AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI, AHEIA
Hunted
Canada(AB, BC, SASK, NWT)), USA (WY, MN, TX), South Africa (Limpopo and Eastern Cape), Zambia
Good day all,
I am still on my quest for a rifle in .416 Rigby. I have found a slightly used Ruger M77 Safari Magnum here in Canada that seems to be fit the bill. I would like all you big bore guys to chime in with your opinions on this Ruger.
Thanks in advance,

I would guess that it is reasonably priced! I have enjoyed all of my Ruger Rifles.

alot of people here really like Ruger M77 rifles... i do not. ive handled a couple of them in assorted calibers and was very unhappy with the triggers and found the actions to be so-so.

the best budget dangerous game rifle on the market at the moment is the Winchester M70 Safari Express chambered in 416 RM. a close second is the same rifle chambered in 375 H&H but i find it to be a touch heavier then it should be. second best rifle is probably the CZ 550 magnum, these are built heavy and have set triggers which i consider a bonus. the CZ rifle is available is just about any chambering for those who have a taste for classic cartridges.

-matt

I like the M70 too, and actually prefer it to the Ruger. In 416 Rem the M70 would be my pick. But if your heart is set on a 416 Rigby, the M70 is not an option. For some folks, only the Rigby will do. Of the value-priced 416 Rigby options, I much prefer the old Ruger RSM to the CZ. The set trigger on the CZ is not for me...at least not on a DG rifle. Personal preference I guess. Also, I think the actions on the CZs I've handled were a bit rough and would require gunsmithing to make them right.

I really like my RSM in .416 Rigby, better than the CZ in the same caliber. Some have complained about the placement of the bolt handle, but I've not had a problem with it.

Thanks for all the replies, much appreciated. Have decided to go for it and made an offer so we will see how it goes. I already have a CZ 550 in 375 H&H which I like but the set trigger is no big deal to me. I have read a couple reviews where they mention the bolt handle being an issue but until I use it who knows. The bolt handle can always be changed. I have also read the reviews on the CZ .416 Rigby action being fairly rough and needing work. So we'll see.......

A friend in the industry believes the Ruger Magnum would be a 4K rifle if built today.

Attachments

• Screenshot (107).png
    Screenshot (107).png
    472.3 KB · Views: 621
  • Screenshot (111).png
    Screenshot (111).png
    483.3 KB · Views: 671
  • Screenshot (112).png
    Screenshot (112).png
    531.1 KB · Views: 676
  • Screenshot (113).png
    Screenshot (113).png
    449.9 KB · Views: 677
  • Screenshot (114).png
    Screenshot (114).png
    490.8 KB · Views: 595
  • Screenshot (115).png
    Screenshot (115).png
    469.7 KB · Views: 612
  • Screenshot (116).png
    Screenshot (116).png
    321.7 KB · Views: 625
  • Screenshot (117).png
    Screenshot (117).png
    621.3 KB · Views: 591
  • Screenshot (118).png
    Screenshot (118).png
    606.7 KB · Views: 598
I’m pretty sure I’ve shared this before:

http://www.morrisonarms.com/2014/09/the-ruger-safari-magnum-rsm-a-tribute-to-an-old-friend/

The Ruger isn’t perfect, it isn’t “best quality”, but it is a fine rifle.

I think this is well put CT. If one looks hard enough they can find something wrong with most any rifle out there. For instance the CZs in heavier rounds are said to have feed issues. Never experienced it myself but I have heard it soooo many times there has to be something to it.
Every Ruger I’ve owned has performed well in the field.....not just at a store or range. The term “grave yard dead comes to mind” and in the end that’s what most folks buy a rifle for.....performance.

@cls i hope the offer is accepted and you get plenty of use from your new rifle.

IMO the Ruger RSM was made to be a 416 Rigby. I have them in 375 H&H, 416 Rigby, 458 Lott an a custom in 505 Gibbs. They seem to function and be the most balanced for me in 416 Rigby...And very accurate. The one in 505 Gibbs is a tack driver in its own right.

I also have Winchesters in 375 H&H and 416 Rem Mag... Both very good guns. But the 375 has the mot use and the bolt is actually so smooth I've had the lever pop up and then fail to fire... So I'm coming to appreciate the Rugers more as they seem to be just sticky enough to stay in place and still cycle nicely... Personal preference;)

Offer accepted, on it's way! Will post pictures when it arrives. Can't wait to work up a load for this bad boy. Then find a place in Africa where I can put it to use.

I think you will like it. I had one for a bit to finally get the Rigby monkey off my back! The rifle shot well and did what it was supposed to do, and was great looking too.

Someone did a little shaping with regard to the ebony forend tip (or replaced it with a new one). Looks nice!

Someone did a little shaping with regard to the ebony forend tip (or replaced it with a new one). Looks nice!
If they did it was done professionally. Thanks

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg