Ruger American 30-06

Voodooracer

Bronze supporter
AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hi everyone, I found a pretty good deal on a Ruger American in 30-06 and am going to be picking it up in a couple weeks. I've been hearing pretty good things about them and found one for a good price so I said what the heck. I definitely will use it for whitetail deer and some other north american game to get comfortable with it and if it performs well i may take it to Africa when i book my 1st plains game safari. Work and college have been insanely busy lately so please bear with me in uploading pics and a range report in a couple weeks! Feel free to chime in with any advice or experiences with the American.

p.s. once I weed out some rifles I no longer shoot i'll pry end up getting a Ruger m77 hawkeye in 300 win mag for pg as well.

work ,school and hunting .you my young friend have your priorities in alignment .
all you need is a good girl to screw it all up for you .....:heh:

haha thank you! When i look in my gunsafe at my guns I say to myself "these are the dates I never went on" :laughing:

work ,school and hunting .you my young friend have your priorities in alignment .
all you need is a good girl to screw it all up for you .....:heh:

bluey, don't wish that on him yet it sounds like he has his priorities just right. I bought an American 30.06 last year just to put a suppressor on, couldn't stand the idea of cutting threads on my favorite rifles. Haven't shot it yet still waiting on the Fed. paperwork. Everyone I know that has one loves it so I think I will too. A local gun shop here in PA is selling them for $319.95 so I figured how can you go wrong. Looking forward to your range report, good luck.

haha thank you, come hell or high water i'm going to make it to Africa at least once in my life. Thats good to hear, all the rave reviews about them thus far has me very excited to get it. I'm interested to see how it performs with heavier bullets and premium ammo.

I say why not, Ruger makes great guns. I bought a old M77 in the caliber last year for $450. She too is sitting in the closet waiting for a date at the shooting range.

I agree enysse, I have several Rugers and they do make great guns. I was deciding between Remington and Ruger as far as a rifle and the Rugers fit my requirements better.

The american is a very good rifle. You should be happy with it.

Thanks! im very excited to get it to the range

I finally got the American to the range and I'm very happy with its performance! It grouped around 1 inch at 100 yards. I had a couple groups at a little over an inch and my last couple were just shy of an inch, it really seemes to like the 180 grain barnes ttsx bullets! I'll get some target photos uploaded asap.

Updated range photos

photo 1 (1).JPG
Here is the first grouping after getting elevation corrected, not too bad for remington 165gr cor-lokt stuff.

photo 2 (1).JPG
Here was the second grouping with the addition of a 223 rem round in the middle, my shooting partner accidentally took a poke at the wrong target :confused:

photo 3 (1).JPG
Here was my last group, getting the barnes 180 grain ttsx's sighted it. i bumped the elevation up a little and took my final shots. then i stuck a different target out at 200 yards with the last round i had and it was well centered but just an inch and a half or so low.

I'm by no means a crack shot and don't want to seem like I'm bragging or anything, I've been humbled more times than i can remember. All in all im happy with the rifles performance at the price point it's at!

Thanks for putting up with my rambling and all the encouraging words you have all given!

Voodoracer

I got one for free last year!
Had points at Cabellas and was standing there trying to decide what to spend them on and a 30-06 American was calling me. It shoots 1 inch or better right out of the box with 180s. It's the only rifle I'm bringing on my next PG hunt!

Voodoo- take a good look at some of the specials on PG here on this forum. You can find a good hunt for just a few thousand bucks if you shop around. You'll find something like 5 or 6 days, 4 animals for under $4500. Some of the offers at Dallas Safari Club show are even better.

shoots plenty good ,voodooracer
them groups are more than adequate , even with the varity of ammo you used .
im fond of the remmy corelokts as factory rounds.
my 30.06 is a ruger m77 mk11 and it seems to be able to shoot nearly every round in more than reasonable group out 150 metres.aswell.

I got one for free last year!
Had points at Cabellas and was standing there trying to decide what to spend them on and a 30-06 American was calling me. It shoots 1 inch or better right out of the box with 180s. It's the only rifle I'm bringing on my next PG hunt!

Voodoo- take a good look at some of the specials on PG here on this forum. You can find a good hunt for just a few thousand bucks if you shop around. You'll find something like 5 or 6 days, 4 animals for under $4500. Some of the offers at Dallas Safari Club show are even better.

cliffy a slight side swerve from the thread, but if you dont mind me asking how much do you have to spend per point and how many points does it take to be able to buy the rifle. also any idea if basspro do a similar thing, as when at sci i usually end up spending $2000.00 or so of your make of cash in there on stuff its hard or way more expensive to get here, and if you can get free stuff sounds good.

Thanks! As soon as I finish up with college I'm going to look into booking a hunt as a graduation present to myself haha. I'm very happy with how it shoots. I will pry hung white tails with it until I can get to africa, then it'll be a toss up between that and the ruger hawkeye in 300 win mag I have on the way haha. Every single day I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to get to africa and what I want to hunt. I'm definitely addicted haha

spike $100/point, each point is $1 US. Sometimes double points when stuff bought at the Cabelas store. I have the "Black" card :), I get the fully bound catalog every year in the mail, I think I own about half of Cabelas by now :) Now that I am retired I don't run near as much through that card as I did when I was traveling.
Don't know about Bass Pro, never shop there :)

spike $100/point, each point is $1 US. Sometimes double points when stuff bought at the Cabelas store. I have the "Black" card :), I get the fully bound catalog every year in the mail, I think I own about half of Cabelas by now :) Now that I am retired I don't run near as much through that card as I did when I was traveling.
Don't know about Bass Pro, never shop there :)

Cliffy, I wonder if this applies to non-resident customers also.
I spend a small fortune in Cabelas each year, during our annual visits at convention time. ?

Cliffy- Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you have the Cabels Visa vs their membership card. And with the Visa, you spend your money where every you want and still get points.

PaulT - It is definately worth looking into the card. If you use it as your business card, you could rack up the points in not time.

Cliffy- Correct me if I am wrong, but it sounds like you have the Cabels Visa vs their membership card. And with the Visa, you spend your money where every you want and still get points.

PaulT - It is definately worth looking into the card. If you use it as your business card, you could rack up the points in not time.

Thanks Grady, i'm going to look into it.

I need to rack-up a heap of points so I can rush back in there and replace the cheap-ass, made-in-China crap-ass clothes that I bought there only a couple of months ago !

Spike- I work at Cabela's. Here's how it works.
2% in points on Cabela purchases (store, catalog and online)
1% everywhere else you can use VISA (its a fully backed VISA card with our name on it.
There is no limit to the points as long as the card is active (use it once a month and you're fine)
redeeming points: at store, just slide the card and the cashier will tell you how many you have. How to use them is totally at your discretion-you can use none, some, all or just what you owe.
It has no annual fee and no cost to sign up. The bank that issues it is actually owned by Cabela's so its a very safe card. So, to sum up, penny a point, no point limit, free stuff after you spend a ton of money.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jenniferlaw003

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg