Ruger Alaskan 375 vs REM 700 375 H&h vs Browning X-Bolt 375 h&h

Mountaineer

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
I’m looking at getting a big bore (375). I have found a Ruger Alaskan 375 Ruger and a Remington 700 SPS 375 H&H both are new. I can also order a Browning 375 H&H in the X-Bolt Hunter and just wait until it arrives. I’m told it should arrive in 2022 sometime. I plan to hunt Cape buffalo someday and want to hunt locally with it to get familiar with it before I need to use it in a pinch. Does anyone have an opinion on any of these rifles listed? My son thinks I should just buy the two I can get now and seewhich I like, but he doesn’t have to balance the check book. Thanks

I'm an avid Remington 700 fan however I bought an SPS model in a smaller caliber and it was complete junk. I'd recommend against the Rem SPS.

I'm in the gun industry--in 2021, there are few if any bad choices as far as production rifles. Sure, I have my preferences, but these are mostly personal taste. For instance, I prefer .375 H&H to .375 Ruger, but this is just because of the former cartridge's history. Truthfully, you can get a $300 Savage or a $3,000 SAKO, and you'll still put 5 shots into an inch at 100 yards. As for controlled-round feeding Vs push feed, they are both fine, unless you plan on shooting your rifle upside down.

It is true, however, that lately Remington has suffered from quality-control problems, but we're still talking getting really unlucky with a bad specimen.

Go with the one that appeals to you the most aesthetically or that could really become "you." After all, when you eventually go on your buffalo hunt, you'll want to have a cool rifle with you--it's part of the bragging process!

The browning is very light for a 375 H&H recoil might be substantial. Any reason a Winchester model 70 isn’t on the list? An Alaskan isn’t much difference in price from your other options.

I really like Browning but I do find them light. I suspect of those choices I would go with the Ruger. My only hesitancy is that something makes me think that there is an issue with the safety tht needs to be addressed on some of them? I could be mistaken.

Of the 3, I would go with the Browning. I've always thought the ruger safety was difficult to find / deploy and Remington was turning out junk at the end of their run. Browning has a nice magazine (which you can have a full reload quickly without much looking), a safety on the tang where it belongs imo, and with a scope should get you around 8 1/2 pounds which isn't that punishing.

A stainless steel .375 H and H Browning X Bolt was priced around $979 here before the "pandemic". Now they're going for $1200-1300. I love my .338 Browning A Bolt, but I wouldn't pay the new price for their .375. Buy a Winchester.

A stainless steel .375 H and H Browning X Bolt was priced around $979 here before the "pandemic". Now they're going for $1200-1300. I love my .338 Browning A Bolt, but I wouldn't pay the new price for the .375. Buy a Winchester.
I agree the value of the Browning is overpriced. If you are one who keeps guns forever and you like the features, I would still pay the $1300

Ruger all the way. My .375 and .416 Alaskans work hard in Zululand. Ive also unfortunately seen Remingtons and Browning’s fail dismally. To get the most out of your Ruger it will need some work, namely to polish the rails and ramp to feed smoothly, replace the hogue recoil pad with a Pachmyer Old English to shoulder easier etc. I also love the .375 H&H cartridge, but not in the above platforms. Winchester Mod70, CZ550, old ZKK602 or Kimber would be a different story.

I agree the value of the Browning is overpriced. If you are one who keeps guns forever and you like the features, I would still pay the $1300
True. I would still purchase one slightly used for a fair price from someone here on AH that hasn't taken it out of their gun safe for ten or more years?

A Browning .375 H and H X Bolt Hunter (blued/walnut stock) was selling for around $800 eighteen months ago. Now, there going for $1K. $200 more in that period of time? I refuse to pay it. I'll look for another brand of rifle or find a good used custom for a few dollars more.

Remington is a no go, unless you like getting chewed on or a horn up the rear.

I would go Ruger out of the 3.

DG rifle and drop out magazines should not be mentioned in the same page....

Remington is a no go, unless you like getting chewed on or a horn up the rear.

I would go Ruger out of the 3.

DG rifle and drop out magazines should not be mentioned in the same page....
Most military combat rifles have drop out magazines? Just saying.

Most buffaloes don't shoot back either. Just saying :giggle::giggle::giggle::giggle:

When DG hunting with a magazine rifle, you should top up from your belt as often as possible.
Or pull one of several full detachable magazine from your pants cargo pocket and rock and roll! Ha! Ha! I have two three round extra magazines for my Browning .338WM.

Buy the ruger, and use the money you would use on the REM/Browning for ammo and practice alot. Then go on your safari and have the adventure of your lifetime.

If you absolutely feel the need to try two different brands get a WIN model 70 and the ruger.

Look for a CZ-550 in 375 H&H, they are out there.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MorrisFloc

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg