Ruger no1 500 nitro

Papabear55

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
One of my dream guns has finally arrived! Put together by ssk industries for the previous owner and she is absolutely gorgeous. Ive fired 4 rounds through it so far and it is a pussycat, to my surprise. Had a small crack in the wrist where it meets the tang which has been addressed by my local smith. Tomorrow after work i will be taking it to the range to test some handloads (95gr 96gr and 97gr of rl15) and see how i like the skinner peep that is on it. I'd upload some pictures but im not entirely sure how. This will be this upcoming years deer, bear and elk rifle. Sooner than later id like to get back up to alaska for moose and another grizzly. Some day, probably 10 years from now, this rifle will be going with me to Africa after buffalo!:D:D:D:D

I figured out the pictures!
20191229_095709.jpg
P1110163crop.jpg

You are in a pretty select group, for sure.

Not too many No 1 rifles in 500 Nitro!

I am actually rather curious how many of these there are in the world

Dang...if I had known you owned a 500 Nitro I could have sent those 19 570gr TSX I have, along with the Woodleighs.

Dang...if I had known you owned a 500 Nitro I could have sent those 19 570gr TSX I have, along with the Woodleighs.
Haha i didnt even realize that was you! Ive got a stockpile of 570gr woodleighs for this that ive aquired over the last year or so. The 405gr you sent me are awaiting some free time to get loaded up

i dare ask how much the rifle weighs?

-matt

I built one years ago and the metal work was done by Wild West Arms in anchorage, it was a blast to shoot. But a nephew needed it more that me so I gave it to him as a gift.

Have fun.

... Had a small crack in the wrist where it meets the tang which has been addressed by my local smith. ...
Hope it is fixed in a way that prevents it from cracking again.

I looked at the photos first, and was thinking that it looked like a Skinner sight. Peep is good - but it takes getting used to, if you haven't used a peep before.

Hope it is fixed in a way that prevents it from cracking again.

I looked at the photos first, and was thinking that it looked like a Skinner sight. Peep is good - but it takes getting used to, if you haven't used a peep before.
We drilled out the crack a little from the inside and packed it with glass bedding epoxy. Im going to try the peep out today, used them alot in the service but never much on a hunting rife

If the epoxy isn't enough, you might have to embed a bolt there.

20191012_111427-jpg.309615

At least you know how to look through the peep, then. I believe a peep is faster and more accurate than traditional iron sights on a rifle - and it obscures less of the target.

Attachments

• 20191012_111427.jpg
    20191012_111427.jpg
    201.5 KB · Views: 107
Last edited by a moderator:
If the epoxy isn't enough, you might have to embed a bolt there.

20191012_111427-jpg.309615

At least you know how to look through the peep, then. I believe a peep is faster and more accurate than traditional iron sights on a rifle - and it obscures less of the target.
Yea we had pondered throwing a cross pin in there but we didnt do it. If it cracks again we will go that route, or just replace the stock.

I like shooting with peeps but usually yse a front post not a front bead

I had a custom .404 Jeff that had developed several cracks in that area. I don't like or trust repairs in that area so just found a replacement for it. It wasn't as pretty a piece of wood, but at least it was solid. I bet that 500 is fun to shoot?:eek::eek::eek:o_Oo_O

I had a custom .404 Jeff that had developed several cracks in that area. I don't like or trust repairs in that area so just found a replacement for it. It wasn't as pretty a piece of wood, but at least it was solid. I bet that 500 is fun to shoot?:eek::eek::eek:o_Oo_O

It's fun that's for sure. Not nearly as bad as i anticipated

From the bench or standing? Shooting No. 1 big bores from the bench is punishing IMO. I shot a new to me No. 1 in 9.3x74R yesterday from the bench and two rounds of Hornady factory ammo had me reaching for the sissy pad.:eek:o_O

From the bench or standing? Shooting No. 1 big bores from the bench is punishing IMO. I shot a new to me No. 1 in 9.3x74R yesterday from the bench and two rounds of Hornady factory ammo had me reaching for the sissy pad.:eek:o_O
Going to try it from the bench today to test ny handloads. My other no1 in 458 lott kicked worse i think and wasn't too fun off the bench but manageable

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg