Safari 2 is booked!

Catahoula

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I returned from hunting with Pawprint in November with return plans already under way on the flight home. I was thinking about returning some time in 2018, but that seemed a little too far off, so I'm booked for August 2017. Will be plains game only this time. Right now I'm planning giraffe, impala and blesbok and am still thinking through the rest of the trophy list. A zebra flatskin is already in the works. I think a giraffe skin will be a great compliment! I spent a year and a half planning the first trip, only have seven months to get this one in order!

Practice makes perfect. You are just better at planning now.

Have fun.

Congrats!

Glad to see your getting to go back. I thought I was going to skip a year to but I am doing july 2017. I tried to teach Pieter some stuff about giraffe so your in good hands. LOL

Awesome, have a great time. Once the bug has bitten its all over.

Practice makes perfect. You are just better at planning now.

Have fun.

Thanks! I was all worked up about planning and logistics the first trip, but there isn't much to it. Book with the outfitter, buy plane tickets, set things up with @riflepermits.com and you're pretty much set. 4457s are already in hand from the last trip and I learned what clothing works best on the last trip. Pieter makes it pretty easy once you are on the ground in SA.

I returned from hunting with Pawprint in November with return plans already under way on the flight home. I was thinking about returning some time in 2018, but that seemed a little too far off, so I'm booked for August 2017. Will be plains game only this time. Right now I'm planning giraffe, impala and blesbok and am still thinking through the rest of the trophy list. A zebra flatskin is already in the works. I think a giraffe skin will be a great compliment! I spent a year and a half planning the first trip, only have seven months to get this one in order!
You are a safari veteran now! Actually this is a very interesting thread. Tell us about planning the second one and what you were thinking along the way. We have had many discussions on AH about planning safaris especially first safaris but discussing the second one can be as interesting! Thinking about what you liked, didn't like, wished you had time or money for etc?
I have been blessed to go on numerous safaris over the years and funny enough I think I would like to go back to where I first went on safari. There are several animals in the Eastern Cape that I never took and would like to go again. It's been 20 years so why not!
Regards,
Philip

Looking forward to hunting with you once more!

I think you will enjoy the August weather a bit more than the November weather on your first trip. That's one of the things I love about hunting May-Aug time frame in southern Africa, the weather is absolutely stunning.

Awesome! Enjoy!

Giraffe and zebra sounds like a great hunt already!

Great stuff, keep us posted

I have always wanted to hunt giraffe just to get a lovely skin for the trophy room.

Giraffe and zebra sounds like a great hunt already!

Zebra was on the last hunt. It's already at the taxidermist in SA. I don't know that I'll take another. I thought a giraffe flat skin might make a good complimentary piece.

You are a safari veteran now! Actually this is a very interesting thread. Tell us about planning the second one and what you were thinking along the way. We have had many discussions on AH about planning safaris especially first safaris but discussing the second one can be as interesting! Thinking about what you liked, didn't like, wished you had time or money for etc?

Regards,
Philip

There really hasn't been much planning involved. My wife and I had such a good time on the last trip that we were pretty committed to coming back before we ever got on the plane home. So far, the only real planning I have done is to schedule timing with Pawprint and putting the start of a trophy list together.
Things I liked would be a pretty lengthy list, and the dislikes would be a fairly short list. I definitely will avoid November on future safaris. It was hot! I'm also planning the in country travel a little differently. On my last trip, we arrived in Johannesburg, drove to Hoedspruit the next day, hunted for a few days, then back to Johannesburg to finish the hunt. Too much time was lost on travel in a short trip. We'll be traveling less on this trip.
I think we'd all like more time on any hunt, but I had an opportunity to take all of the trophies on my list the first time, so no regrets on that front. On my last day, as we were recovering my zebra, there was a nice bull giraffe standing about a hundred yards off watching us. That had me immediately planning the next trophy list!

I think you will like hunting in aug much better. Can be chilly in the morning and late evening but the day time is about perfect to enjoy the day out.

Wish you the best, Catahoula !

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BarrettAlfred

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross