Ruger no.1 range report

I have several #1's with beautiful stocks on them, but the forearms leave a lot to be desired. Kinda like having a beautiful woman on your arm and you dress her in coveralls! Maybe it is just my pisspoor luck on this!

I like and agree with your analogy :) , what's your view on the scope mount options ?

I like and agree with your analogy :) , what's your view on the scope mount options ?
To be honest, all I have ever used are factory Ruger rings. I have not had a problem yet with them. My 458 and 45/70 wear open sights and haven't had glass atop so far.

Great looking rifle and might fine groupings sir. As I've posted many times before I love the Ruger #1, mine is in 300 Win Mag. They feel great in the hand and ax your groupings suggest accurate. I like your scope as well. Happy hunting and thanks for sharing the report.

I just got back from SA last Tuesday and I always wanted a Ruger #1 and I found one in 300 Win Mag and since I was going to SA I got it and started working on it for the trip. I didn't know that it was hard to get a scope adjusted where you could get a good eye relief set so I had to put on new rings. I also had a brake put on it to start and my PH said it was the quietest one he has ever had with him. I used it and Barnes VOR-TX 180 bullets and shot 6 shots and got 5 animals had to shoot a warthog twice. I can't speak anything but great things about the rifle. These are the first animals I have taken with a rifle for about 25 years since I have been bow hunting for that time. I wanted to see more of Africa
photo 2-7.JPG
photo 1-9.JPG
this time so I did this safari with this great Ruger #1. The stock is in great shape so I used the cover while on the trip to keep it in that shape.

Tom

Sorry Could have put these in on the last one. Here is the last
image-4.jpeg
image-3.jpeg
time out before I left.
The group up an inch and a half is at 100 and the other is at 200 a slight wind at 200 so I didn't change anything.
Tom Check out the animals on my page:)

image.jpg
My wife gave me the Ruger #1 pictured above and that is one reason it's my favorite. The second reason is that it just takes down the animals. Mine has the gray laminated stock with bright stainless steel barrel and action. I have used Winchester Ballistic Silvertips in 180 grain both hunts with great results. Just has a Bushnell scope on it but it zeros just fine.

Thanks CAustin! That is a great trophy pic! Those are are some great groups and a great looking rifle Bhfs300!

I'm thinking with a little more breathing control and practice with the trigger squeeze, you can reduce that group to 63/64". Just sayin' (y). Nice groups, seriously you can't ask for much better than that! My #1 in 405 Win using the Barnes 300 TSX moving around 2550 fps shoots groups like, love it. Can't imagine much living after putting a .366 caliber hole through something in the right spot. Good luck and stay safe.

Thanks! I appreciate it! I'd like to snag a no.1 in 405 some day, neat round. Very true, it definitely speaks with authority! Thanks, same to you

I have about 40 rounds to blow through my .405, might be interested in letting it go........ PM me if you get the chance.

My Ruger #1H Tropical in .405 Winchester:

Chrony target with load data:

Attachments

• mypictures1002.jpg
    mypictures1002.jpg
    395.2 KB · Views: 161
  • Barnes300grTSXFB001_zpse73f2520.jpg
    Barnes300grTSXFB001_zpse73f2520.jpg
    71.2 KB · Views: 150
Last edited by a moderator:
The Tropical #1 is a real looker......just classic American made.

Just purchased a NIB Boddington 300 H&H No 1. Would someone with a No 1 in his caliber mind sharing advice on best bullets, loads, scope choices, accuracy etc please? Anxious to start working with his rifle.

Just purchased a NIB Boddington 300 H&H No 1. Would someone with a No 1 in his caliber mind sharing advice on best bullets, loads, scope choices, accuracy etc please? Anxious to start working with his rifle.

I have one too as well as @tarbe. I believe Tarbe has got a bit further than I have with his. I was having some issues with flyers out of mine and was trying to get that resolved as summer hit. Once the heat comes on strong here, I quit shooting. I will be starting up again soon however.

Best load I had was 180 Barness TTSX with H4831 behind it. Accurate, but not terribly fast.

Unfortunately I have a serious No.1 addiction... I have ones in .270, .338, 450/400,9.3x74r, .458 Win Mag, .416 Rigby, .416 Ruger. Something about the single shot that brings up memories of hunting with the old man.
Yes, the wood on a the .270 is a lot to be desired but the .458 has a custom stock that is beautiful. My next few that I'll be looking for are the .375 H&H and smaller calibers.

I have some good loads but unfortunately I had my throat lengthened .200 inches, so they won't translate to a stock chamber.

I can say that I have found good loads with the 180gr TTSX and Hornady Spire Point, with IMR 7828 and 4831, as well as with Reloader 22.

I plan to find more! No problem getting sub-MOA with the TTSX especially.

Tim

Thanks for the reply guys. Yes, they're addictive rifles. I'm also have the 7x57 w/ 1.5-5 Leupold. Headed to MT next week to chase mule deer with it. Have to decide on a scope for the 300 H&H then I'll post a range report.

I should mention, I loaded my first batch of TTSX at 35 thousandths off the lands and have not tweaked the seating depth at all...I might be able to improve by messing with the depth, but all the loads at 35/1000 off did very well.

Tango

Forgot to answer your scope question.

I know it can be difficult to get the eye relief correct on these rifles. I have a Leupold VX-6 2-12x in Ruger rings and i was able to put the ocular lens right where it needs to be.

It can be difficult to impossible to get some scopes positioned correctly. Short-bodied scopes with objectives larger than main tube diameter are likely to give major trouble. You just can't slide them back far enough to avoid having to crawl up on the scope.

My $0.02!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelitaAu

Latest profile posts

Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,