Ruger Guide Gun or Win 70

Will 416

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I’m about to buy a 375 of some sort. I like the 375 Ruger Guide Gun for the short barrel and the idea of a matched muzzle weight/brake combo. I’m not crazy about the stock, but that can be replaced one day. I’ve found a pretty good deal with optics included, so if for some reason I don’t like it, I could definitely get my money back. On the other hand, I’ve thought about bidding on a Win 70 Alaskan in 375 h&h. I’ve had a classic super express when I was about 12 or 13 and enjoyed it. It would be new without optics, so total price would be more than the Ruger. I reload, so ammo is no big concern. Ruger has the lb/ft and size edge, but the win 70 has the classic look. I believe both would make great guns.

I like the nostalgia of the h&h, but excited about the ruger for reasons listed above. Any comments before the auction ends for the Win 70 in a few hours?

Also, with qd rings and base added to the win 70, is it easy to see the open sights when the scope is detached?

Thanks,
Will

I have Talley QD bases on my safari express and can see the irons with no problems, I suspect an Alaskan would be the same.

I love the rifle, the stock fits me well the action is smooth, trigger is good. It seems a bit front heavy but points well for me. I did bed it in devcon with score high pillars, nothing was wrong just to prevent stock compression. I don’t even notice the bases when looking through the irons. The only rifle I like more is my pre 64 30-06

I'd say go with the Win 70 in 375HH. Ammo is much more readily available worldwide. Granted, it's a long action, but it is a proven performer and you can build a plethora of loads for it to fit any situation.

Have both and I much prefer the M70. The only thing I did to the M70 was bed it with Devcon. Probably didn't need it, but since I can, I did. The action is smoother on the M70 and I MUCH prefer the stock design.

I'd say go with the Win 70 in 375HH. Ammo is much more readily available worldwide. Granted, it's a long action, but it is a proven performer and you can build a plethora of loads for it to fit any situation.

Hi Boomer

Just wondering something....

Do you make different loads for any rifle to use for different situations knowing that it would be a rareity that any two would ever shoot exactly the same and thereby making you site in for each and every load?

We had a cigar box at hunting camp that guys used to throw rounds in so that some of the cheap bastards who couldn't hit their ass with both hands would have something to make noise with.

I know that you before you go out killing that you site your gun in........these guys used to shoot a few rounds at a target stapled to the "tree of shame"........no to see if it was on target so much as to prove it would go bang.:A Thumbs Up:

If that tree was hit for all the bullets fired at it ....it should have fell down years ago. To date I can't tell where the bark has been scratched.

I’m about to buy a 375 of some sort. I like the 375 Ruger Guide Gun for the short barrel and the idea of a matched muzzle weight/brake combo. I’m not crazy about the stock, but that can be replaced one day. I’ve found a pretty good deal with optics included, so if for some reason I don’t like it, I could definitely get my money back. On the other hand, I’ve thought about bidding on a Win 70 Alaskan in 375 h&h. I’ve had a classic super express when I was about 12 or 13 and enjoyed it. It would be new without optics, so total price would be more than the Ruger. I reload, so ammo is no big concern. Ruger has the lb/ft and size edge, but the win 70 has the classic look. I believe both would make great guns.

I like the nostalgia of the h&h, but excited about the ruger for reasons listed above. Any comments before the auction ends for the Win 70 in a few hours?

Also, with qd rings and base added to the win 70, is it easy to see the open sights when the scope is detached?

Thanks,
Will

I have the Guide Gun in 416 Ruger and have enjoyed it very much!

Winchester Model 70 in .375 HH Magnum. It's one of the only four guns l own , alongside a .350 Rigby Magnum on a ZKK602 action , a BRNO 12 gauge full choke over under and a 10 gauge Browning Gold ( though l am building another rifle soon ). The Winchester is pre war model which my Grand dad used on his '68 Kenya Safari to take a bull elephant with a shoulder shot.
It is very , very versatile and you can develop a lot of good loads with it.
On the down side , the accuracy in mine is 3 inch groups at a hundred yards. Nothing glamorous , but gets the job done Everytime.
And the stock has split many years ago. It also needed some work done to the feed ramp to properly feed some types of ammo.

Model 70

Unless you know a gunsmith who can do a trigger job on either rifle, I would go with the one with the best trigger.

Although I loved my model 70 when I was younger, I let the one I was looking at slip away after a couple of bids. So, I went with the Ruger guide gun. I got a decent deal on it and the scope, so worst case, I can sell if it isn’t my taste. On the other hand, if I really enjoy the Ruger, it may be may just be a reason to keep it and add the Winchester a little later on. (For nostalgia purposes of course.) I want to thank everyone for their input. I really don’t think I could go too wrong either way. I think I may just get the Winchester next. I just wish that they made one in a 458 Lott too instead of the win mag.

Although I loved my model 70 when I was younger, I let the one I was looking at slip away after a couple of bids. So, I went with the Ruger guide gun. I got a decent deal on it and the scope, so worst case, I can sell if it isn’t my taste. On the other hand, if I really enjoy the Ruger, it may be may just be a reason to keep it and add the Winchester a little later on. (For nostalgia purposes of course.) I want to thank everyone for their input. I really don’t think I could go too wrong either way. I think I may just get the Winchester next. I just wish that they made one in a 458 Lott too instead of the win mag.
With modern powders, the win mag does everything jack Lott ever wanted, some even speculate he would have never developed the Lott if given modern components

By the way I had the exact same dilemma and bought the guide gun

I wrote an article on bringing a 458 Win Mag up to Lott power... manMagnum. This is if you reload. Exchange the magazine, bolt stop and extractor for the 37 5 H&H or 416 RM parts. You load to 3.6". I used the Lee crimp die to snug the bullet to the case. I cannulared the bullets. The 458 chamber allows this. You cannot use Lott brass, but that is a cost savings. You could exchange the parts and reamer the chamber to Lott and still use 458 win mag loads or my XL version. I took the easy route in part to let those in highly restricted countries get the power without rechambering and re-registering.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChristyLak

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg