Ruger Super Blackhawk - 44 magnum

Round Ball

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I really enjoy shooting and hunting with revolvers, especially when they are accurate!

I built this one a couple of years ago, and shooting Hornady's 265 gr. Flat Point at 1,610 fps., it just flat out hammers everything that I have shot with it.

6-shot groups @ 100 yards average 2" when measured center to center when shot from the bench.

If I can remember everything, here is a list of specs for the work done on this gun.

In factory form, this gun started out as the 10 1/2" Silhouette model 44 magnum.

The barrel was cut back to 10" and threaded for a muzzle brake.

The barrel to cylinder gap from the factory was .011" / now it is .0023"

The forcing cone was cut to Taylor specs, after the bore was lead lapped to a mirror finish.

Factory trigger pull was 9 1/2 pounds / now it is 2.11 pounds.

Factory wood grips were replaced with a Hogue Finger Groove grip.

The gun is set up for sling carry.

The top strap was drilled/tapped for a custom scope base.

The attached scope is a Bushnell Trophy 2X-6X-32mm handgun scope.

I'm sure there were other things done to this gun, but that is all I can think of at the moment.

1634833274245_032-2.jpg

How would this gun fare in Africa, strictly as a "plains game gun" and out to what distance with the specified bullet and listed velocity??

Very cool. Similar to the Stalker and Predator conversions MagnaPort did, or still does. Always wanted one when I was a kid.

I really enjoy shooting and hunting with revolvers, especially when they are accurate!

I built this one a couple of years ago, and shooting Hornady's 265 gr. Flat Point at 1,610 fps., it just flat out hammers everything that I have shot with it.

6-shot groups @ 100 yards average 2" when measured center to center when shot from the bench.

If I can remember everything, here is a list of specs for the work done on this gun.

In factory form, this gun started out as the 10 1/2" Silhouette model 44 magnum.

The barrel was cut back to 10" and threaded for a muzzle brake.

The barrel to cylinder gap from the factory was .011" / now it is .0023"

The forcing cone was cut to Taylor specs, after the bore was lead lapped to a mirror finish.

Factory trigger pull was 9 1/2 pounds / now it is 2.11 pounds.

Factory wood grips were replaced with a Hogue Finger Groove grip.

The gun is set up for sling carry.

The top strap was drilled/tapped for a custom scope base.

The attached scope is a Bushnell Trophy 2X-6X-32mm handgun scope.

I'm sure there were other things done to this gun, but that is all I can think of at the moment.

View attachment 440653

How would this gun fare in Africa, strictly as a "plains game gun" and out to what distance with the specified bullet and listed velocity??
Nice!

I used my 1970 vintage Super Blackhawk to take a number of both cow and bull elk with a Speer 240 grain jacketed bullet, most with one shot kills.

Just remember that with a pistol it is distance and shot placement that is the most important.

The 265 gr Hornady is an overlooked gem in a handgun. Designed for the .444 Marlin, it is tough and penetrates extremely well, while still providing some expansion.
Put the bullet where it counts and you should good for anything up to kudu. That said, it is still a .44 mag and I’d limit it to 75 yds on larger, tougher species.
That is a really nice rig.

JimP,

I have been shooting deer and coyotes since 1982 with various Super Blackhawk handguns, and shooting and hitting game out to a little over 200 yards is not a problem.

Having never been to Africa before, I know that the game over there is a lot tougher, and I was wondering if my load would be adequate for the possible game encountered there.

I have complete confidence in my shooting abilities, I just don't want to have an animal run off and die.

Without exception, I always shoot for the top point of the front shoulder, and when a deer is hit, that is where it falls!

Would a front shoulder shot on plains game be just as lethal!

Meigsbucks,

thank you for your input on the Hornady bullet, as well as range limitations. That is a big help!

Thank you!

My list of work on the above pistol should also have also included the oversize base pin, as well as an oversize pawl with heavy duty spring - both of which allow for a rock solid lock-up, and allow for increased accuracy potential from this particular hunting handgun.

I tried to edit my post, but it seems impossible after several minutes.

With correct shot placement I don't believe that plains game is any tougher than a bull elk. They both can absorb a lot of punishment before they go down but I don't think that they are any tougher.

I have not been fortunate enough to shoot a bull elk with this particular handgun, but I have loaned it out to several friends who have managed to kill several bull elk with it.

All shots were high in the front shoulder, and all of the elk fell within 3 steps of where they were shot. I saw this on the recorded videos, so I know the guys were honest about it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg