Ruger No. 1 African Adventure Series The Buffalo 450/400 Nitro

Happy for you @tarbe. You don't know how close I came to buying this rifle.

Thanks for holding off!!

I was shocked it was still here...with all the No 1 grubbers we have on AH!

They usually don't last long. I think maybe the 450-400 just doesn't have the following of the other calibers. But it does seem to be catching on somewhat.

I think a lot of guys don't realize how versatile this chambering is in the No 1. 41 Mag pistol bullets, cast lead at low velocity...or 400gr jacketed all the way up to 2,400 fps if you can stand the recoil in this light a platform (I have no intention of going over 2,250 - placement, placement, placement!).

Thanks for holding off!!

I was shocked it was still here...with all the No 1 grubbers we have on AH!

They usually don't last long. I think maybe the 450-400 just doesn't have the following of the other calibers. But it does seem to be catching on somewhat.

I think a lot of guys don't realize how versatile this chambering is in the No 1. 41 Mag pistol bullets, cast lead at low velocity...or 400gr jacketed all the way up to 2,400 fps if you can stand the recoil in this light a platform (I have no intention of going over 2,250 - placement, placement, placement!).

I have been told this round and load is very similar to my 416 Ruger in terms of performance

I have been told this round and load is very similar to my 416 Ruger in terms of performance

With handloads, yes.

Factory 450-400 is loaded to lower pressures than what you can run the No 1 at...so generally the factory loads run up to a couple hundred feet per second behind the 416 Ruger, depending on barrel lengths, of course.

Then you should get this one! My asking $$ is what I paid for it. It is a pretty one and does have nice wood.;)
I have one of these. If I didn't, I would buy this one. Impressive round! I am not selling mine!

Basically, to my mind, the 416 Ruger in a Guide Gun is a modern day equivalent to the 450/400 of old. Ballistics are close enough (400 grains at 2,250 fps vs. 400 grains at 2,150 fps) and bullet diameter is damn near identical (.416 vs. .408-.412).

I remember when these were sold new and I didn't buy one at the time. Head slap moment right now.:LOL:
Me too. I decided against it bc of ammo price. I could have bought them all a dealer price. Ugh.

But there is a complete set on GB for $9,500 starting bid!

I’m still looking for a Ruger African in .275. Ugh
They are nice. I think there is still the stainless full stock model on GB for $1700

They are nice. I think there is still the stainless full stock model on GB for $1700
I’m looking for the African Hawkeye specifically. I have all of them except that one and the .416 Ruger.

I have started collecting a few of them also....it's a bad habit haha

Glad it sold. I have two Boddington in 450/400 and would not sell one this cheap!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg