AfricaHunting.com

Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
An official announcement from Safari Club International.

Screen Shot 2020-10-21 at 7.33.33 PM.png

SCI STATEMENT ON 2021 CONVENTION

After much contemplation and exhaustive effort, Safari Club International (SCI) has made the difficult decision to cancel its 2021 Hunters’ Convention. COVID-19-related restrictions imposed by the state of Nevada and city of Las Vegas to ensure a safe event environment during the ongoing pandemic has made it impossible to conduct a successful event for our members and exhibitors, or serve the greater good of wildlife conservation.

For 49 consecutive years SCI has conducted its annual convention, bringing together from around the world, hunters, exhibitors, conservation stakeholders, and generations of SCI members. This annual event celebrates hunter advocacy, raises hundreds of thousands of dollars for wildlife conservation, and enables the planning of hunts that further support conservation on every continent. It is one of the most anticipated gatherings of the year not only for the reasons above but also because it is the one week that our community can rely upon to renew friendships and reignite the fire that drives us all to carry on the traditions of hunting. We did not reach this decision lightly.

Throughout the turmoil of 2020 SCI has remained on watch. We have defended hunting in California and on Capitol Hill; we have supported wildlife conservation on the plains of Wyoming and plateaus of Africa; and we worked with legislators and the Trump Administration on the Great American Outdoor Act, history’s greatest outdoor legislative achievement. Working hand in hand with the Safari Club International Foundation (SCIF), we were able to raise a record amount of money for hunter education and conservation. Our work will proceed apace despite this unfortunate cancellation.

Despite our disappointment with this development, SCI will be there for our members and exhibitors in 2022 to reflect on all these accomplishments and celebrate them together. The 2022 Convention will take place in Las Vegas and will be a celebration of our hunting heritage and the perseverance we all needed to get through this, together.

2021 Convention Cancellation FAQ

WHY WAS CONVENTION CANCELLED?

COVID-19-related restrictions imposed by the state of Nevada and city of Las Vegas to ensure a safe event environment during the ongoing pandemic made it impossible to conduct a successful event.

WHY NOT POSTPONE OR RELOCATE CONVENTION?
Few locations have the necessary exhibition facilities, evening event facilities, hotel options, international airport and other logistical requirements to support our event within the timeframe it would need to take place.

WHEN/WHERE IS THE NEXT SCI HUNTERS CONVENTION?
The 50th Annual SCI Hunters Convention will be held at Mandalay Bay Convention Center in Las Vegas, Nevada, January 19-22, 2022.

Last edited:
Well Boo!! I would "dislike" but that has other consequences.....

Disappointing but not surprising.

Not surprising, and honestly, probably best for all. That includes SCI, but most importantly the members and exhibitors. Under the circumstances, I think it would have been a train wreck at worst, a derailment at best. That event, while raising a lot of funds cost an enormous amount of money the pull off. With international travel in such chaos, I would have felt sorry for the poor outfitter or vendor trying to promote and sell to a wasteland of no shows.

2023 SCI Convention will be in Nashville, and I hope we can pull off some awesome gatherings for the AH community here! Just a short couple of years away

That's a bummer. Hopefully, the worldwide exhibitor's can overcome this adversity.

Not really surprising although I did have our L.V. timeshare booked for this time frame.
Was going to wait till after Thanksgiving to decide whether we would go or not.
I can't imagine they had a lot of outfitter bookings after a whole season has slipped by where most of these guys have had zero income. There was an outfitter from SA I was wanting to meet there, but I recently WhatsApp'ed him and he said he was not going this year. I asked how much of his business was from the U.S. and he said 100%. My heart really goes out to these outfits and their families trying to hold it all together right now.

Move it to Denver and I’ll be there!

The Professional Bull Riders moved their 10 day world championship event from Vegas to Dallas this year due to the same NV restrictions...

I would imagine Vegas and Reno job markets and local economies are both getting destroyed over the nonsense being pushed by their politicians..

Hopefully the citizens of that state do something about that in a couple of weeks

I am really saddened to hear this news. The damage to conservation from these ridiculous restrictions will be incalculable. I thought for sure we were going to get out of this mess in 2021. DSC just released an awesome video saying they are moving forward with their convention. That is some good news.
Philip

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OmaMcGill

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg