Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Just Back from the Safari Club International Convention 2010

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Just returned from the annual SCI Convention on Sunday evening having spent five very busy and enjoyable days in Reno. My wife and I have been attending the SCI show for fourteen years and I can honestly say that we wouldn't miss it for any reason. I am always impressed by the quality of the show on every level. Firstly, the SCI staff and volunteers deserve to be commended for how well they put together this amazingly large and complex show, from the convention itself to all of the evening events and entertainment, the informative seminars and auctions to the transportation they provide everyday to the convention center, events and between hotels, just an all around superior organization.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Having said that this year the attendance seemed a bit less than years past, with the exception of 2009, however those who did attend seemed to be serious and there for a purpose. Most of the outfitters that I spoke with said that they weren't sure what to expect this year after last year but were suprised at how well they booked up their calenders. Oddly enough, I heard over and over again that there seemed to be more interest from hunters wanting to book for 2011 and beyond. I know that there are some stellar deals out there right now for 2010 and anyone considering doing a hunt this year can expect to still find openings with outfitters who have been, in years past, already booked up this close to the date. I do believe that this economic situation may well cause many of the weaker outfitters to go out of business leaving less capacity for those who wish to hunt Africa. Putting it shortly, booking in 2010 (or early for 2011) may be your best bet for getting a great deal for quite some time because it might not last.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

The highlight of the show for my wife and I has always been having the opportunity to see old friends from every corner of this world and meeting new ones and this year was no exception. I was very fortunate to be able to meeting many members from AH and quite a few self proclaimed "lurkers" who do not post but come to read the site on a regular if not daliy basis. It was such a pleasure to have been able to meet in person so many new people especially ones that I feel I have already gotten to know through their posts on the site. I have been duly reprimanded by my wife for not organizing some sort of meet up for AH visitors at this years show, so I have put her in charge of putting together an official event for our group next year and hope to see you all there.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

There are several exciting new areas that I will be posting about in the next week or so as well as the companies that are developing them, including Uganda with Bruce Martin, Angola with Roger Whittall and the opening of the Waterberg Plateau National Park for hunting with Hunter's Namibia Safaris. All great new areas with exceptional wildlife and nature. New areas especially in new countries always give me hope that hunting in Africa is gaining ground not losing it, although it is not always easy to measure.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

For those of you who have never attended the SCI Convention, I have to say that it is truly an unforgetable experience that every hunter who loves Africa should do at least once, as the show is strongly geared towards Africa. Just the shear size of it, knowing that everyone is there with the same passion for hunting. All of the outfitters from every imagineable part of the earth under one roof. The impressive taxidermy, I have included many pictures of the taxidermy displayed at the convention however the pictures don't do them justice. Manufacturers of everything hunting related, as well as all of the firearms you can imagine; from the most incredible, expensive fine english antiques to the latest cutting edge technology... it's overwhelming but also wonderful. The only thing to complain about is sore feet. Those cement floors are a killer, give me a good pair of hunting boots and an 8 hour trek through the bush any day!

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

What I saw this year that stuck with me was the world record book "pick up" Cape Buffalo, 63" of spectacular "Buffaloness" (see below). I don't know what else to say about it, just impressive!

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

For any of you who are not already members of SCI, I really encourage you to join. There is no organization out there that is doing more to be the voice, doing as much for conservation and protecting the rights of international hunters anywhere in the world.

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
Excellent post Jerome. I could not agree with you more on your opinion of SCI. While we can always find fault with any organization you care to look at, as a whole SCI is THE organization that promotes conservation and hunter advocacy on a global basis.

Sorry I did not make it there this year. I had planned to but Murphy reared his head and prevented it. As the president of the new SCI Manitoba Chapter, I will be there next year for the board meeting. I think an AH function is a super idea! :D

Excellent post Jerome. I took this year off, but will be there next year. An AH gathering would be fun!

That buffalo is ridiculous. Where was he picked up?

The taxidermy at Reno is just awesome. Truly magnificent.

SCI 2010

Jerome,
I agree with you, also enjoyed show. A meeting at next years show would be great! Taxidermy work was outstanding, took many of the same shots you did to share with friends at home. Third year in a row at the show and not my last.
Addiction took over and against my better judgement the wife talked me into booking with CharltonMcCallum Safaris next August for Tuskless and Buffalo.

SCI convention

While we can always find fault with any organization you care to look at, as a whole SCI is THE organization that promotes conservation and hunter advocacy on a global basis...

Kelly, I completely agree with you, it's not about whether we agree with everything that an organization does or represents. However as hunters we must come together in numbers to have our voices heard. We must find a way to agree to disagree to come together in a way that is meaningful.

By the way, congratulations on opening up the SCI Manitoba Chapter and being their first President, I know that you worked hard to start this new SCI Chapter and I wish you luck.

TOM, I was told that this Cape Buffalo was found in Tanzania, cannot remember what area it was found, the Buffalo was apparently taken down by Lions...

The pictures of the convention were taken one morning early, before the crowds or else all that anyone would see is people walking in the aisles. I took the pictures for those who have never been to get an idea of what the show is like but it's still doesn't do it justice. Imagine 3 massive halls and 2 smaller ones filled with everything hunting from the mountain peaks of Mongolia to the deepest forest of Central Africa... I posted a lot more pictures in the AH photo gallery as well, and they can be enlarged to see more details... sadly I lost some pictures on the way back.

... the wife talked me into booking with CharltonMcCallum Safaris next August for Tuskless and Buffalo.

I bet you there are a lot of hunters here who would like to know how that works! :D

Easy, marry a wonerful wife! Encourages me to spend my lifes savings on myself doing what I love [besides being with her] hunting Africa.

Any love story that involves hunting is a good one!

buckcurtin.........naturally you will be expecting a few PM's from AH members asking if your lovely bride has any sisters. ;):D

Jerome, great photos and report!!! I agree with Tom, that Buff is ridiculous. Wonder how many people would have peed down their leg upon seeing it alive. :D

Ironic you post up the Westley Richards booth. I was at a gunshow last weekend at our local Elk's Lodge. Guy there had a circa 1912 Westley double in 450/400 3". And it was in GREAT shape for the age. Box was intact and in great shape also. The owner has the history of the gun and it went to India before it made it to Africa then to the US. The price tag definitely made me look at it from two feet away.

And that waterbuck under the acacia is really cool to me as the first live waterbuck bull I saw was standing under an acacia like that.

... The price tag definitely made me look at it from two feet away...

Was it just the price tag or also so that you wouldn't get any drool on it? :drooling:

Was it just the price tag or also so that you would get any drool on it? :drooling:

A little bit of both. :D

It was part of his private collection so I'm sure he had a hefty markup on it. He had a tag of $35,000 for it.

Right next to it he had a special edition Mauser in 7x57. It was Oberndorf (sp?), in box, high grade walnut, and Zeiss scope. Very nice also.

Man, Jerome, you certainly know how to make a guy jealous!

I need to get myself in gear and join SCI and make it a point to get to the show next year before I head to Zim with Martin Pieters. (Man, everything is finally falling into place! Just have to hope my tax return this year can fund a double rifle!)

I'll look forward to browsing all of the pictures later tonight at work.

Man, Jerome, you certainly know how to make a guy jealous!

I need to get myself in gear and join SCI and make it a point to get to the show next year before I head to Zim with Martin Pieters. (Man, everything is finally falling into place! Just have to hope my tax return this year can fund a double rifle!)

I'll look forward to browsing all of the pictures later tonight at work.

You must join SCI and go, I was in my early 60's before I joined SCI and started going a few years later after my first Safari. Will be making my 4 Safari in 5 years, spending my kids/grandkids inheritence. You also meet the nicest people at the show, both members and vendors. My wife enjoys the shopping also, lots for the non-hunting wife.

buckcurtin.........naturally you will be expecting a few PM's from AH members asking if your lovely bride has any sisters. ;):D

Sorry, I got the "pick of the litter".

Great post Jerome wish i could have been there! That buff is amazing i would love to see him up close.:D

thanks for updating us Jerome... am up for an AH gathering next year. That buffalo was picked up by a researcher in Manyara National Park in Northern Tanzania and I had seen it a couple of times while still alive - truly a freak of nature! But the genes are there and still circulating. He hung around with two other buddies who were both 50" or over, but they were dwarfed next to him. I have a replica of him in my living room and its one of my most admired pieces of furniture. He was taken down by lions and his skull was almost smuggled out of the country. Thanks to efforts by patriotic Tanzanian PH's such as Rainer Josch and another, the trophy was discovered before it could leave the country. It is as amazing in replica as it looked when i saw it with blood and flesh still on its skull. A truly amazing buffalo!

Ryan, Thanks for the Buffalo story. Certainly a well formed freak of nature, though his genes must still be out there...

watermark.php

Last edited by a moderator:
..An AH gathering next year would be great. I had hoped to get there this year but things just didn't workout. Next year for sure!

SCI 38th Annual Hunters’ Convention in Reno, NV: A Huge Success

Safari Club International’s 38th Annual Hunters’ Convention in Reno, NV: A Huge Success

Reno, Nevada – Safari Club International is pleased to announce a highly successful 38th Annual Hunters’ Convention in Reno, NV. The 2010 Convention ranks as the second highest revenue generating Convention ever with nearly 20,000 attendees. In a tough economy, this signifies the strong commitment of SCI’s Reno-Sparks partners, along with the exhibitors, vendors, outfitters and SCI members who help to raise the funds to continue SCI’s mission of being First for Hunters.

Highlights from the week included over 1,100 exhibiting companies leasing over 2,000 booth spaces, a SCI-PAC luncheon with keynote speaker Liz Cheney, the second annual Diplomat’s Reception with government officials and representatives from central Asia, Africa, Canada, Europe, Mexico, New Zealand, Russia and the United States and the Convention’s keynote speech from Former President George W. Bush.

Safari Club International (SCI) is also pleased to announce the full list of award recipients at the 38th Annual Hunters’ Convention. Award winners include members and chapters who display a strong commitment to and have made great contributions to the sport of hunting, displayed a dedication to the conservation of wildlife, have a history of service to the global hunting community and are committed to SCI’s programs and mission statement to be First for Hunters.

Individual Award Recipients:
Hall of Fame Award – Alfred “Skip” Donau
International Hunter Award – Dr. Lawrence Rudolph
CJ McElroy Award – John Banovich
Diana Award – Charlotte Peyerk
Young Hunter Award – Brian Reiger
Young Hunter Award – Caroline Pruitt
World Hunting Ring Award – David Tuttle
World Hunting Ring Award – Page Mays
World Hunting Ring Award – Thomas J. Hammond
World Hunting Ring Award – Marc Hanson
World Hunting Ring Award – Arthur R. Dubs
World Hunting Ring Award – Walter F Broich II
World Hunting Ring Award – Van C. Bethancourt
World Hunting Ring Award – Matt Ward
World Hunting Ring Award – Leon Munyan
Professional Hunter International Award – Eduardo De Araoz
Professional Hunter Award – Eric Mikkelson
Pathfinder Award – Sgt. 1st Class Gregory A. Stube
Pathfinder Award – Ed Mays

Chapter Award Recipients:
Top Gun Award – Flint Regional Chapter
Diamond Conservation Award – Michigan Chapter
Chapter of the Year –
25-50 Members – Yampa Valley Chapter
51-100 Members – Chattanooga Area Chapter
101-250 Members – San Francisco Bay Chapter
251 or More Members – Lake Superior Chapter
International Chapter – Central Hungarian Chapter
Rookie Chapter – Texas Hill Country Chapter
Membership Growth – SE Michigan Bowhunters Chapter (460 New Members)

All of these awards were conferred upon the recipients this week during the 38th Annual Hunters’ Convention in Reno, Nevada. SCI’s Convention is the most dynamic and diverse hunting show today with over 650,000 square feet of exhibit space, dozens of informational and educational seminars, and the opportunity for thousands of SCI members to come together. SCI has already started planning again for the 2011 Convention that will be held again in Reno, Nevada on Jan. 26-29.

Source: SCI

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
YvonnePaws

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg