AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Tanzania, Zimbabwe, USA (Northeast, midwest, Rockies, Alaska), Canada and Hungary
Has anyone flown this route lately?

I'm looking for a run down on how the flight is.

Seat comfort?

Plugs available?

Entertainment Quality?

Amenity Kit (do I need a tooth brush etc?)

Thanks all!

When I flew over a couple of years ago in the cattle section I found the seats quite comfortable and had no problems with leg room or the seat. I'm 6'4" and 240 lbs. At that time the gave out a little package that contained a tooth brush, some paste, wet wipe and a couple other things. The movies were very good but then there were a lot of good flicks at that time but you could also scan over some older TV series that they had playing.

I flown coach in September 2016.

Seats were good.

No plugs

Entertainment was good

Amenity kit were more than sufficient with toothbrush , toothpaste , night socks , eye cover etc...

Quite a lengthy flight though

While I haven't flown that flight, I have flown SAA on the Airbus 340 on other routes (lagos to joburg) and their b-class is as good as any other airline. Wouldn't hesitate to use them if the price and schedule works best for you.

While I haven't flown that flight, I have flown SAA on the Airbus 340 on other routes (lagos to joburg) and their b-class is as good as any other airline. Wouldn't hesitate to use them if the price and schedule works best for you.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I can't use miles like Delta but I save a day each way by not connecting in Atlanta which would have me missing my connection to Kasane.

Never flown on an A340 but it looks big and comfy in the business section based on Brickburn's Seat-guru post. Is the flight a straight shot or does it stop and refuel? Good luck on your hunt!

Never flown on an A340 but it looks big and comfy in the business section based on Brickburn's Seat-guru post. Is the flight a straight shot or does it stop and refuel? Good luck on your hunt!
Straight shot, Charlie. It's friggin long too. I don't fly well and hated it, but it was nice to save the extra day travel each way

Thanks! Straight through. I flew the same route 22 years ago on a 747 and there was a stop for fuel in the Canary Islands. They have the range now.

I flew SAA business class from IAD to JHB. The seats were nice and I was able to lay flat and sleep. Entertainment is good for flights but being able to get a good sleep was the most important thing to me. I landed I felt fine and not as drained as when I have flown cattle class.

South African recently changed to the pay for what you want business model, so the cheap seats we used to get now are the same price but with NO checked bags and ZERO amenities. You now have to pay the next higher level to get checked bags and seat selection, etc. Not the deal it used to be. Hate to say it, especially with the new electronics changes, but I may be doing emirates next time. Basically the same price but you still get 2 free bags and some extras. 7 hrs longer total travel time but the long leg of the flight is shorter.

Two class airplane (most major airlines fly three classes internationally), so a somewhat upgraded business class. Have flown it twice and extremely comfortable both times. It isn't United or Lufthansa first, but I would rate it slightly better than their business.

That's a good flight to do business class on because it arrives in the morning. You can get some sleep (not so much in coach!) and then make most any connecting flights because it arrives at 8AM. I was going to go this route but would have to overnight in NYC. It's actually shorter flying time than the Delta flight flight!
Have fun!
Philip

That's a good flight to do business class on because it arrives in the morning. You can get some sleep (not so much in coach!) and then make most any connecting flights because it arrives at 8AM. I was going to go this route but would have to overnight in NYC. It's actually shorter flying time than the Delta flight flight!
Have fun!
Philip

Thanks! That's why I took this instead of delta where I'd have to connect in ATL and it would take a full day longer each way because of missed connections.

I flew in coach on that flight last July with a connection to Kasane Botswana It's not bad and the time lineup is just right. Thou thanks to SAPS not getting my rifle on the connection I had to borrow a rifle the first day but Karl made it easy and sent a runner to retrieve my double the next morning. Good luck on your jumbo your in good hands once your there.

I flew in coach on that flight last July with a connection to Kasane Botswana It's not bad and the time lineup is just right. Thou thanks to SAPS not getting my rifle on the connection I had to borrow a rifle the first day but Karl made it easy and sent a runner to retrieve my double the next morning. Good luck on your jumbo your in good hands once your there.

Thank you sir! That's exactly my route. Hopefully, my rifles come. Which concession did you hunt?

Thank you sir! That's exactly my route. Hopefully, my rifles come. Which concession did you hunt?
Sobbi is where we started but it was dry last year and I was at the end of when Karl hunts it so we moved to sikunga and run into literally hundreds of elephant. We counted groups of 80,100,and 120 plus in one group each we would pick up lone bulls or small bull groups but by mid day they all joined in with big cow groups and we would have to sort thru them. I'm looking to go back in 2018 possibly both consessions are amazing places at the right time loaded with elephant. Also went and checked out Bwabwata. If I can pull the funds together I would love to hunt there also. All of his areas have great elephant in them and I know I didn't shoot the biggest bull we seen but it was the perfect setup on the one I did so I'm more than happy with it

Sobbi is where we started but it was dry last year and I was at the end of when Karl hunts it so we moved to sikunga and run into literally hundreds of elephant. We counted groups of 80,100,and 120 plus in one group each we would pick up lone bulls or small bull groups but by mid day they all joined in with big cow groups and we would have to sort thru them. I'm looking to go back in 2018 possibly both consessions are amazing places at the right time loaded with elephant. Also went and checked out Bwabwata. If I can pull the funds together I would love to hunt there also. All of his areas have great elephant in them and I know I didn't shoot the biggest bull we seen but it was the perfect setup on the one I did so I'm more than happy with it

Nice. I'm headed to Sobbe. It's crazy wet this year (still raining and I'm going late April), so that should be interesting.

Sobbe this time of year with all the rains should be great I'm sure you will see lots of elephant! Good luck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!