Sabatti 92 Deluxe Safari 450/400 NE 24" Rifle on Gunbroker

Guys, thank you. I am very surprised that it went without any competition. Going by the item description, it has been fired about 20 times. I pray that this isn't a sign that the previous owner just got frustrated with it. I will be positive and hope for the best.
Thanks to 375 Ruger Fan for posting it. I saw it before today, but it was a great opportunity for somebody looking for a double rifle. It will go with me to South Africa in 2019 for Buffalo with Pawprint and Hippo some time after that.
Gents, it's sadly Us against a poorly informed world. Look out for each other and help where you can.

Let us know how the gun shoots! Hell of a deal if it shoots straight!

@Vanguard2279 glad you were able to buy the rifle. I looked at the pictures online and she looked very nice. The factory target shots were pretty good with Hornady DGX. I will say that from the one picture of the barrel crowns it looked like the right barrel my have been dremeled a little but from the angle of the picture it's hard to tell. Looks like you got it at a very good price even if you have to have minor work done. In fact, you got this rifle well below the Cabelas clearance prices of a few years ago. Hope you get it to the range soon and try it out. You and Pieter can get after those buffs with two doubles now.

CAustin:
I requested the seller to put up the picture of the muzzles and I've stared at it wondering the same thing. I will hopefully know more this week if it arrives. If there is a problem, I'm not going to freak. I will reach out to Mr. Owens (or if somebody has his contact info) and deal with it.
I think this would be good for a two-rifle safari. If this shoots to my satisfaction, I will take it as a companion to my Ruger Hawkeye African .375.

Vanguard:

Like many of the AH members, we all have bolt action rifles and some if not all of us dream of owning a double one day. A few weeks ago, I sent an email to one of the PHs I had hunted with a couple of years ago. This particular PH carries a Rigby 470 NE. Knowing that most of gun experts divide double rifles into two categories, Fine English doubles and everything else, I asked him his thoughts of clients buying a double from the "everything else" category. I listed Heym, Krieghoff, Merkel, Sabatti and Searcy. This is what the PH wrote to me:

The 450/400 is a great calibre but you will have to work very hard at becoming proficient with a double. The vast majority of people who buy and bring doubles to Africa don’t know how to use them. My honest advice would be to stay with the bolt action as that is what you are accustomed to using. I have experienced many clients who went the double root and I could tell you a string of stories of lost animals and other mishaps due to double rifles in inexperienced hands. However, if you do decide to buy one, you must be sure that it is made to fit you, otherwise you will not be able to shoot it accurately.

The makes mentioned below are not in the class of English doubles - they are on the whole quite a bit heavier. There’s nothing wrong with them really, but it is imperative that they fit you properly. The Sabatti has lines closer to English doubles but I have no idea how reliable they are - they are relatively new on the market.

You are the one who will have to make the final decision.
Wise advice from a very well known and respected PH. Thought I would share it. Good advice for all of us who either has a double or dreams of one.

CAustin:
I requested the seller to put up the picture of the muzzles and I've stared at it wondering the same thing. I will hopefully know more this week if it arrives. If there is a problem, I'm not going to freak. I will reach out to Mr. Owens (or if somebody has his contact info) and deal with it.
I think this would be good for a two-rifle safari. If this shoots to my satisfaction, I will take it as a companion to my Ruger Hawkeye African .375.

On gunbroker the seller as I mentioned had a picture of the factory shots taken with the rifle and they looked pretty good to me! As you say you will find out soon enough. But if it shoots like what was on the paper I think you are fine. You and Pieter can get after the buffs and maybe a big cat.
I tell ya I like it when an AH member gets a good deal and I think you did sir.

I've always thought of double rifles as highly-specialized tools. There will definitely be a learning curve and I will need to train to use it effectively. I saw a post by Ivan Carter some time ago where he suggested using a red dot optic to enhance capabilities to 150 yards. Obviously, the initial testing of the rifle will be done with iron sights and then I'll move to a reflex-type optic. I appreciate the advice, gents. Fortunately, I got the rifle cheap enough that I won't be devastated if I need to have it worked on.

Awesome find!

Vanguard2279. Great find I hope it is a shooter. Like many say you must practice to get proficient with a double, but it is worth ever round shoot and minute spent at the range when you first touch your buff. Also you would be surprised at how many big bore have come my way from guys that have shot 2 rounds to 2 boxes of rounds through a rifle and the jump from 30cal to the 40's and up is more than they can handle. Their new "Bear/Elephant rifle" becomes a safe queen till they decide they need $$$ more than the big mean nasty rifle.

UPDATE: I picked the rifle up last night from American Shooters in Las Vegas. McClelland Gun Shop in Dallas was a pleasure to work with.
About the rifle: It's beautiful. Wood fit to steel looks very good with no noticeable defects. The engraving is fantastic. The recoil pad is a thin piece of red rubber that is surprisingly firm. Length of pool was listed in the description as 15 1/4". I am going to have it shortened about 1.5" and a decent recoil pad added. Trigger pull is a little heavy, but I can live with it. If the gun needs work, then I'll get a trigger job as well.
The serial number is CAB-05@$ so I'll take a shot and say this was a rifle made for Cabela's. I have stared at the muzzles and the right barrel may be slightly oblong. It's very subtle. The rifling appears to come all of the way to the muzzle. I won't have the chance to shoot it for a while as I leave for the Eastern Cape on Thursday (Plains Game with African Cape Safaris). I won't worry until I see how it shoots. If I struggle with it, I will seek professional help.
Thank you, everyone, for your words of advice.

Glad you have the rifle in hand sir

Good luck on the upcoming hunt and be sure to keep us all up to date on your progress in learning and evaluating the new double. Many of us want to know the details of how it goes!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FlynnHeini

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.