Ruger no.1 range report

Voodooracer

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
I finally got my ruger no.1 in 9.3x74r sighted in, I really love the rifle and the scope, the leupold vx-r 2-7 is crystal clear and the illuminated reticle is wonderful to use. I was able to get some fairly decent groups with my eyes. I was having some difficulty since the crosshairs were covering a lot of what I needed to see but never the less, I'm sure with more practice I'll get there. I think I will have a trigger job done as it is a tad heavy for my liking. I was using 286 grain Norma American ph rounds for the initial sight in then switched to federal 286gr Barnes tsx's for my hunting load. I had a stellar 3 shot 50 yard group and once I moved out to 100 things opened up to around an inch. All in all I'm very pleased and am really enjoying the rifle, recoil is very modest, more of a shove than a slap. After my scope mount issues yesterday with my cz 375, today's trip was a breath of fresh air!
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

This was the 50 yard 3 shot group before moving to 100yds

image.jpg

These were about the average groups for me today at 100 yards.

"opened up to about an inch" - MOA sounds pretty darn good to me! Great rifle and cal. I love mine in .300 H&H and .270.

Thanks Red Leg! I was shooting my 257 weatherby before the ruger and that rifle is a tack driver so I got a little spoiled first thing today haha! The more I look at the paper the more the groups look a tad over the 1 inch mark but I'm still thrilled. I would love to snag one in 300 h&h someday! Classic safari cartridge for sure

I think the groups will be better with a trigger job, some of the old Rugers are really bad on trigger pull.

I hate when my groups "open up" like that but what ya gonna do???? ;)

It is down the road has I "need" at least one more bolt gun before hand, but y'all have really sold me on a No 1. Gotta get one at some point!

I agree, a trigger job will greatly improve things. They are really classy and tough guns, I'm a huge ruger fan

Yeah you're right , those groups are over an inch, SO WHAT?:eek: Looks good to me. I had one of those in that cal too and it shot great. Surprised you don't like the trigger. Every late model No.1 I have seen had a great trigger right out of the box. You should shoot it more, I bet it will smooth up to your liking. Great caliber in a great rifle! Dang, I may have to snag another one of those! I still have a couple of boxes of factory fodder for one. See what ya did now???!!!:LOL:

Yeah you're right , those groups are over an inch, SO WHAT?:eek: Looks good to me. I had one of those in that cal too and it shot great. Surprised you don't like the trigger. Every late model No.1 I have seen had a great trigger right out of the box. You should shoot it more, I bet it will smooth up to your liking. Great caliber in a great rifle! Dang, I may have to snag another one of those! I still have a couple of boxes of factory fodder for one. See what ya did now???!!!:LOL:

You don't look at posts from AH, unless you are a addict :whistle::whistle:;):cool:

Yea you are right, accuracy on paper is well and good but accuracy in the field freehand or off of sticks will be different. The trigger is just a bit on the heavy side for me, probably in the 4.5 or 5 pound range, I'd like it to be down around the 3 pound mark. It is very crisp when it does break though. I definitely will be shooting it a lot more, it is a blast to shoot! Haha every time I get on this sight reading everyone's posts, I find more and more rifles I "need" :D

For me at least, in the field, as long as the trigger is clean without too much creep, I find actual pull weight of little bother. A little extra weight on a hunting rifle may save one from " premature":rolleyes: escalation of conflict!

That is a very good point haha, that's definitely something to be avoided!

Yea you are right, accuracy on paper is well and good but accuracy in the field freehand or off of sticks will be different. The trigger is just a bit on the heavy side for me, probably in the 4.5 or 5 pound range, I'd like it to be down around the 3 pound mark. It is very crisp when it does break though. I definitely will be shooting it a lot more, it is a blast to shoot! Haha every time I get on this sight reading everyone's posts, I find more and more rifles I "need" :D

This is definitely the most expensive website I've ever frequented!!!! :eek:

This is definitely the most expensive website I've ever frequented!!!! :eek:
No kiddin! Since I found this site it has rejuvenated my fascination with my big boomers! Thank you all! I strayed for a little while, I was carousing around all hours of the night with .308 and smaller.lol. This place is great, y'all are a wealth of knowledge!

I don't own a #1 however I went to my local gun shop recently and looked at one in 450/400 and 375 h&h .

I was a little put off by the wood and that the #1 felt a little thin in the fore grip side , as well as the scope mont options .

I would like to hear your comments and views on my observation.

Some no.1's have very nice wood and others are average, it just seems to be luck of the draw. The fore end is on the thin side but it doesn't bother me too much. I owned one in 450/400 for a while and the recoil was quite stout. I think the 9.3x74r or the 375 h&h are at the upper limit of shooting comfort in the no.1 platform. If the no.1 was a pound or a pound and a half heavier in the 450/400 chambering I think it would be much more comfortable to shoot, that's just my view though, a lot of the gentlemen on here are much more experienced than I am and can probably speak with more authority than I can.

I have several #1's with beautiful stocks on them, but the forearms leave a lot to be desired. Kinda like having a beautiful woman on your arm and you dress her in coveralls! Maybe it is just my pisspoor luck on this!

I agree about the stout recoil in the bigger cals. I cannot imagine shooting one in .458!:eek: I got rid of my .450-400 largely for that reason and got a CZ .404 Jeff which is much easier to shoot. :)Scope mount options can be an issue for some, and an extended ring set must be used for some scopes. I have done this, no problem. As to the forend being thin, never noticed, in fact I find they fill my hand nicely. I have had some with boring wood, but most have nice and sometimes spectacular wood.

Its funny how things change as we get older. When I was a mere lad in my 20's, my brother and I stopped by the local gunshop in Seattle and proceeded to BS with the rather enigmatic chap behind the counter about rifles, pigs, taters and one thing and another like that. The subject of the No. 1 came up and the gent began to extoll the virtues of what he said was probably the finest rifle ever devised by man! I scoffed and loudly proclaimed in my youthful and brash ignorance that the No.1 was likely the butt ugliest rifle I had ever had the displeasure of casting my eyes upon!:eek: Why this guy acted like he was gutshot, turned purple with rage, and I started looking for the exit. :whistle:Now all these years later I have to agree with the man behind the counter. The No. 1 is thing of beauty. Got my first, a 1-A in 7x57 about 10 years ago and still have it. Several have gone thru my hands since, good shooters all. Currently have that 7mm and a really sweet shooting 1-a stainless in .257 Roberts. What a rifle! About ready to cast about for another!:D

I'm going to stay away from you addicts:whistle:, but I do love my Ruger bolt actions, honestly to me one of best things I love about them...flawless feeding and positive extraction everytime (y)(y)(y).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg