Ruger No1 7X57

Finn fan

AH member
Reaction score
Articles
I'm at the point in my life where you start seeing the writing on the wall in many regards. After next year my ability to purchase more firearms is basically done.

I have always wanted a Ruger No 1 in 7x57. I like both the International stock and the Alex Henry forearm and suspect I could purchase either depending on what I ran into. I have always fancied the No 1 and I am well experienced with the 7x57. I healthy dose of IMR 4350 below a Hornady 154 grain spire point gets everything done in the world of whitetail.

However seemingly every post I find praising the model I find a post with a horror story of one that shots patterns not groups. SO my question is this.. Is there a better time frame during the course of manufacturing to look for? Or is the quality lapses just luck of the draw? Or internet stories?

Thanks for any info.

John Barsness talks specifically about the Ruger No 1 in his "Big Book of Gun Gack." A very good read, with chapters on everything from primers to specific cartridges. In the chapter on the .270 he talks about acquiring a No 1 and makes a distinction between red pad (early and less accurate) Ruger N0 1's and black pad (later and more accurate) ones. The recoil pad color change occurred when they switched to a better barrel. So his advice would be to look for one with a black recoil pad.

I just bought one off of a member on here. Haven't had much time to shoot due to the all the rain we've been getting, but I'll let you know when I finally get out to shoot her

The No. 1 is finicky about pressure points, I have seen the same gun go from piss poor accuracy to outstanding by shifting where you place your support bags on the bench. I have also seen them that it doesn’t make a difference where you place the bags and they shoot good. I have found the best accuracy if you can place your support as close to under the receiver as possible.
P.S. not being able to buy more guns! Say it’s not so!

I had a No 1 RSI and while it would group 1.25 to 1.5" off the bench, shooting off hand was almost impossible because there was no weight up front to steady it. I think the 1A balances much better and if I run across one in 7x57 I'll post pictures.:)

I have three number ones all black pads and they all shoot fine! 300 Win Mag, 375 H&H and 458 Lott. Love the all.

Currently looking for one in 25-06 or 243 in stainless steel laminated stock for my grandson. Want it to Match Pa Pa’s big guns
4312EC34-BE6F-41CB-B1CE-523E0A02B282.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Do a search on this forum and others about No. 1 accuracy issues. I have read something, somewhere about them but cannot narrow it down for you-Sorry ! I think it was something to do with the forend interfering with the barrel and so they need to be free floated.

Thank you for all the info. Very valuable in the search.

Well it finally happened! I picked up an awesome Ruger #1 in 7x57. After opening the box I ran to the range to get acquainted. The rifle shoots nearly everything into a 1.5 inch or less group at 100 yards . I tried 139 gr PPU, Winchester 145 gr factory, and some handloads.

One odd thing the little beauty doesn’t care for Sellier and Bellet 173 gr factory. It groups them oddly horizontally the hole are only about .5 of an inch but it strings then vertically about 3.5 inches. However I would still hunt with that accuracy.

The rifle was made in 2001 and has the black pad. Very happy with the gun.

Congrats and welcome to the world of the Ruger No. 1s. I have three (243, 270 & 25-06), and all are red pads, and shoot good enough for me (average 1.5" @ 100 yds). Where I hunt this accuracy is acceptable since most shots are between 50 yds & 150 yds. I have not reloaded for them yet, so maybe I can squeeze a bit more accuracy from them. What I like about the No. 1s is how classy they look. In my opinion, it is an elegant rifle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KathrinMcG

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!