Ruger RSM 458 Lott to 450 Rig

SWARA

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I have a Ruger RSM in 458 Lott that I want to convert to 450 Rigby.
I wanted to ask if anyone out there has made this conversion to their RSM.
Not wanting to get into debates here about Lot vs 450 Rig just to know whats involves asides from reaming out the chamber.

By the way this Ruger RSM will replace my Sako Brown Bear in .450 Rigby which I will be selling..

You'll also need to open the bolt face and possibly address the magazine, follower and rails. All in all, about as simple as it gets.

Good luck on the conversion.

By the way this Ruger RSM will replace my Sako Brown Bear in .450 Rigby which I will be selling..

just out of interest why are you wanting to do this if you already have the brown bear in the 450? is the sako not that good?

Nothing wrong with the Sako, 4 down with the Rigby round and 22 inch barrel, but I just can't get excited over laminated stocks.
Always wanted an RSM and picked this one up from a friend never fired and still in box. Have over 100 450 Rigby brass and dies plus I like the Rigby round better (works better with 550 gr and up projectiles) . So I thought to ask if anyone had done this type of conversion on the RSM before I decide to plunge into it.

No expierience with the 450 Rigby. But I own several RSM's. First off, personally I would want to keep the original barrel as the machined integral quarter rib is too much part of the RSM to give up. ;) So I assume you need to rechamber it. The parent case being a .416 Rigby (from my very brief research), it should be a fantastic match to the RSM when you're done:) In my guns, the 416 Rigby chambered ones seem the best overall.

I have one done in 505 Gibbs, more problemmatic as with that extra big case, it will only hold 2 down and to load 3, i have to chamber a round, then load the magazine from the bottom and clip it shut. But then it does not feed reliably and may puck a shell when ejecting that first chambered round. So I normally load 2 down and chamber one of those... so I really have a two shot, although I have been able to reload pretty quickly in hunting situations.....

Best of luck with your project!

@Action Bob, Thanks for the info. You 505 Gibs conversion sounds like a beast.
I was not planing to change to barrel, but to only rechamber for the Lot to .450 Rigby.
Thanks.

Nothing wrong with the Sako, 4 down with the Rigby round and 22 inch barrel, but I just can't get excited over laminated stocks.
Always wanted an RSM and picked this one up from a friend never fired and still in box. Have over 100 450 Rigby brass and dies plus I like the Rigby round better (works better with 550 gr and up projectiles) . So I thought to ask if anyone had done this type of conversion on the RSM before I decide to plunge into it.

ok thanks. hope it works out well.

@Action Bob, Thanks for the info. You 505 Gibs conversion sounds like a beast.
I was not planing to change to barrel, but to only rechamber for the Lot to .450 Rigby.
Thanks.
Should be a fantastic conversion, best of luck with it.

I did this with a 416 Rigby RSM to 450 Rigby , I used a krieger barrel and had a new identical rib made and ordered sights & barrel band from NECG. I used a slightly heavier barrel profile to try and mitigate the
recoil. Jason Spencer in Ottawa , Canada did the work, his report that the feeding from 416 to 450 was not any problem. The biggest effort was manufacturing the new rib to match the RSM profile on the action. I did have to fiddle a bit with front blade height to get the rifle to print at the correct height in regards with the express sight blades with Norma factory ammunition.
As Action Bob mentioned it would be easier to reuse the stock barrel if you where of that mind. Only draw back for me is that I wanted to keep the original 416 Rigby barrel in OEM shape.
With a barrel wrench & vice they will switch quite readily.

I regret that I am away from home at the moment otherwise I would attach a picture.

My only regret is that Ive not had a chance to take this rifle on "tour".

Regards
Pat

Pat, Thanks for your advice. would love to see how yours turned out.
I can say that I'm hoping to do the least possible in this conversion. I know that assides from the re-chabering that I will most likely have the open up the bolt face, but hope that not much more will need to be done.
Can I ask how many round down your 450 Rigby will take.
Thanks .

Can I ask how many round down your 450 Rigby will take.

It'll take three, just like the 416 Rigby RSM.

As stated by it will take 3 down, the 450 R and the 416 R have the similar case dimensions just the big brother is 45cal.

I might add you have to run the bolt on both these large cases with "enthusiasm" as discussed in another thread about the RSM

Regards
Pat

Thanks Pat,,, Might be a bit of a stretch on that reamer as I am in Kenya.
(y)

Did you end up selling the Sako? How did the Sako feed and function? I'm interested in these rifles, and am considering a 450 Rigby.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
luchkabody

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!