Ruger RSM 458 Lott to 450 Rig

Hi Toby,
I still have the Sako 450 Rigby sitting in the safe as I had to leave it behind and head back to Africa for work. The same thing with the RSM, time was against me.
I suppose I will pull it out sometime in the next six months when Im back for a few weeks.
It functioned and fed well well and I didn't have any issues with it. I love the .450 Rigby round, especially when loaded with a 550 gr projectile between 2250 and 2300 Fps. Most people who buy the sako in the XL action seem to go straight to the 500 Jeffery, but I got a good deal on this one when I bought it and I just liked the .450 Rigby round plus I didn't see the practical need for a larger round.
If you end up getting the Sako I would recomend changing over the recoil pad and adding some weight to it, some people also change out the big white bead front sight, but I kind of like it.
I pulled mine out of the stock to look at it and it is epoxy bedded from the factory although the factory screw on recoil lug seems a little flimsy, but I have not heard any complaints aside from one that I know in 500 Jeffry that split the stock, but others I have seen have been fine so perhaps it was just that it had a faulty stock and I know Beretta replaced that stock.
The thing I like about it is that its 4 down in the mag and when I bring it up to my shoulder everything just lines up and Im on target without haveing to move around, so it fits me well. However truth be told I am just not a fan of laminated stocks.
I hope that helps. Happy Hunting.

Thanks for the reply. I agree with you that these rifles fit very well. The sako rifles have always fit me like a glove. I have looked at both the 416 Rigby and 500 Jeff, but my local store doesn't have the 450. I already have two 416 rifles, and don't really see the need for a 9.5 lb 500 Jeffrey. So, seeing how easy it is to get 458 components, I see the 450 as the logical choice. I assume you could even make brass by expanding the neck on the readily available 416 Rigby cases.

When I purchased the .450 I just went ought and bought a bunch of Norma .450 Rig brass its about the same price as the .416 Rig brass. You can fire form the .416 Rig to .450 Rigby. I think the 500 Jeffery would be great but I had to draw a practial limit somewhere. You might also look at CZ as was they chamber the 450 Rigby in the Safari Classic range. There are a few for sale on Gun-broker.
Whatever you decide I'm sure you will be happy with it.

When I purchased the .450 I just went ought and bought a bunch of Norma .450 Rig brass its about the same price as the .416 Rig brass. You can fire form the .416 Rig to .450 Rigby. I think the 500 Jeffery would be great but I had to draw a practial limit somewhere. You might also look at CZ as was they chamber the 450 Rigby in the Safari Classic range. There are a few for sale on Gun-broker.

I am planing to convert either cz458 lot or ruger 458 rsm to 450 rigby. I will take all the advice I can get. I already got the reamers fro PTG.

Did you ever get that converstion done.
Krish

I thought the quarter rib on the Rugers was on studs and soldered and screwed on..not machined, integral, I think Id bet money on that..????

You may be right Ray, but as I had a new barrel ( larger profile) and wanted to keep the old barrel in 416 with its rib complete. It required the production of a new rib. I am not sure how my gunsmith attached it, but its on there and I am happy with the results. I am on shift for a week ( away from home) Ill post some pictures of my 450 R RSM when I get home.
Hope this helps

Regards
Pat

They are machined integral. That is what lot of gun experts say.

They are machined.
20200710_122350.jpg
20200710_122212.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!