AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
The Safari Club International Convention will be returning to Reno, Nevada, for a three-year commitment to that destination beginning in January of 2019. According to SCI officials, efforts by the City of Reno, the Reno-Tahoe International Airport and the major resorts there to improve air service access was a key element in the organization's decision to return to Reno.

"It's great to be returning to Reno and the surrounding destination," said Rick Parsons, CEO of Safari Club International. "The friendliness of the people in this community and their outreach has always been wonderful and the entire city welcomes hunters. Our SCI Board of Directors and other stakeholders whole-heartedly embraced the move to Northern Nevada beginning in 2019."

"According to data supplied by the Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority, flights are improving in Northern Nevada and the number of available seats is increasing," Parsons said. "In our cooperative partnership with the resorts, the Reno-Tahoe Airport Authority and the Reno Sparks Convention & Visitors Authority (RSCVA), we also have guarantees that the community will have a minimum of 9,500 air seats available for us on our Sunday departure day in January 2019. This number of airline seats is nearly double what was available to us in 2013."

Safari Club International's last convention held in Reno in 2013 brought in $21.6 million in economic impact from lodging, dining and other activities to the community.

"We're very excited that Safari Club International has taken the time to reconsider coming back to Reno," said Bob Lucey, RSCVA board chairman." (The Safari Club Convention) is a major economic driver in our community, so this is a huge opportunity for us to gain that business back."

Next year, the Safari Club International Convention will be held at the Las Vegas Convention Center in Las Vegas, January 31-February 3, 2018, and the MGM Grand will be the host hotel.

SCI's 50th anniversary will find them returning to Las Vegas in 2022.

Future convention dates and locations:
2018 - January 31 - February 3, 2018 at the Las Vegas Convention Center
2019 - January 9-12, 2019 at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center
2020 - January 15-18, 2020 at the Reno Sparks Convention Center
2021 - January 27-30, 2021 at the Reno Sparks Convention Center
2022 - January 19-22, 2022 at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center

Source: Safari Club International (SCI)

I bet the city of Reno is excited about it. Never been to Reno myself.

2.5 hours of air travel to Vegas VS 6.5 to get to Reno. Hmmmm.

Please, tell me the good things about going to Reno?

Too many to enumerate here... :)

2.5 hours of air travel to Vegas VS 6.5 to get to Reno. Hmmmm.

Please, tell me the good things about going to Reno?

they like you there . straight off plane in airport welcome banners and taxidermy......cheaper...know quite a few people inc ones from biggish usa companies pleased it going back to reno. we who have been going for years know people that work in different places that are pleased to see you back....not sure how many will be around after it being in vegas for these years....so could have changed......also bit more relaxed as they got used to the antics compared to no sense of humour in vegas.

Alright, I'll trust you guys.
It has been a few decades since I have been to Reno.

Future convention dates and locations:
2019 - January 9-12, 2019 at the Reno-Sparks Convention Center
2022 - January 19-22, 2022 at the Mandalay Bay Convention Center

It would seem SCI gave no thought to the 2019 date and how it might conflict with DSC, or if they did they're showing they don't care about the impact this potentially could have on outfitters. That date in 2019 is what I would have guessed the DSC show would be. Furthermore after going through the trouble of moving from Reno to Vegas a few years back, the outfitters will have to shift back to Reno, only to once again shift again to Vegas 3 years later.............Charlie Foxtrot.

I would have to concur with Mike that the one time I went to SCI in Reno, the people there seemed to truly appreciate SCI and the business it brings. In Vegas..........pfft, you're just another clown, now pay me seems to be the prevailing attitude.

Reactions: BWH
they like you there . straight off plane in airport welcome banners and taxidermy......cheaper...know quite a few people inc ones from biggish usa companies pleased it going back to reno. we who have been going for years know people that work in different places that are pleased to see you back....not sure how many will be around after it being in vegas for these years....so could have changed......also bit more relaxed as they got used to the antics compared to no sense of humour in vegas.

And besides, nothing says classy more than when you walk out of the airport and the taxis have those rooftop ads trying to sell you a ride to the nearby prostitution houses.......o_O

DSC seems to have moved up to that very first week/weekend...... So should be clear. Guess they are stacking all of the events/shows back to back to back. Not much rest or downtown.

DSC seems to have moved up to that very first week/weekend...... So should be clear. Guess they are stacking all of the events/shows back to back to back. Not much rest or downtown.

I don't think DSC will want to do that in 2019. It would mean they're setting up the convention hall on Monday 12/31 and Tuesday 1/1 for the Wednesday 1/2 move in. That would translate to some very unhappy volunteers and the Freeman employees earning holiday pay.

No New Year's Eve partying for the DSC folks in 2019, without consequences !!! Never been to Vegas or Reno, but have been to Dallas off and on for many many years...5 hours by car from my son's house. Agree with Phil though, outfitters will definitely pay the price!

I don't think DSC will want to do that in 2019. It would mean they're setting up the convention hall on Monday 12/31 and Tuesday 1/1 for the Wednesday 1/2 move in. That would translate to some very unhappy volunteers and the Freeman employees earning holiday pay.
Good point, I didn't consider the business costs to DSC, even the volunteers. But I'm a DSC die hard, so I'll go with whatever they decide!

I know that Reno is much better for exhibitors, for a whole bunch reasons, mostly related to cost. No unions to move stuff, cheaper hotels and meals, etc. but for those of us attending, there are a couple of other things to consider.

First, as @BRICKBURN has pointed out, you can't reach Reno direct from anywhere . . . or almost anywhere. Adding an extra flight is not something I do lightly.

Second, I found myself explaining to my youngest boy when the convention was last in Reno, why we couldn't go to the "Mustang Ranch," which was advertised on the roof of the cab. And then he asked his mother about it when we got back. I haven't seen those kind of ads in Vegas, although there are lots of people snapping cards at you . . .

Third, and most importantly, my wife has no interest in going to Reno. There's lots for her to do in Las Vegas. Reno, not so much.

I've been to the last 8 or 9 conventions. I can't make next year, and will likely give Reno a miss. So 2022, here I come!

Second, I found myself explaining to my youngest boy when the convention was last in Reno, why we couldn't go to the "Mustang Ranch," which was advertised on the roof of the cab. And then he asked his mother about it when we got back. I haven't seen those kind of ads in Vegas, although there are lots of people snapping cards at you . . .

Like I said, classy! :cautious:

I can think of pros and cons for both locations. I can only think of cons by the flip flopping between the two, at least from an exhibitors perspective. Many outfitters rent storage units near the convention centers to leave displays and furniture and whatever else they don't want to ship back home. It's far more cost effective then renting furniture and what not from the vendors that way.

After next year's SCI in Vegas, now what? Continue to store in Vegas and make a special trip there in 2019 prior to the show to get the stuff by auto to Reno? Sell it? Throw it away?

And then do the same 3 years later?

Flight costs from Calgary are comparable between the two venues, however the time of travel is doubled and at least one transfer. That is not a positive IMO.

I understand that the prices in Vegas were escalating rapidly for SCI and the Reno deal will save a lot of money for SCI. Maybe an attitude adjustment for Vegas?

Hopefully the cost in Reno is cheaper $11 for a Blue Moon beer, it's cheaper to go to a Oilers game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg