now for work and around the house. Columbia Long sleeve shirts in green or brown for shirts.
Keep it simple and in drab colors.

I’m going to wear lightweight green cargo pants courtesy of work.

I have some bone/tan half button work shirts that I buy for everyday use and retire them to bush wear yard work wear after.

I will wear a cheap hat on the plane and hope my PH gives me one with his cool logo on it.

I was told to travel light on my first adventure as they will wash daily. I can just fit the above clothes and underwear in my carry on . I know as I’m packed and waiting. A little excited

I will wear a light jacket or vest and casual clothes in transit.

But I did splurge on Courteney boots that I will wear on the plane. Aussie agent Malcolm Nott advised the Patrols are on their way. http://www.courteneyboot.com.au/

I might post a few small items ahead for convenience stuff of little value that I would leave like sandals, bathers or anything that won’t fit in carrying on.

@blacks i like your style. I’m hoping to take some of the great Aussie across to share in camp. After I have beers and Biltong with my PH

I’m going to wear lightweight green cargo pants courtesy of work.

I have some bone/tan half button work shirts that I buy for everyday use and retire them to bush wear yard work wear after.

I will wear a cheap hat on the plane and hope my PH gives me one with his cool logo on it.

I was told to travel light on my first adventure as they will wash daily. I can just fit the above clothes and underwear in my carry on . I know as I’m packed and waiting. A little excited

I will wear a light jacket or vest and casual clothes in transit.

But I did splurge on Courteney boots that I will wear on the plane. Aussie agent Malcolm Nott advised the Patrols are on their way. http://www.courteneyboot.com.au/

I might post a few small items ahead for convenience stuff of little value that I would leave like sandals, bathers or anything that won’t fit in carrying on.

I got back from this year's trip yesterday morning mate. Rest assured we got through plenty of the Queensland Diesel ;)

You're on the right track with the Khaki workshirts. I live in the half-button front workshirts and they go fine in Africa.

Cheers
Tim

(I can't resist...)

Aside from maybe some gaiters this gent has it down. Dark hat, perfect shirt to blend into any airport bar or the bush, tough as nails overalls properly cut for ventilation, and quiet comfortable shoes.
20190810_130624.jpeg

I’m primarily in the states an upland bird hunter. I have been to Africa 2 times and brought khaki colored shirts and pants, similar to what I use in the states in mid fall. Be prepared to shed layers and it can be cool in the early morning. The lodges I stayed in didn’t have heat, but they did have hot showers. Last time we night hunted 2 times; I got very cold riding in an open vehicle. My PH was wearing shorts so I tried to act like a man... defiantly had a hot shower back at the lodge and wore lots of clothes to bed!!! My Beretta waxed Cotten jacket was a lifesaver. Also, I brought leather shooting gloves and a skull cap, small to pack, but worth every once. Enjoy your trip!!!

Dittos on the Duluth Firehose pants, they also make excellent shirts. Even the firehose flex are a good option. Off color greens are much better than the light colored tans. Wear layers for sure. Depending on where you are hunting the mornings can be high 30(s) or low 40(s). Very sturdy but comfortable boots are a must.

I just used existing gear. Darn Tuff socks paired with 8 inch boots. Orvis briar pants in OG. Light weight, but long-sleeve, camo shirts with poly quick-dry undershirt. Mornings were chilly, so I did pick up a lightweight down jacket locally. This was for the Northern Cape, where the chance of rain in mid-June is nill. If I had been heading somewhere cool with a chance of rain, I would skip the cotton and go either either merino or synthetics.

Carhartt Tacoma rip stop pants are perfect, as are Cabelas Safari shirts, long sleeve. Dull greens and tans are perfect IMO. Kuhl Rydr pants are also work extremely well.

Question about undershirts--hunting Namibia in July/August '22. I'm from Iowa, and sweat through my cotton T's after a short exertion at 60 degrees! Looking for the best undershirts to wick moisture, but also keep me warm in the early mornings. If it gets to 70 degrees during the day, I may just be hunting in the undershirt! Amy recommendations? Underarmor, etc? Thanks, Mike Wachtel

I’ll second or maybe even third the suggestions mooted by others regarding the use of washing powders containing optical brighteners. Don’t Use Them

Gaiters… this is only useful for those traveling to Namibia. In ‘17 I picked up a pair of leather gaiters from “Save Your Socks” out of Grootfontein.
Going back in May but in the wrong direction. Some mates need them. I could just discern the Ph.no inside the gaiter.
+264 81 296 5074 is their WhatsApp number. A pair with zips cost N$300 and without N$250. Courier costs are N$65 to your outfitter. Thats $20 for the zipped ones and $17 for the plain ones plus $4.40 shipping. Pretty cheap compared to buying Courteney, Westley Richards or similar. Plus you are supporting a local industry.

Question about undershirts--hunting Namibia in July/August '22. I'm from Iowa, and sweat through my cotton T's after a short exertion at 60 degrees! Looking for the best undershirts to wick moisture, but also keep me warm in the early mornings. If it gets to 70 degrees during the day, I may just be hunting in the undershirt! Amy recommendations? Underarmor, etc? Thanks, Mike Wachtel

Look at the line of Merino Wool from KUIU or First Lite. Their light weight stuff is amazing at wicking sweat and drying fast. Not cheap, but worth it in my humble opinion.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 9.56.35 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 9.56.35 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 59
  • Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 9.56.41 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-03-24 at 9.56.41 AM.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 54
1. set of Courtney boots
1. set of Courtney gators
1. Pair of lightweight hunters green coveralls, long sleeve, elastic at the back of the waist
Wear whatever you want underneath and your ready for anything!
Of course you might get mistaken for your tracker who knows what the hell he is doing-sorry just kidding.

1. set of Courtney boots
1. set of Courtney gators
1. Pair of lightweight hunters green coveralls, long sleeve, elastic at the back of the waist
Wear whatever you want underneath and your ready for anything!
Of course you might get mistaken for your tracker who knows what the hell he is doing-sorry just kidding.

6'4", 255lbs, lilly white, and generally wander around aimlessly much to the demise of the PH.... chances are I'll never get mistaken for a tracker, no matter what I wear :D

6'4", 255lbs, lilly white, and generally wander around aimlessly much to the demise of the PH.... chances are I'll never get mistaken for a tracker, no matter what I wear :D

Hhhmm, maybe someone will think it is two albino Masai sharing one set of coveralls, stranger things have happened. Seriously strong soft cotton coveralls are fantastic, especially in a tetsi fly area. You will not have to worry about that where you will be, but someday who knows?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois