SAA firearms fees are in full force - $65 to leave Africa

In my travels last Sept they tried to run my credit card, but it wouldn't go through. My credit card co knew of my travel plans. I think that it was either equiptment or internet failures. So yes bring enough cash to make it through.
Bruce

Your monthly fee to chat with us on the Internet is >$65. Just cut it off on that last month before Safari...No charge.
But then the re-hookup fee is $65. Never going to win unless we stop traveling.

All this haggling over a firearm charge and most on here wouldn't say a word about the checked bag fees that the airlines are charging here in the US.

As they say they have you by the short hairs.

On return from Africa SAA will nick you for a $65 firearms fee now. This started a few months ago. The fact they were not "the most significant carrier" per the Montreal Convention rules didn't matter. The fact that the ticket was on Emirates and that SAA was a subordinate leg of the trip didn't matter. Be prepared to get hit up for $65 cash at the airport.

Telling them I didn't pay inbound didn't matter. Telling them I booked their flight via a more significant carrier on the same ticket didn't matter. Telling them I flew inbound on Business Class and was allowed 4 pieces of luggage (used only two) didn't matter either.

SAA is just following the rest of the airlines. They are even charging for local flights as well. The few that are still in operation.

When dinner is $650 per person before drinks, tip or tax at the restaurant, $25 for a drink is not that significant. Hence my point in comparing a $65 firearms fee to the overall cost of the Safari.

I guess then you'd say one can shoot rabbits in one's backyard and save the cost of the Safari. ;)

Experiences would differ though.

No, it means you don't have a drink at dinner, plain and simple. I get the distinct impression money means nothing to you. If you are in that position then full marks and I admire your ability to achieve this. (y)However do not try and justify a small amount as being of no consequence. They all add up.
Will this stop me going again, not if I can afford it, as I said this sort of money grab - means $194AUD as depart SA twice- will result in my tips being less.

...I get the distinct impression money means nothing to you. If you are in that position then full marks and I admire your ability to achieve this. (y)However do not try and justify a small amount as being of no consequence. They all add up.
Will this stop me going again, not if I can afford it, as I said this sort of money grab - means $194AUD as depart SA twice- will result in my tips being less.

It has nothing to do with money having no meaning. Heck, I buy my 5.11 gear in bulk at black Friday once a year when they have their 20% off sale and wait for free Hazmat to buy gun powder in bulk at Powder Valley.

However, I do not sweat the small stuff, especially when I have no control over it. Airlines charge for luggage, firearms etc. world over. Now, one can mitigate the luggage charges via CC offers or loyalty programs etc.. Firearm charges, unfortunately not at this moment.

If you are concerned with the small stuff adding up then budget for it like you said. Take it from your tip budget like you have stated (though seems unfair to tip recipients at the Safari), or make your own drinks as you also mentioned, to save for it. ;)

You have months and months to save the $194AUD probably comes down to less than $1 AUD a day. If you took the loose change from your pockets each day and put it in a jar by safari time I am sure you will have the gun fees saved.:LOL:

TIA, everyone has their hand out. At least this one is a known fixed price vs a shakedown and related risk of "losing" baggage or missing a connection.

It has nothing to do with money having no meaning. Heck, I buy my 5.11 gear in bulk at black Friday once a year when they have their 20% off sale and wait for free Hazmat to buy gun powder in bulk at Powder Valley.

However, I do not sweat the small stuff, especially when I have no control over it. Airlines charge for luggage, firearms etc. world over. Now, one can mitigate the luggage charges via CC offers or loyalty programs etc.. Firearm charges, unfortunately not at this moment.

If you are concerned with the small stuff adding up then budget for it like you said. Take it from your tip budget like you have stated (though seems unfair to tip recipients at the Safari), or make your own drinks as you also mentioned, to save for it. ;)

You have months and months to save the $194AUD probably comes down to less than $1 AUD a day. If you took the loose change from your pockets each day and put it in a jar by safari time I am sure you will have the gun fees saved.:LOL:

Then add on all the other airlines charging extra for rifle etc. It all adds up. Your tips on saving money I already do. Sweat the small stuff and you don't have to sweat the big stuff.

Yes reducing the tips is unfair to the recipients but I ain't made of money so something has to give. QANTAS never use to charge extra for firearms, looks like they are now going to, SA use to allow you to pack your ammo in your checked luggage, not now.

The money grab is a pain in the back pocket, even if I was a multi millionaire I would not be happy about it and would resent it and something would have to give. If all hunters jacked up about it and did not travel these unneeded additional cost would disappear very quickly.

Last edited:
... If all hunters jacked up about it and did not travel these unneeded additional cost would disappear very quickly.

No hunter (well, almost none I guess ;) ) is going to forgo traveling to a hunt in Africa because of a few extra $$ in additional airline fees. Do I like it? No, I do not though there really isn't much one can do. I guess to make up for it I can start having my firm charge clients a bit extra to pay for these sundry fees. ;)

No hunter (well, almost none I guess ;) ) is going to forgo traveling to a hunt in Africa because of a few extra $$ in additional airline fees. Do I like it? No, I do not though there really isn't much one can do. I guess to make up for it I can start having my firm charge clients a bit extra to pay for these sundry fees. ;)

And that is how the world works(y)

That's exactly it, hunting isn't cheap, traveling isn't cheap, so it's expected that hunting trips will be rather expensive; and when you're looking at the price of your rifle/shotgun, plane tickets, equipment and license fees, you're starting to think that a $65 fee isn't really much!

Many countries have exit fees. Legal extortion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LucaFitzgi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross