AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Safari Club International's annual Hunters' Convention continues to rise on Trade Show News Network's Top Trade Shows list for another year, according to an announcement today by TSNN.

"CONGRATULATIONS! Your show has been named one of the top 250 trade shows in the US on the 2018 TSNN Top Trade Shows list," TSNN stated in a note to SCI.

Ranked 84th in 2018, the SCI Convention has been rising on that prestigious list in recent years:

2018: 84
2017: 91
2016: 97
2015: 104
2014: 104
2013: 108

"We at SCI have known all along that the SCI Hunters' Convention is the best of its kind in the world and we celebrate it every year. It is an honor that professionals in the trade show industry recognize SCI's Convention as one of the best there is. We thank all of the members and exhibitors who make the SCI Convention the incredible event that it is. SCI members, exhibitors and other hunters around the world can be proud of this distinction."

"We do the best job we can to make the SCI Hunters' Convention the most awesome event possible," said SCI Convention Director Rob Holliday. "It is gratifying to see that SCI's Convention is recognized as among the best in the trade show industry."

Source: Safari Club International (SCI)

I went to the Trade Show News Network site and had a look at the entire list.

Can someone explain why SCI is (virtually, if not) the only trade show which does not disclose attendance?

I thought SCI was struggling with waning attendence?

Good for SCI!! I am not sure that I would want to be "ranked" 84th in the nation for an organization that is one of the largest hunter based groups in the world. It would be interesting to see the criteria used for the rankings and compare that to the cost of exhibiting/attending. I wish them well.

I thought SCI was struggling with waning attendence?

It is a fact. I talked with a world famous PH who's been hunting the Bubye for a long, long time (we would all immediately know who this is), and he told me the Reno SCI show was the worst one he had ever been to, and that misleading attendance figures were being put out just to try and soften the blow. From visiting with him he's pretty much through with SCI shows.

I think making this "list" is likely either highly subjective.. or there could be a pay to play sort of arrangement...

what are the metrics measured to determine who makes the list and who does not?

For example..

The Ace Hardware Spring Convention.. held in March 2018.. brought in 1300 exhibitors and 13K people attended.. it was held in the Dallas convention center over 3 days... it was rated the 48th best US trade show..

But.. the Dallas Safari Club show.. held in Jan 2018.. brought in about 1800+ exhibitors and 52K+ attendees.. and is raved about year after year by both exhibitors and attendees alike as one of the best shows they ever attend.. not to mention local area businesses rave about what DSC brings to town, the city itself loves the show, etc... and doesnt even make the top 250 list..

Then consider the DSC show had similar results in 2017 (should have gotten this groups attention well in advance), and has pretty much grown in every measurable way every year for the last 10 years...

How exactly did Ace Hardware make the top 50 and DSC not make the list at all?

I think making this "list" is likely either highly subjective.. or there could be a pay to play sort of arrangement...

what are the metrics measured to determine who makes the list and who does not?

For example..

The Ace Hardware Spring Convention.. held in March 2018.. brought in 1300 exhibitors and 13K people attended.. it was held in the Dallas convention center over 3 days... it was rated the 48th best US trade show..

But.. the Dallas Safari Club show.. held in Jan 2018.. brought in about 1800+ exhibitors and 52K+ attendees.. and is raved about year after year by both exhibitors and attendees alike as one of the best shows they ever attend.. not to mention local area businesses rave about what DSC brings to town, the city itself loves the show, etc... and doesnt even make the top 250 list..

Then consider the DSC show had similar results in 2017 (should have gotten this groups attention well in advance), and has pretty much grown in every measurable way every year for the last 10 years...

How exactly did Ace Hardware make the top 50 and DSC not make the list at all?

Sir you make a solid observation! I guess we don’t know what we don’t know as to how the rankings are formulated.

DSC Head Count
35,523 in Attendance and 1006 Exhibitors.

It would appear to me that DSC had more than twice the head count of SCI.

Last edited:
I don't understand this either.

Well all I can say is I like reno way more than when show is in vegas....after so many years with it being in reno we got to know people in the bars restaurants etc.....and yeah even after the years of the show being in vegas they still remembered us personally.. ....pretty good I think... especially when you can go to the same bar etc in vegas every night and the person serving you looks at you like they have never seen you before. ... And well let's not even go into the difference in prices between the two places. . ... .And strangely for all the people bitching about it being in reno I remember at the close of the last show in vegas where they say well we will see you next year and it's in reno. ....and well....there was a big cheer.....so...

spike t, if everyone cheered at the thought of Reno, why didn't anybody show up? Just curious.

Safari Club International's annual Hunters' Convention continues to rise on Trade Show News Network's Top Trade Shows list for another year, according to an announcement today by TSNN.

"CONGRATULATIONS! Your show has been named one of the top 250 trade shows in the US on the 2018 TSNN Top Trade Shows list," TSNN stated in a note to SCI.

Ranked 84th in 2018, the SCI Convention has been rising on that prestigious list in recent years:

2018: 84
2017: 91
2016: 97
2015: 104
2014: 104
2013: 108

"We at SCI have known all along that the SCI Hunters' Convention is the best of its kind in the world and we celebrate it every year. It is an honor that professionals in the trade show industry recognize SCI's Convention as one of the best there is. We thank all of the members and exhibitors who make the SCI Convention the incredible event that it is. SCI members, exhibitors and other hunters around the world can be proud of this distinction."

"We do the best job we can to make the SCI Hunters' Convention the most awesome event possible," said SCI Convention Director Rob Holliday. "It is gratifying to see that SCI's Convention is recognized as among the best in the trade show industry."

Source: Safari Club International (SCI)
It was a great convention and so much fun this year! I’m glad to see recognition for SCI in this regard.

I am going to the local SCI banquet this Friday, will report on the turnout

spike t, if everyone cheered at the thought of Reno, why didn't anybody show up? Just curious.

Haven't a clue.........also I know that some did very good business there...one outfitter didn't bother going to dallas as he basically sold out for two years......also talking to one of the top end English gunmakers got a reply when I asked him how had the show been....he said quiet but we sold a lot.....so some did well.....and seems a shame with the people who are saying they won't go back again as didn't sell much, after all the years they have been going and did well selling ......

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chandaokelle05

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg