Ruger triggers

Jamie D Van Roekel

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
It has been years since I’ve shot a Ruger. How are the triggers on a Ruger African?

Thanks

The newer versions of Ruger rifles have what's known as the LC6 trigger. I have a 338 WM and 375 Ruger with these. I replaced the factory trigger spring with a lighter spring and now have a very nice 3 pound trigger in both. Swapping out the trigger spring is super easy, simply remove the stock to get access to the trigger, remove old spring, install new spring, reinstall the stock. Takes 5 minutes and no special tools. The spring is $8, best money you'll ever spend.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 8.45.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 8.45.59 AM.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 8.46.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-17 at 8.46.00 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 37
I have a couple of 77's. Ones a "tang safety" and the other is the 3 position wing on the shroud and two SS Alaskans in 375 Ruger.

Triggers were not bad, but not that good either. All I did was carefully polish the sear faces with a fine diamond dust impregnated hard rubber "stone", being careful to NOT change the angles of the faces. Then pulled the trigger return springs and carefully nipped off a quarter of a coil at a time, reinstalled them until I got the pull weights down to just under 3#. Have to be VERY careful you don't take too much coil off or the trigger won't return/reset if you do.

And, if you do screw up the return spring, you can match up more than adequate replacements at a hardware store. I messed up the first one I did and replaced it with a stainless steel one from Ace HDW for about a buck. Once I was sure it worked fine, ended up converting the others to the same SS return spring.

Edited to add: I've done this on 5-6 other friends Rugers, all of my M98 variants, and a couple of Win 70's. Not rocket science, just be careful and go slow. It's a lot easier to take metal off than to put it back.

Last edited:
Out of four M77 MKII's and two M77 Hawkeyes, the latter with the LC6 trigger is definitely better. My MkII's have Rifle Basix triggers. But my .375's, I just polished all the contact points, and cut down a Glock firing pin spring to make me a lighter trigger spring. Now they break like glass. I'd say they are 3-3.5 lbs.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DelbertBat

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross