Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Asia/M.East
Member of
Life Member SCI , Life Member RMEF
Hunted
Africa, New Zealand,Russia
After 12 days hunting moose in Alaska and not filling my tag last year, I figured I’ve give Kamchatka a shot for a different type of moose hunt. I hunted bear in Kamchatka back in 2010 and had a great time. Worst part about Kamchatka is the travel. Moose hunting in December can be and it was very cold temperature ranged from -17f to -25f but with the right gear it was tolerable. Best part about the cold is no mosquitos and tramping through swamps of Alaska. The outfitter was great from the start of booking to end of the hunt. There is always a lot of questions when trying to fine the right outfitter especially hunting in foreign countries. He was very timely in answering all my questions through a translator. As we all know they know most tell us what we all want to here so you never really know until the end how everything is going to turn out . He was true to his words. The only frustrating thing at times was communication but I knew this going into it. Frustrating might be the wrong word but there’s alway things to like to ask or know during the hunt that couldn’t be answered but like always we got through it.

The hunt was conducted out of a comfortable log cabin .
IMG_0256.JPG
From there we traveled on snowmobile looking for fresh tracks in the snow and then following.
IMG_0243.JPG
The tracks mostly always ended into the thick forest where the snowmobile could not travel do the the thickness of the trees and deep gullies. We saw several smaller bulls and a couple in the low 50” range but not what I was looking for. On the last day we saw what we thought was great bull on the edge of the forest and of course he went into the thick stuff . We bailed off the snowmobile and followed the tracks on foot. A very tiresome task in the deep snow. We eventually caught up to the bull and he was a great bull. Following him a bit more for clear shot I was able to connect and my bull was down.
IMG_0277.JPG

We were at least 3+ hrs from camp. We headed back to camp to get the sled to load up the trophy and bring back .
e1c84550-e618-4115-a279-1cd2e0245e33.jpg
. The sled sure beats packing a moose out of the mountains.

Overall it was a great trip and I’m already booked for a Kamchatka Snow Sheep for next year with him.

Neat Moose.
Congratulations.

What a bull and cool adventure! Congrats!

Seems like an interesting adventure.

Great bull, congrats !

Quite an adventure, congrats!

Great looking bull. Congrats.
Bruce

Outstanding moose! Thanks for sharing the adventure. Can you provide a few more details? What route did you take to get there? What outfitter or booking agent did you use? Any issues with exporting trophies? Thanks!

Beautiful moose, congrats!

Nice bull Qwatali! Looks a bit chilly there for sure :)

I'd like to know a little more as well. Who's the outfitter, did you have a translator on site (not necessarily on the hunt). Were you the only hunter at the camp? Were there any observers?

Great bull! Please tell us more!

Good looking moose, congrats!

I'd like to know a little more as well. Who's the outfitter, did you have a translator on site (not necessarily on the hunt). Were you the only hunter at the camp? Were there any observers?

I booked the hunt through an hunt booking agency. If I’m allowed to post the name I will. His outfits name is One Hunter. His name is Igor Anatolevich. He doesn’t haves web site and I couldn’t find anything on the web about him. He uses the booking agency because his English is very limited and the agency helps him with the translation on questions and booking. They did give me 2 American hunters as references. Talked with one of them and he had nothing but good reviews. For the price of 11k I figured I’d give it a try and if not successful on the harvest $3500 would be returned. You can have a translator in camp if you wish. The referred hunter mentioned he did have a translator in camp with him, I believe he said he paid $200 a day. There was two hunters in camp prior to mine, one was an American they both killed great moose that I saw in camp. He only takes a very limited number of hunters. Two in camp max. I was the only hunter for the last week of the December season. He does not hunt moose in the September season only the late season. This was a last minute so I couldn’t find anyone to travel with me. So I headed out on my own. The trophies will be prepped by him then transferred to Moscow. The expeditor in Moscow will complete the paperwork and crate for shipping to US .

Outstanding moose! Thanks for sharing the adventure. Can you provide a few more details? What route did you take to get there? What outfitter or booking agent did you use? Any issues with exporting trophies? Thanks!

Thanks ! I flew from Houston to New York , New York to Moscow and then Moscow to Kamchatka. Aeroflot airline . I’ve flown them on two different hunts to Russia now , each time I had to overnight in Moscow because of there late departing. This time had to overnight coming and going. They cover the hotel but its a hassle . He picked me up in Kamchatka \Petro. We dove to his house in Mil’kovskiy which was about 3 hrs. We overnighted at his house and headed out the next morning to his camp by snow machines. Hopefully it won’t take to long on shipping . He preps hide and sends them to Moscow. Trophies r us in Moscow will complete permits and crating to US. Had great service last time with them. Moose is not an CITIES animal like the bear so hopefully all goes well.

Last edited by a moderator:
In the European north, many hunters prefer to go after moose only after the leaves have fallen - for visibility - and temps have dropped - for more troublefree meat preservation.

WOW! That is one fine moose! Congratulations!

How was airfare in country?

How was airfare in country?

I flew what aero flot calls comfort plus , wanted the extra room for the long flights. $2425 round trip .

Air Russia has a flight from Anchorage to Kamchatka but it’s only from middle of July to middle of September.
Definitely taking this one on my sheep hunt . Half the air travel time . Only a 4hr flight from Anchorage vs 20 plus hours from New York.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Huntingthewoods

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois