Ruger Alaskan 375 vs REM 700 375 H&h vs Browning X-Bolt 375 h&h

If it were me I would buy the Ruger. Its a far better rifle than the other 2 and the cartridges are equal in performance.

I have a Ruger and Remington and when I go to the safe the Ruger always comes out . I have some extremely dense bush here in coastal Alabama and the short barrel on the Ruger is a god send!

Or pull one of several full detachable magazine from your pants cargo pocket and rock and roll! Ha! Ha! I have two three round extra magazines for my Browning .338WM.
So you reload a full mag after one shot on dg?

None of the above. Look for a good used Brno ZKK602 you have time as you mention "someday" which is not next year....

I'm not the one who said it, but on most magazines you have the capability to top it off as if it were a blind magazine. If one was to decide to drop the magazine after 1 shot because they have 2 more, they would end up with a Browning loaded with 5 shots instead of the original 4 he just had prior to shooting. A +1 scenario is harder to achieve under stress with a blind magazine and may not be achievable at all if your claw extractor is one which needs the cartridge seated in the magazine in order to cycle.

Do you drop the hinged floor plate and reload every shell after one shot on dangerous game?

Do you drop the hinged floor plate and reload every shell after one shot on dangerous game?
Normal practice is to top reload whenever the situation allows. Fooling around with a magazine reload is a disaster waiting to happen on a dg rifle.

Normal practice is to top reload whenever the situation allows. Fooling around with a magazine reload is a disaster waiting to happen on a dg rifle.
It’s normal practice because nearly all heavier rifles have hinged floor plates only some 375s have magazines (and blasers). A client’s 375 with a magazine is fine for most all circumstances. Someone who doesn’t know their rifle is a disaster waiting to happen whether it’s a hinged floor plate or a magazine.

It’s normal practice because nearly all heavier rifles have hinged floor plates only some 375s have magazines (and blasers). A client’s 375 with a magazine is fine for most all circumstances. Someone who doesn’t know their rifle is a disaster waiting to happen whether it’s a hinged floor plate or a magazine.
Correct

The browning is very light for a 375 H&H recoil might be substantial. Any reason a Winchester model 70 isn’t on the list? An Alaskan isn’t much difference in price from your other options.

I have a Browning A-bolt in .375 H&H that I have been shooting for about 30 years. I have no problem shooting a box of ammo off the bench.

It is lighter than others but I have never found it uncomfortable.

I'm not the one who said it, but on most magazines you have the capability to top it off as if it were a blind magazine. If one was to decide to drop the magazine after 1 shot because they have 2 more, they would end up with a Browning loaded with 5 shots instead of the original 4 he just had prior to shooting. A +1 scenario is harder to achieve under stress with a blind magazine and may not be achievable at all if your claw extractor is one which needs the cartridge seated in the magazine in order to cycle.
Really?
Get you facts straight. A browning X bolt magazine can only be loaded when the magazine is out of the rifle..you cannot rop load the magazine when it is in the rifle.
If the magazine is empty you can however drop a round on top and load but then you are operating a single shot rifle.
A proper DG rifle should allow top up of the magazine without removing the magazine after a single shot.

How exactly does the magazine swop take place? What is the sequince of events?

Load the 3 rnd mag. Chamber a round. Fire shot 1 reload, 1 left change mag or not? Ok change the mag. Gun on safe. Remove the mag. Find somewhere to put it. Get that sorted find the second mag load that into the rifle get your eyes off everything you have now been doing to see what is going on. Buff is on the way gun up fire nothing happens shit its still on safe....

No thanks...Brno ZKK enough rounds in the mag to start with no need to engage safety and no need to look down as you top load even while moving and if needed top load can instantly be abandoned and closing the bolt you ready to go....

Great point! After the first shot and racking in another cartridge quickly for a possible second, you can't top off the magazine anyway? I've never hunted DG, but I do this when elk hunting.

Last edited:
Brno ZKK enough rounds in the mag to start with no need to engage safety and no need to look down as you top load even while moving .

Dangerous game or non-dangerous game, I’m in agreement with IvW on this.

Really?
Get you facts straight. A browning X bolt magazine can only be loaded when the magazine is out of the rifle..you cannot rop load the magazine when it is in the rifle.
If the magazine is empty you can however drop a round on top and load but then you are operating a single shot rifle.
A proper DG rifle should allow top up of the magazine without removing the magazine after a single shot.

Load the 3 rnd mag. Chamber a round. Fire shot 1 reload, 1 left change mag or not? Ok change the mag. Gun on safe. Remove the mag. Find somewhere to put it. Get that sorted find the second mag load that into the rifle get your eyes off everything you have now been doing to see what is going on. Buff is on the way gun up fire nothing happens shit its still on safe....

No thanks...Brno ZKK enough rounds in the mag to start with no need to engage safety and no need to look down as you top load even while moving and if needed top load can instantly be abandoned and closing the bolt you ready to go....
I think it's all a moot point anyway. I'm not removing a chambered second cartridge ready to go after the first shot, to add any ammo in the magazine?

I think it's all a moot point anyway. I'm not removing a chambered second cartridge ready to go after the first shot, to add any ammo in the magazine?
I can understand that point of view if you have not hunted DG.

I’m looking at getting a big bore (375). I have found a Ruger Alaskan 375 Ruger and a Remington 700 SPS 375 H&H both are new. I can also order a Browning 375 H&H in the X-Bolt Hunter and just wait until it arrives. I’m told it should arrive in 2022 sometime. I plan to hunt Cape buffalo someday and want to hunt locally with it to get familiar with it before I need to use it in a pinch. Does anyone have an opinion on any of these rifles listed? My son thinks I should just buy the two I can get now and seewhich I like, but he doesn’t have to balance the check book. Thanks
Of the three I'd go with the Ruger. I'm biased since I did go with it, used it for nine years now and have no regrets hunting a buffalo this year along with four species of plains game and a giraffe in 2013. That said, if you're patient a used CZ or M70 do show up on GunBroker.

Now rewrite this overly complicated story for a nervous hunter who drops his bullets trying to load his rifle from the top

Really?

I never said the X-bolt could or couldn't; I said most magazine rifles can. I have not tried it with an xbolt (as I haven't had a need to) but other owners online have said in the past that you could top load an xbolt.

The process to change a magazine (4 in the xbolt btw) is just as easy as single loading 2-3 rounds. You don't even have to look at what you are doing. The only down side would be if you dropped it, which is a legit concern. There are pros and cons to each so the individual has to determine which they prefer and, most importantly, understand the mechanics of doing it right & also knowing what do if it goes wrong.

Last edited:
Now rewrite this overly complicated story for a nervous hunter who drops his bullets trying to load his rifle from the top
It is rather quite simple...
Pull the bolt back keeping your eyes on what is happening on the front reach down take a cartridge from your cartridge holder top load and close the bolt...if no imminant danger engage the safety...all the while having your eyes on what is going on around you....unless you are using a X bolt or a M700 which is notoriously difficult to top load....

I never said the X-bolt could or couldn't; I said most magazine rifles can. I have not tried it with an xbolt (as I haven't had a need to) but other owners online have said in the past that you could top load an xbolt.

The process to change a magazine (4 in the xbolt btw) is just as easy as single loading 2-3 rounds. The only down side would be if you dropped it, which is a legit concern. There are pros and cons to each so the individual has to determine which they prefer and, most importantly, understand the mechanics of doing it right & also knowing what do if it goes wrong.
The X bolt is the only one under discussion which has a detatchable magazine....

Well they are wrong I will attach the reloading of the X bolt magazine from the manual. Anybody stating different obviously thinks they know more than the folks who designed the rifle in the first place ...so commenting what somebody else commented on is hearsay with no experience or use of the product...

BTW an xbolt magazine in 375 H&H(the caliber in question) holds 3 rounds not 4....

Topping up 1 round as the situation allows is not the same as top loading 2 or 3 and is of less concern when you start off with a magazine that holds minimum 5 as apposed to only 3 and 1 of the three needs to be fed from the magazine to start with.....

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg