Ruger no1 577

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Papabear55, Jul 9, 2018.

1. Papabear55

Papabear55 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    I'm in the process of discussing rebarrelling my no1 in 458 lott to 577 nitro with my gunsmith. I've talked to a few who won't even attempt it due to the .216" that has to be taken out of the action to fit the larger case. They claim it isnt a safe conversion, what do ya'll think? I've had others tell me its perfectly fine due to low pressures in this cartridge, and i know of some of these conversions being done.

CAustin likes this.

2. Russ-F

Russ-F AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA (UK); Scottish Gamekeepers Association; English XX (Bisley); Sportsman’s Association.
    Hello,

As I mentioned on your other thread regarding reloading - the .577” it must be a tight fit in the Ruger No.1. It obviously is if you need to remove that much metal.

As regards pressure, Kynamco list these working pressures for their current loads:

.458 Lott is 18.5 tonnes/Sq inch.

.577-3” (750 grns at 2050 fps) i.e. the load you mention is 14 tonnes/Sq inch.

.375 H&H is 18 tonnes/Sq inch.

So the .577 is certainly lower but not ‘low’ as such (by the same measure a 3” magnum shotgun has a working pressure of just 4 tonnes/Sq inch).

Regards

Russ

3. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    It’s been done and can be done but the work needs to be performed by a knowledgeable smith (JD Jones will even jam his 600 JDJ (a blown out 577) into the No. 1).

ve7poi likes this.

4. Papabear55

Papabear55 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Thank you for ya'lls imput. I know its possible and i have a smith that may be able to do the work. I've considered just doing the 500ne 3" but i really am set on the 577, its been a dream of mine gor years.

5. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    It’s been a dream gun of mine for years, too. In fact, I designed a falling block rifle for the cartridge (actually, the original design was sized for a 600 NE but I decided to scale it down to the 577).

6. Papabear55

Papabear55 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Which falling block did you use? Is it built yet? I'm curious how your success was with how much ive been told not to try it

7. Bullthrower338

Bullthrower338 AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
    Hunted:
    USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
    Gary Reeder in Flagstaff, AZ does these conversations also. He may be higher than a lot of Smiths but his work is impeccable. Also SSK as mentioned above. JD Jones is also incredible.
    Cheers,
    Cody

8. Papabear55

Papabear55 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    I actually talked to gary and the largest he'll go on a no1 is 500ne. Ssk and jdj are just a bit too expensive for what i need. I may have a guy, he's fixed some of jdj's rifles but he's never actually built a 577 before

9. cbvanb

cbvanb AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Zambia, Zimbabwe, Canada
    Why no larger that .500,did he give you a reason?

10. Papabear55

Papabear55 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Apparently you have to take too much metal out of the action for it to be safe. Idk, ive seen it done with others

11. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    One thing to bear in mind is the margin. Rifles are designed for proof pressure but intended to be used within SAAMI (or CIP) limits. In other words, the margin exists for a reason. I trust SSK. Mr. Jones knows his stuff. He’s been at it for a good, long while. Others? They’d require a successful history to secure my money.

As an aside, the loveliest Ruger No. 1 I’ve ever seen was chambered in the .577 Nitro Express. I saw it at Puglisi’s Gun Emporeum in Duluth, Minnesota. The rifle even featured splendidly engraved false side plates. No doubt, she was a work of art (and, I’d assume, entirely serviceable).

Papabear55 likes this.

12. CTDolan

CTDolan AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Which did I use? It’s an amalgamation, a design which borrows the best from many (Farquharson, Fraser, H&H, and so on).

Papabear55 likes this.

13. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Sir the No 1 in 458 Lott will take down anything your going to hunt. I used the exact same model rifle and caliber as a back up rifle on my elephant hunt. I would listen to the advice of the gunsmith.

14. Papabear55

Papabear55 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    I'm away it will work, but i want something different. Its been a dream of mine since i was a little kid watching safaris on t.v. with my grandpa to own a double or single in a nitro express cartridge. And i figure why not go bigger than what the average joe has? And honestly, i doubt I'll ever be able to afford a double rifle anytime in the next 18 years and by then with my knees going to sh*t from falling out of planes for a living, i doubt id be able to handle a hunt in africa

CAustin likes this.