SA or Zimbabwe

CO_mtnman

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
So my dad and I have met with multiple outfitters and like them all and would love to hunt with all of them eventually but we can only go to 1 at a time. We have our short list narrowed down to a handful but we are having a hard time deciding which would be the best for us and would like to get some opinions of some veterans, how would you compare between the 2 and which would you suggest for a 1st timer, we would have an observer each if that makes a difference, it would also be our 1st international hunt as well

What are you wanting to hunt? If you want to hunt buffalo I’d suggest Zimbabwe. If you want to hunt plains game I’d suggest eastern cape South Africa. Limpopo generally has too many fences for me now. Comparing Zimbabwe and South Africa is difficult because it’s two completely different hunting models. The biggest draws to Zimbabwe to me are quality of PHs and tracking teams that know how to hunt in difficult areas. It is also wild Africa with dangerous game and no game farming. However, there are many very marginal areas that shouldn’t still be marketed in my opinion and many quality areas don’t have large amounts of plains game. I’d stay with one of the well known names in this country or speak with references you trust. Biggest draw to South Africa is availability of high quality plains game. Nearly all is going to be high fenced. You need to search out properties/outfitters that are managed on quotas and not continually supplementing trophies from game farming. To differentiate outfitters/PHs in South Africa I’d ask how long they’ve hunted the properties they’ve hunted and how long they’ve worked with their trackers and skinners. There are a lot of PHs in South Africa because requirements are easy and land is readily available. I’d focus more on the outfitter you are hunting with in South Africa. In Zimbabwe, the concession you’re hunting would be my top consideration.

Also, I would only hunt Zimbabwe with a Zimbabwe outfitter. I would not book a Zimbabwe hunt through a South African outfitter.

Last edited:
For DG, absolutely Zimbabwe. For PG, as mentioned, above, at Zim you want to make sure the concession has a lot of PG. For example at Dande North not a lot of PG, but tons of DG. At Nyakasanga both DG and PG are abundant (I shot an elephant, buffalo, kudu, zebra, hyena, grysbok, warthog, and of course a baboon in 15 days). Below is a 59 5/8" Kudu that was an afterthought after I was done with my elephant and buffalo. At most livestock farms in South Africa that would have cost a premium instead of $1,750 trophy fee.

1673462195583.png

I am going to hunting buffalo and my dad will be hunting a few plainsgame with kudu as his #1, my #1 outfitter is Zimbabwe and my dad's #1 is SA so we are trying to figure out what would be best for both of us

Jacques @JKO HUNTING SAFARIS has a couple of areas in South Africa that may work for both of you. The first is in the Free State near Bloemfontein. It is a large area of approximately 50,000 acres. I have hunted there myself and the buffalo are definitely turned on. We would see them from upwards of a mile away and they would move on out.

The other area is in the Northwest Province, in the Kalahari. There is a resident self sustaining herd of buffalo there of approximately 200 individuals. The off take there is limited to a quote of 5-6 animals per year. This is also a good PG area including Kudu.

If you’d like more information, please let me know.

What are you wanting to hunt? If you want to hunt buffalo I’d suggest Zimbabwe. If you want to hunt plains game I’d suggest eastern cape South Africa. Limpopo generally has too many fences for me now. Comparing Zimbabwe and South Africa is difficult because it’s two completely different hunting models. The biggest draws to Zimbabwe to me are quality of PHs and tracking teams that know how to hunt in difficult areas. It is also wild Africa with dangerous game and no game farming. However, there are many very marginal areas that shouldn’t still be marketed in my opinion and many quality areas don’t have large amounts of plains game. I’d stay with one of the well known names in this country or speak with references you trust. Biggest draw to South Africa is availability of high quality plains game. Nearly all is going to be high fenced. You need to search out properties/outfitters that are managed on quotas and not continually supplementing trophies from game farming. To differentiate outfitters/PHs in South Africa I’d ask how long they’ve hunted the properties they’ve hunted and how long they’ve worked with their trackers and skinners. There are a lot of PHs in South Africa because requirements are easy and land is readily available. I’d focus more on the outfitter you are hunting with in South Africa. In Zimbabwe, the concession you’re hunting would be my top consideration.

Also, I would only hunt Zimbabwe with a Zimbabwe outfitter. I would not book a Zimbabwe hunt through a South African outfitter.
+1…I can’t say it any better. I felt lucky my Africa experience was perfect for me. Eastern Cape SA for PG…great value with great animals at low cost. Next trip still SA but not Eastern Cape for DG…great animals and value. Now I am going to Zim due to wanting a different experience which is what Zim is from SA

I see you have 2 places in mind for the hunt so no need to try to and sell you something.

I would talk with your dad more. With taking observers with if there not hunting or wanting to travel with you maybe Sa would be better. If you think there ok with just going with you then either place will work. Then may have a few more option on actives to do in SA that are not all hunting related.

I would really get what everyone wants out of the trip as hunting will be fun either way. Yes zim is wilder but dont let the few who always feel the need to put Sa down stop you from seeing the fun and beauty Sa has to offer.

If you've done your due diligence and are comfortable with the safari companies you're evaluating, you'll have fun in either country. That being said there is something to be said for no fences and wild Africa. Personally if you're taking wives or whatever observers, I would probably just do the plains game SA thing for your first time. Then go to Zimbabwe or Mozambique on your second trip and get hard core with some buff in wild country.

For DG, absolutely Zimbabwe. For PG, as mentioned, above, at Zim you want to make sure the concession has a lot of PG. For example at Dande North not a lot of PG, but tons of DG. At Nyakasanga both DG and PG are abundant (I shot an elephant, buffalo, kudu, zebra, hyena, grysbok, warthog, and of course a baboon in 15 days). Below is a 59 5/8" Kudu that was an afterthought after I was done with my elephant and buffalo. At most livestock farms in South Africa that would have cost a premium instead of $1,750 trophy fee.

View attachment 510508
This is damn amazing, Thanks for sharing.

You might also want to consider the Caprivi in northern Namibia. Great buffalo hunting and plenty of plains game. You will also have the opportunity to encounter some of the other big 5/dangerous 7 in the area. When I was there last year we saw lots of elephant, hippos and crocs. Saw lions briefly and heard them quite a few times at night. Again, it is all about the type of experience you are looking for. Another good point made earlier was what do your observers want to do? Just be prepared, Africa has a way of getting under your skin and calling you back again and again.

From the sounds of it, we have more than 1 safari to start planning lol. I was thinking for the 1st safari would be for buffalo since my kids won't be going and my wife thinks I would enjoy it more without watching over the kids and for the 2nd safari was going to be more plainsgame focused (unless the buffalo bug bites me, which I hear they are biting) and the kids will accompany us

From the sounds of it, we have more than 1 safari to start planning lol. I was thinking for the 1st safari would be for buffalo since my kids won't be going and my wife thinks I would enjoy it more without watching over the kids and for the 2nd safari was going to be more plainsgame focused (unless the buffalo bug bites me, which I hear they are biting) and the kids will accompany us
What’s the price range you are looking at? I wouldn’t overthink it and I’d stay with your original two options, but from a cost perspective Zimbabwe generally has lowest prices for buffalo and plains game in a wild area, some areas of Mozambique can compete with Zimbabwe and some are considerably more expensive, trophy Caprivi buffalo are typically rather expensive but less expensive than buffalo in Zambia. Zambia isn’t particularly well known for good kudu hunting but has some other very unique plains game.

Before we get too far down into the rabbit hole which is fun and easy to do I think I'll just stick to Zimbabwe and SA for now until it's time to book subsequent safaris then I'll start looking at other countries

What about the logistics? Trophies Shipping، paperwork, travel. ..ect? Does SA more easy with such things?

What about the logistics? Trophies Shipping، paperwork, travel. ..ect? Does SA more easy with such things?
Trophy preparing and shipping will be more expensive because not as much competition as South Africa. It was also much slower for my shipment. South Africa you should have your shipment in 4-6 months. My Zimbabwe shipment took a year for several issues that took time to sort out before permits were issued. I thought getting a firearm into Zimbabwe was even easier than South Africa. Flying in is simple too, but only daylight driving is safe because of other drivers/cars on the road.

Last edited:
South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Botswana, Zambia and Namibia. Take your pick- all good. And of course Tanzania or Uganda if you have some extra dough. Broaden the horizons. Africa is a big place. Research with an open mind. Marketing is marketing. I would not suggest driving on a DIY adventure. Fishing and bird hunting are often overlooked. And likely there will be more than one trip.... so a mindset of cramming everything into one trip is not practical, may be counter productive and add unnecessary stress. :)

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hi88vipsite

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg