Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 12.50.39 PM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 240
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 12.50.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 12.50.41 PM.png
    935.7 KB · Views: 245
  • Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 12.50.43 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-10-03 at 12.50.43 PM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 255
I found following notable species, not necesserily all to be huntable in Rwanda:

Bush elephant

Forest elephant

Black Rhino

Afriacan wild cat

Caracal – African golden cat

Lion

Leopard

Palm civet

Spotted hyena

Side striped jackal

Grants Zebra

Warthog

Giant forest hog

Bush pig

Warthog

Hippo

Girraffe

Klipsprnger

Oribi

Buffalo

Eland

Bushbuck

Sitatunga

Duiker, 6 subspecies

Roan

Impala

Waterbuck

Bohor Reedbuck

Last edited:
Interesting thought. Hunting may be more difficult to pull off than Rwanda realizes.

Game comes out of Akagera into crop land. Also south of the park, buffalo cross the swamp/river from Tanzania and raid crops. Landowners call the game department. The game department doesn't have rifles. They have to call the military who occasionally come by and shoot some buff with an ak. Then the buff start raiding at night for a few months then the process is repeated, or at least that is how it worked 3-5 years ago.

The problem is all this land is pretty much developed into farm land. Moving people off to create a hunting concession may be difficult.

In the article, the country seems like they could get 1,000 h together for a concession. Most hunters would not want to hunt on an area that small.

A few years ago there were rules/laws limiting the amount of land people could have. 1,000 h was way over what the law was if I am remembering correctly.

Rwanda was called the Switzerland of Africa for a reason. It is a beautiful place. Hopefully something comes of this so hunters will want to visit.

This would be very interesting to see. On the discussion about a small country and huge population, the same applies to Uganda, which Rwanda borders. Uganda has developed a very well run hunting industry with very good areas, even though small and huge population. You will wait 2 years to get in. Hopefully Rwanda can accomplish same thing.
If you start reading into it. Rwanda is actually a very stable country and has a growing economy that is actually benefiting its people.

While not huge, Uganda is probably 10 times the size of Rwanda. No doubt its a nice place in some ways, but hard to see how it becomes a top hunting destination anytime soon.

While not huge, Uganda is probably 10 times the size of Rwanda. No doubt its a nice place in some ways, but hard to see how it becomes a top hunting destination anytime soon.
Would be impossible to become a top hunting destination, Uganda can never be a top hunting location either. But, it could become a good and viable hunting destination for a few hunters each year if it would come together. Will be interesting to see if hunting industry should ever actually develop there.

Uganda is an attractive option, but is also quite a bit pricier than the usual suspects.

In his book “Big game Hunting” Sacha Montbel Describes Rwanda as “ lost paradise of the big black buffalo”...The reason he gives is that the buff in this area represent a transitional type between the northern and southern buffalo.Their horns do not recurve like the Tanzanian buff instead they tend to grow out making 42 inches an average bull! The good quality of pastures adds to the big frames so if their are still genes left in the hills of the “Switzerland of Africa” Rwanda may find a niche product...

Rwanda is well run and a good example of how it can be done. Everyone in the country including the President has to pick up trash on Saturday! Whereafter he enjoys a game of tennis! This guy had a disagreement with France - Rwanda’s ex colonizers so over night he changed the country to English speaking and have then the bird...

Rwanda is a small country, and they are stacked in there pretty tight in places. Some of the hills look like every inch is occupied or cultivated. I will say this, though...I have traveled/backpacked through 48 countries (20 in Africa) and Rwanda is top 5 for me personally. Spent time in Kigali and Ginsenyi and crossed into Goma, DRC from there. The people we encountered were amazing and resilient and went go out of their way to be kind. I would go hunt there if the price was reasonable. It won't be the next "big" destination, but I am happy when any closed country opens hunting.

Give it a chance man, it is a massive step in the right direction, why knock it?

In his book “Big game Hunting” Sacha Montbel Describes Rwanda as “ lost paradise of the big black buffalo”...The reason he gives is that the buff in this area represent a transitional type between the northern and southern buffalo.Their horns do not recurve like the Tanzanian buff instead they tend to grow out making 42 inches an average bull! The good quality of pastures adds to the big frames so if their are still genes left in the hills of the “Switzerland of Africa” Rwanda may find a niche product...

From what I have seen and understand, the only buff that may have survived the civil war were in Akagera, along the eastern border. In all likelyhood, the buff and most wild animals/ungulates that are in the park now, migrated out of Tanzania. The buff that raid the area south of Akagera are coming in from Tanzania too. The war decimated everything.

In all likelihood, the buff that were in Rwanda prior to independence are genetically the same as the buff just east in Tanzania. There are some wide spreads among many of these buff.

As far as I know, the Akagera area is the only place in the country with ungulates. The area around the park has no buffers, farms/gardens are tilled right up to the park boundaries. A lot of people would have to be moved to make a hunting area happen.

Rwanda is well run and a good example of how it can be done. Everyone in the country including the President has to pick up trash on Saturday! Whereafter he enjoys a game of tennis! This guy had a disagreement with France - Rwanda’s ex colonizers so over night he changed the country to English speaking and have then the bird...

Paul Kigami may be the worlds most amazing leader in the past 25 years. The country is run similar to Singapore. Everything is not perfect, Rwanda should be the armpit of Africa, considering where they came from, instead they may be Africa's greatest success story.

Rwanda isn't a democracy in our sense of the word. Benevolent dictatorship may be more like it, but that is the only way to have turned it around.

From what I have seen and understand, the only buff that may have survived the civil war were in Akagera, along the eastern border. In all likelyhood, the buff and most wild animals/ungulates that are in the park now, migrated out of Tanzania. The buff that raid the area south of Akagera are coming in from Tanzania too. The war decimated everything.

In all likelihood, the buff that were in Rwanda prior to independence are genetically the same as the buff just east in Tanzania. There are some wide spreads among many of these buff.

As far as I know, the Akagera area is the only place in the country with ungulates. The area around the park has no buffers, farms/gardens are tilled right up to the park boundaries. A lot of people would have to be moved to make a hunting area happen.

Paul Kigami may be the worlds most amazing leader in the past 25 years. The country is run similar to Singapore. Everything is not perfect, Rwanda should be the armpit of Africa, considering where they came from, instead they may be Africa's greatest success story.

Rwanda isn't a democracy in our sense of the word. Benevolent dictatorship may be more like it, but that is the only way to have turned it around.

Kigame is a bloodhound who executes opposition members abroad (last week,the last?)
Hundreds of thousands of people have fled to neighbouring countries, countless dead because of him, all after the great genocide of 1998.
His armies are plundering the eastern part of Congo.
Yes, plundering, robbery, murder and rape also creates a gross national product.
In the HDI Index, Rwanda (157) comes after Zimbabwe (150) !!! and Zimbabwe has long been on the brink of collapse.
Switzerland of Africa is as outdated as the pearl of East Africa (Uganda)
Singapore ?
No way. Sorry.

Last edited:
Kigame is a bloodhound who executes opposition members abroad (last week,the last?)
Hundreds of thousands of people have fled to neighbouring countries, countless dead because of him, and I do not mean the great genocide of 98.
Yes, plundering, robbery, murder and rape also creates a gross national product.
In the HDI Index, Rwanda (157) comes after Zimbabwe (150)
Singapore ? Wheels not everything that limps is a comparison.
Sorry.

The problems between the Bahutu and the Watutsi is centuries old. It predates European Colonialism and the borders that the colonial powers made.

The Bahutu and Watutsi inhabit the eastern part of the DRC, Burundi, nw Tanzania, sw Uganda and Rwanda. The percentage of the population that tribes make up is a little different in each area. Yes there were city states/kingdoms that proceeded colonization, but Europe created these lines/borders. When you talk about the problems in these areas, you are talking about much more than just Rwanda.

If Hutu commit crimes and torture and kill Tutsi in Kivu, the EU doesn't complain about it. Neither does the UN. If Tutsi cross these European made lines to correct the problem and punish the terrorists, then Rwanda and Kigami should stand trial at the Hague, in the opinion of the EU and UN.

It seems you would rather Rwanda be like eastern DRC, in a state of constant failure since before independence?

Give me a break.

How do you go from a failed state much worse than Somalia, to a top performing country in Africa in 25 years. As I said before, Rwanda isn't a democracy in the western vernacular. Rwanda is working much better than most of Africa, however.

It seems that Europeans can't stand for an African country to succeed without the help of Europe. Europeans have to continue to beat them down into subservience, to keep them dependent on aid. Perhaps European colonialism is still alive. It has just changed form to include aid and NGO's.

Kigami can't be controlled by European money like other African leaders, so Europe has to go after him through the UN and the media.

Last edited:
Hundreds of thousands of people have fled to neighbouring countries, countless dead because of him, all after the great genocide of 1998.
In the HDI Index, Rwanda (157) comes after Zimbabwe (150) !!! and Zimbabwe has long been on the brink of collapse.
Switzerland of Africa is as outdated as the pearl of East Africa (Uganda)
Singapore ?
No way. Sorry.

Never heard of the hdi index before so asked mr Google...saw it's a UN creation so consider it a load of bullshit....just looking at some countries ratings compared to others had me laughing...so :E Shrug:

Lets get back on topic gentlemen, so can we agree that opening hunting in any country is a positive step that deserves support? I live in a hunting paradise already, but if prices were reasonable I might go for an unusual species.

Lets get back on topic gentlemen, so can we agree that opening hunting in any country is a positive step that deserves support? I live in a hunting paradise already, but if prices were reasonable I might go for an unusual species.

Kevin we are just being realistic....Rwanda is the most populous country in africa population to land size....and yes it's very nice to hear positive things ...but on this one I really dont see how....putting this on again...look st the different drop down sections...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg