Ruger 77 or browning x-bolt

Shaneb

AH member
Reaction score
Been looking for my first big bore for a while now and have found a ruger 77 in .458 win and a .375 h+h browning x bolt for reasonable prices. I know .458 is a considerable bit heavier on the shoulder. That won’t affect my decision. I’m more concerned if anyone has some experience with either rifle. Not necessarily the caliber. The good, and bad for dg hunting. All info appreciated. Thanks!
P.S. I know .375 not technically a big bore....lol

I had an older Ruger 77 in .458 Win mag back in the 1980’s. I liked the tang safety for it’s speed. I was a little concerned the safety would hit my hand under recoil, but it was not an issue. It was a little muzzle heavy but that helped control recoil. However, the forend felt a little “clubby”.
After a few firings, I noticed that there was some chipping of the stock at the back of the tang. To alleviate this, I glass bedded both recoil lugs. It has a forward recoil lug that is a separate piece that, if I remember, hooked around the rear recoil lug.
The rear sight was a cheap folding deal.
Being one of the old style Rugers, it was not a “true” controlled round feed,but I never had any issues.
If I remember correctly, with a 1-4x scope, it would group 500gr Hornady
into around 1.25”.
I hope this info helps.

Meigsbucks, this one is an old one. 1976, but in perfect shape. Good to hear no problems with feeding as that was one of my concerns. Did you use it on any hunts?

The Ruger M77 with the tang safety were a push feed (I assume this is what you were talking about) and the x bolt is a push feed as well. Some people are very concerned about CRF for a dangerous game rifle. I don't think it is a deal breaker, but given the option, I would own a well worked over CRF any day. The Ruger will undoubtedly be well made. I have no experience with the x-bolt. All I know is that I like the extractor on an X-bolt more than on an A-bolt. I personally would keep waiting and saving till I could get either a Ruger RSM or a Winchester M70. If I had to pick one over the other... I would say the .375 is going to be more versatile, easier to shoot well and, if you reload, much cheaper to shoot.

Meigsbucks, this one is an old one. 1976, but in perfect shape. Good to hear no problems with feeding as that was one of my concerns. Did you use it on any hunts?
Unfortunately I never hunted with it but did put about three hundred rounds thru it.

IMO, the 375 H&H would be the better "first big bore". Much more versatile than a 458, unless you just want to shoot holes in trees and smash things at the range.
As for the rifle, before I'd get an X bolt, I'd look at a Weatherby Vanguard in 375 H&H. The plain jane model can be had for around $600.00 new in the box, and it doesn't come with a cheap looking plastic magazine like the Browning does. It comes with decent iron sights, just like I assume the Browning does.
On the 458 side, depending on how much they're asking for the Ruger, it could be ok. But for $1188.00 there's a dealer on Gunbroker selling brand new Winchester 70 458 Win Mag rifles. This would make a better true CRF rifle.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796969350

Take a look at this. Depending on your budget, and what you plan to do with it, this would make a great entry level rifle.
You probably can't beat it with rifles costing several hundred more dollars.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 1.45.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 1.45.41 PM.png
    649.3 KB · Views: 364
IMO, the 375 H&H would be the better "first big bore". Much more versatile than a 458, unless you just want to shoot holes in trees and smash things at the range.
As for the rifle, before I'd get an X bolt, I'd look at a Weatherby Vanguard in 375 H&H. The plain jane model can be had for around $600.00 new in the box, and it doesn't come with a cheap looking plastic magazine like the Browning does. It comes with decent iron sights, just like I assume the Browning does.
On the 458 side, depending on how much they're asking for the Ruger, it could be ok. But for $1188.00 there's a dealer on Gunbroker selling brand new Winchester 70 458 Win Mag rifles. This would make a better true CRF rifle.
I have to agree. $1188 is wayyy too much for a push feed Ruger. Even if it is a .458.

I have to agree. $1188 is wayyy too much for a push feed Ruger. Even if it is a .458.
It's not the Ruger that's $1188, it's the Winchester 70 458 selling for that price on Gunbroker. Not sure what he's paying for the Ruger.

Neither. I had 3 A-Bolts and sold them all in favor of rifles based on Winchester or CZ actions.

I wouldn't buy either. Not sure what your budget is but my preference would be a new M70 in 375 H&H, a new CZ 550 in 416 Rigby (both around $1200) or a used Interarms Mause in 375 H&H Here's a link to one below I have no relationship or knowledge of the gun below

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/800603948

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 4.25.33 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-02-27 at 4.25.33 PM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 306
I have owned a couple of the Ruger 77's in .458, one had no issues, the other had to make a trip to the smith for feed issues. It simply would not feed from the magazine,, ramp was cut wrong. Smith fixed it easily enough, Ruger would not work on it because it was not current production, something to keep in mind. I love the old style 77 rifles and have owned a butt ton of them. Currently have a great shooting .338 mag. 77. Never owned the Browning product.

Neither. I had 3 A-Bolts and sold them all in favor of rifles based on Winchester or CZ actions.
I wouldn't buy either. Not sure what your budget is but my preference would be a new M70 in 375 H&H, a new CZ 550 in 416 Rigby (both around $1200) or a used Interarms Mause in 375 H&H Here's a link to one below I have no relationship or knowledge of the gun below

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/800603948
Listen to these people, they know of where they speak.
I would recommend a CZ in 375H&H/416Rigby or a new Ruger Guide Gun/African in 375Ruger/416Ruger.
375 will be more versatile as TOBY458 stated, but the 416 caliber is an all around game taker as well.
I wouldn't hesitate to do a one gun safari with either a 375 or 416 caliber, regardless of game up to Elephant.

https://www.gunbroker.com/item/796969350

Take a look at this. Depending on your budget, and what you plan to do with it, this would make a great entry level rifle.
You probably can't beat it with rifles costing several hundred more dollars.
If it had a wood stock I’d be all over that. I just can’t handle looking at fake stocks. Stupid I know. I also have this thing where I can’t sell my guns, like ever. So if I bought it I’d have to look at it the rest of my life....lol my plan is to just get a nice gun for a few years to shoot some boar or deer with while I save for a Montana.404 Jeff.

Thanks for the advice everyone. I’ve also got my eye on a Winchester 70 in .458. I’ll just keep my options open.

Shane,

I have yet to understand what reasonably priced actually means.

One guy bought a gun for 850 that I would have paid 350 for. Yet! We both thought they were reasonable prices.

All guns are good when they work right and bad when they don't. It appears that the determining factor is the owner.

I know of no rifles that were designed to fail on their own.

Shane,

I have yet to understand what reasonably priced actually means.

One guy bought a gun for 850 that I would have paid 350 for. Yet! We both thought they were reasonable prices.

I think I know who you are taking about but in my defense, there as wine involved.

If it had a wood stock I’d be all over that. I just can’t handle looking at fake stocks. Stupid I know. I also have this thing where I can’t sell my guns, like ever. So if I bought it I’d have to look at it the rest of my life....lol my plan is to just get a nice gun for a few years to shoot some boar or deer with while I save for a Montana.404 Jeff.
You poor soul! If I never sold a rifle, I'd have at least 5 gun safes by now! Lol!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg