SAA firearms fees are in full force - $65 to leave Africa

rookhawk

AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
On return from Africa SAA will nick you for a $65 firearms fee now. This started a few months ago. The fact they were not "the most significant carrier" per the Montreal Convention rules didn't matter. The fact that the ticket was on Emirates and that SAA was a subordinate leg of the trip didn't matter. Be prepared to get hit up for $65 cash at the airport.

Telling them I didn't pay inbound didn't matter. Telling them I booked their flight via a more significant carrier on the same ticket didn't matter. Telling them I flew inbound on Business Class and was allowed 4 pieces of luggage (used only two) didn't matter either.

They are being a PITA. Had the payments last Sept. when I was there. Going to a foreign country (Zambia or others) costs more.
Bruce

Meh. British Airways charges far more. It’s stupid, but not over the top either.

Does this have to be paid in cash?
How much should one plan on if your going to Zimbabwe

On return from Africa SAA will nick you for a $65 firearms fee now. This started a few months ago. The fact they were not "the most significant carrier" per the Montreal Convention rules didn't matter. The fact that the ticket was on Emirates and that SAA was a subordinate leg of the trip didn't matter. Be prepared to get hit up for $65 cash at the airport.

Telling them I didn't pay inbound didn't matter. Telling them I booked their flight via a more significant carrier on the same ticket didn't matter. Telling them I flew inbound on Business Class and was allowed 4 pieces of luggage (used only two) didn't matter either.

$65 per rifle ?? Or for rifle case??

Small price to pay considering everything else involved in a Safari. Do the hide/horns also have to pay on the way home (in addition to their $900 plane fare)? lol $150 rifle fees in other countries. No such fee charged when flying through JHB (connecting flight) to another country recently. If you refrain from shooting a baboon, you'll save enough for the fee!

On a safari costing tens of thousands of dollars how significant is $65? Yes, it is an annoyance, but not really a significant expense.

Now, if during the layover I don't get a massage at the business lounge, then I'd get mad. ;)

On a safari costing tens of thousands of dollars how significant is $65? Yes, it is an annoyance, but not really a significant expense.

Now, if during the layover I don't get a massage at the business lounge, then I'd get mad. ;)

This would seem to be true, but start adding up all those little extra and they do add up to a degree. Tipping every bastard and other fees adds cost that put safaris out of the reach of a lot of people. So it is a cost that is not needed by anybody.

Meh. British Airways charges far more. It’s stupid, but not over the top either.
It is my understanding that firearms aren't even allowed as checked baggage on British Airways flights (operated by Comair) in Africa. This was the policy in 2019.

Your monthly fee to chat with us on the Internet is >$65. Just cut it off on that last month before Safari...No charge.

Just use Hornady ammunition. You'll save the $65 and then some with a single box of .470 NE!

One person, one rifle doesn’t seem so bad, but paying for two people and two rifles, and traveling across and back across borders, suddenly things start adding up just getting nickel and dime to death!
I originally understood it was $100/rifle on SAA to cross a border, ie taking my granddaughter from Joberg to Windhoek...$200. Return to Joberg...$200. $400 additional dollars to take my own rifles to hunt!? Seems expensive in my checkbook. $65 is quite a bit better (35%), but still $260 for a baggage handler to throw my rifle into the hole! It just doesn’t seem right to charge this.

I don’t think this little is going to save SAA. JMO

I don’t think this little is going to save SAA. JMO

SAA is not unique in this. I am flying Turkish airlines business class this coming August. Firearms is 60 Euro each way. Not sure if it is per container or per gun at this point.

I flew last time with a SAA police officer in the row with me. He explained at least some of the reasoning behind rules like that. Only licensed people are allowed to handle guns in most Africa countries. Which means that a baggage handler is not allowed to touch your gun case. Which means in most cases, the airlines hire a off-duty police officer to work the gun cases on flights. Which means an extra charge. (not nearly enough to charge every gun owner $65, but if only one person on the plane has a gun, they still need to have someone there to handle your gun.) Stupid rules to someone from America, but at least understandable. It still feels like death by a thousand pricks.

Pretty petty way to try to save their ass from bankruptcy. Guess every penny counts. Hopefully by this time next year when I go they will have it straightened out. Might determine if I take one or two rifles. If they charge by the gun, one. If they charge by the case, two.

Lufthansa; 150 Euro per gun case per flight, plus's 100 US handling fee at Johannesburg. Travelling Oslo-Joburg-Oslo the gun costs more the a economy class passenger ticket...

Hi all,
I travelled with a Pelicase 3300 and ammo box Pelicase 140 , CZ550 and 3 boxes of 375 ammo.
Brussels-Frankfurt was 50 euro one-way with Lufthansa.
Frankfurt-Windhoek with Air Namibia, they charged me 440 Euro (FRA-WDH-FRA) (double rate for beeing oversized!)
All the other hunters leaving from FRA travelled with take-down rifles, now I know why!
Upon my return I complained with Air Namibia but they replied it was the correct fare as more than 158cm in total.

Brgds,
Marc

Just use Hornady ammunition. You'll save the $65 and then some with a single box of .470 NE!
...Then sell the 19 loads leftover to the PH in country (to discount your bill multiple $65s and cover the subject fees on that safari.) Brilliant idea bringing up DG ammo costs!! Give that man a rifle permit!

Another thought occurred along these lines-Is there a GoFundMe site for Safaris?

Air Namibia IS Bankrupt (now gov't.-owned I believe,) so every penny they can collect helps Namibians get some payback. On a trip spanning a distance more than half way around the world, I'd anticipate a few fees...One could wait in-line at customs checkpoints for hours to get your visa and passport stamped OR you could hand a note to an official and jump to the front of the line (this can add a day to a safari!) Cash Is King in Africa (just not African cash)!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelishaRae

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois