Ruger No 1 375 H&H to 404 Jeffery

Mountain Mold came in.

400 grain at .424 with 73% meplat.

Meant for 1,800 and under for plinking and short range deer/pigs.

photo (63).JPG

Hi Tarbe,

I know I'm a day late and a dollar short on the final specs of your .404 project here but, my dos centavos are:
26" barrel, Dorleac pattern front sight, island rear sight base, one standing and two folding, plus then a bit of lead in the buttstock to counter-balance the slight extra muzzle weight (from the 2" extra barrel length).
The over-all length of the #1 would then be about the same as a bolt action with only a 23" or 24" barrel (near perfect IMO).
The completed rifle as described would likely weigh around 10 pounds, also about right for this cartridge again IMO.
However you end it up, I look forward to seeing photos and a report on how it shoots.
Some day I will find the right deal on a proper .404 but in the meanwhile, I shall live vicariously through your project here.

Cheers,
Velo Dog.

Appreciate your thoughts on the project VD.

I too would like a proper 404. I was really Jonesing for a Heym Express.

Alas, by the time my taxidermy is in my house, I will have spent nearly the equivalent of 3 Heym Express rifles on my recent safari...so something has to give!

I will entertain myself with the No 1 project for now!

I am going to think long and hard about the barrel length before I pull the trigger. I have had it as short as 22" and as long as 25" in my mind!

Plus those other guys have me thinking about a quarter rib so I can mount a scope if I want.

Decisions, decisions!

Nope, total custom, one off.

Ses

Any chance you could post a close up pic or two?

I'd love to get a close look.

Thanks,

Tim

Spoke with the 'smith last week before heading out of town for the long weekend.

Still don't have an estimate of what all the work is going to cost...he is indicating it is going to be fairly expensive - especially if I have a rib added for scope mounting (as you would expect...that is not a cheap/easy deal).

Driving home from Missouri yesterday my wife and I were talking about the options and she says "If you think you will keep the No 1 in 404 for a while, who cares if you can't get your conversion money out of it...that cost will be amortized over a number of years of ownership".

What a keeper she is!!!

Spoke with the 'smith last week before heading out of town for the long weekend.

Still don't have an estimate of what all the work is going to cost...he is indicating it is going to be fairly expensive - especially if I have a rib added for scope mounting (as you would expect...that is not a cheap/easy deal).

Driving home from Missouri yesterday my wife and I were talking about the options and she says "If you think you will keep the No 1 in 404 for a while, who cares if you can't get your conversion money out of it...that cost will be amortized over a number of years of ownership".

What a keeper she is!!!

HEY!!!!

I told you the same thing a week ago!!!!

We better be careful or there will be rumors of a bromance.....

Too late! We're feeling the love between you two right through the screen!

My wife better not see this thread...

I'm having a 404 Jeffery built on a Win M70 Stainless 375H&H action. I'm using a Lilja 25" stainless barrel, #5 contour with 1 in 14 twist. The gunsmith is putting on a banded wrap front sight (CZ 550 style) and barrel band for the sling. I thought about the express 1/4 rib but decided to stick with the Willams adj rear sight. The gunsmith pointed out that multi leaf sights have to be manually regulated (notch filed) and have to be replaced if a different load or velocity of ammunition is used. I can't see shit anyway so I scope everything. It's almost done so hopefully by the end of the month it'll be in my much poorer hands. I have Norma brass, Hornady and Woodleigh bullets, dies/shellholder from CH4D so I'm ready to commence bombardment! :W Cal 50:

FYI: New England Custom Gun Ltd has express rear sights

she says "If you think you will keep the No 1 in 404 for a while, who cares if you can't get your conversion money out of it...that cost will be amortized over a number of years of ownership".

now @tarbe how long does your madam consider "a while"???? ;)...........

she says "If you think you will keep the No 1 in 404 for a while, who cares if you can't get your conversion money out of it...that cost will be amortized over a number of years of ownership".

now @tarbe how long does your madam consider "a while"???? ;)...........

I think sometimes she thinks 5 minutes is "a while".

In this case, I think 5 years would make her happy!

Hi Tarbe,

Dorleac pattern front sight

VD - even after googling this, I still don't know what it is!

Can you help me with a pic or a link?

thanks,

Tim

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JohnT3006

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg