Safari Clothing/Gear

kpenglish

AH member
Reaction score
In preparation for my 2016 East Cape plains game hunt I'm currently stocking up on clothes and gear for myself and the wife. I found TAG outfitters, conveniently located in my city, as well as Cabelas and BassPro, but was wondering if there are any other shops online that cater specifically to safaris.

Have 4 TAG shirts, like them a lot, those with a zipper pocket are ideal for travel, passport fits perfect and secure. Also great for a small camera when hunting.

You really don't need to stock up on clothing for a safari since most operators do the laundry every day.

On my safari last May I took 3 sets of clothes for the hunting part of it and it turned out to be 1 more than I needed. But for the touring part of my trip I was purchasing souvenir T shirts when we would stop somewhere

Check with your outfitter about a pack list. JimP is correct most places do laundry once a day.

Saved a Few bucks on E-Bay,,lots of one and done Safari Hunters dump there stuff there

Definitely a great idea for used clothing is looking online at sites like eBay. If you're looking for new safari clothing or safari boots (Courteney Boot Company), you can check out our site. www.africansc.com and go under Safari Clothing on the left. Have to put in a plug for something quick too :Bored: We're having our first time Cyber Monday sale that actually starts tonight and ends tomorrow. Might be able to find what you are looking for there.

Last edited by a moderator:
For hunting I wore Cabelas lightweight Microtex shirts, Cabelas 7 pocket hiker pants or shorts. Texas Huntco gaiters, Cabelas Meindl Uninsulated Lightweight boots. I haven't found a ball cap more comfortable than a camo Sitka. I light sweater or fleece jacket (prefer windpro or wind bloc) is handy in the morning or evening.

I do like TAG and own shirts, shorts, and convertible pants from them.

That being said, anything drab works. We over think the clothing. You probably already own everything you need. And as others stated, laundry is daily, so two pair long and two pair short is all that is really needed.

Definitely a great idea for used clothing is looking online at sites like eBay. If you're looking for new safari clothing or safari boots (Courteney Boot Company), you can check out our site. www.africansc.com and go under Safari Clothing on the left. Have to put in a plug for something quick too :Bored: We're having our first time Cyber Monday sale that actually starts tonight and ends tomorrow. Might be able to find what you are looking for there.

Do you have those sales every Monday?

Last edited by a moderator:
You really don't need to stock up on clothing for a safari since most operators do the laundry every day.

On my safari last May I took 3 sets of clothes for the hunting part of it and it turned out to be more than I needed. But for the touring part of my trip I was purchasing souvenir T shirts when we would stop somewhere

Jim is right. You don't need a bunch of special stuff. For the most part what you hunt in here in the states is fine. Three pants and a couple of shirts is enough because your outfitter will no doubt give you a shirt. Your current hunting boots are more than fine. In fact on my most recent hunt I didn't wear my boots rather I kept my Echo walkers on all the time.

THE LESS YOU TAKE THE BETTER!! Laundry is done every day. I prefer hunting in shorts and short sleeve shirts... to hell with the thorns! The thorns make less noise on the skin than they do on clothing... especially on final approaches..

I like the 5.11 Tactical Pants and shirts (http://www.511tactical.com/511-tactical-pants-mens-cotton.html ). Very well made stuff, lots of pockets and lots of color combinations. The coyote, OD green and tundra are good colors for African safari. Stay away from the khaki color as it is a bit too light. As far as boots for a safari, I've tried a bunch and one of my favorite is the Irish Setter Soft Paw. About $150 from Cabelas or you can go by a Red Wing boot store and they can fit you with a pair. Very comfortable, right out of the box.

Totally agree with the comments from eveyone on not bringing a lot of clothes. Your travel clothes and 2 or 3 other sets max. Daily laundry service is the norm.

Do you have those sales every Monday?
Hi Grayson,
We should have that sale every Monday! It was a stellar day. (y) But, no it was actually just for Cyber Monday on the 30th of last month.
Jim

Outfitted my wife with Tag clothing nice material and fit but it seems that every day she was replacing a lost button...

I must get some of those shirts for my wife... will save time when back in the tent after the days hunt!! :ROFLMAO:

Try the fire hose work pants from Duluth Trading Co. Their are properly sized, have deep roomy pockets and very useful cargo pockets. If you damage the pants in any way on safari you can send them back for replacement or a full refund its you choose, there no BS guaranty is awesome. They are the best pants I have ever owned.

I like the 5.11 Tactical Pants and shirts (http://www.511tactical.com/511-tactical-pants-mens-cotton.html ). Very well made stuff, lots of pockets and lots of color combinations. The coyote, OD green and tundra are good colors for African safari. Stay away from the khaki color as it is a bit too light. As far as boots for a safari, I've tried a bunch and one of my favorite is the Irish Setter Soft Paw. About $150 from Cabelas or you can go by a Red Wing boot store and they can fit you with a pair. Very comfortable, right out of the box.

Totally agree with the comments from eveyone on not bringing a lot of clothes. Your travel clothes and 2 or 3 other sets max. Daily laundry service is the norm.

It can't be emphasized enough; no need to over-pack! I took three pairs of Carhartt summer weight work pants in dark green (faded). I like them because they have the little pockets on the thigh to store stuff. Three 5.11 Tactical shirts were an excellent choice as they have the vented back. Plus, I had 2 sets of clothes for camp/travel. I agree with the Irish Setter by Red Wing. I had the Wingshooter 7" Upland boot; very comfortable and durable. I also took more gear than needed.

I liked the Cabelas brand safari shirts and pants. The pants have the zip off so you can convert to shorts. I took two long shirts, one short sleeve shirt and two pants for the hunting. Then one set of travel clothes for the plane. I very comfortable pair of light hikers. Ann bought some SheSafari and some Tag. She liked the SheSafari better as it was cut to fit her. The Tag didn't seem as good of quality as the SheSafari nor the Cabelas.

And, we were both spoiled having the laundry done every day. What a great way to travel light. We had 2 c-rucks, a small duffel, a medium duffel and my rifle case. That was it for 10 days hunting and 2 days fishing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
odoodevelopers

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross