Ruger M77 416 Rigby on GI

CJW

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I know nothing about M77's but it looked like a nice gun. It is not mine btw.

1626471862851.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.38.39 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.38.39 PM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 209
  • Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.38.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-07-16 at 6.38.41 PM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 206
I own a 416 Rigby RSM. It functions flawlessly, it’s very accurate and frankly it’s my favorite safari rifle. The RSM is well worth the $. Someone else posted on here that if the rifle was made today it was be north of $4000. I completely agree with that statement. @krish has experience with them as well.

I own a 416 Rigby RSM. It functions flawlessly, it’s very accurate and frankly it’s my favorite safari rifle. The RSM is well worth the $. Someone else posted on here that if the rifle was made today it was be north of $4000. I completely agree with that statement. @krish has experience with them as well.
Andrew I own 2 and owned five in the past. The best large bore rifles I do own or have owned.

If you can find one of the old guys at/from Ruger, they will tell you the rifle cost more to make than it was priced back in the day, and would cost more than $3K just to build it today.

If you can find one of the old guys at/from Ruger, they will tell you the rifle cost more to make than it was priced back in the day, and would cost more than $3K just to build it today.
This is completely true. They lost money on every RSM they made. It was Bill Ruger who made the decision to keep the rifle priced low enough to allow the "working man" to own a safari rifle.

This is completely true. They lost money on every RSM they made. It was Bill Ruger who made the decision to keep the rifle priced low enough to allow the "working man" to own a safari rifle.
Its sad that Bill is gone. His tenure was the golden age of Ruger. Ruger today produces, at best, mediocre guns of moderate fit and finish and yet they ask ridiculous prices for them. An M77 costs the same as a Winchester M70 yet the M70 is miles ahead of a Hawkeye (the Hawkeye is just a MKII wannabe). For $1,200 give me an M70 everytime. And thats coming from a guy who owns a MKII, a hawkeye guide gun and have owned dozens of ruger rifles and pistols. Its sad, but it comes from hiring a bunch of unskilled laborers to run CNC machines and very few of them have a concept/understanding of what makes a rifle good or quality.

When Rigby starts making an AR, the days of classic gunmaking will be truly dead.

Its sad that Bill is gone. His tenure was the golden age of Ruger. Ruger today produces, at best, mediocre guns of moderate fit and finish and yet they ask ridiculous prices for them. An M77 costs the same as a Winchester M70 yet the M70 is miles ahead of a Hawkeye (the Hawkeye is just a MKII wannabe). For $1,200 give me an M70 everytime. And thats coming from a guy who owns a MKII, a hawkeye guide gun and have owned dozens of ruger rifles and pistols. Its sad, but it comes from hiring a bunch of unskilled laborers to run CNC machines and very few of them have a concept/understanding of what makes a rifle good or quality.

When Rigby starts making an AR, the days of classic gunmaking will be truly dead.
True, the passing of Bill was sad but there was a good thing that came of it…the MK IV 22 pistol. Granted, doesn’t fit really well with “Africa Hunting” but there is no denying it’s a better mousetrap. Yes the original, MK II and MK III will continue to hold their value, but the takedown and cleaning are a PITA.

As for their rifles, I have very little experience with their centerfire products. I’ve owned 2 of their 22’s and both felt like children’s toys. They both worked well and were accurate, but the LOP was very short and the fit and finish (as you said) were not great.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg