Glenn Slaven

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
I had said some months ago I was trying to be a good boy and save my money for more stuff on safari (like a sable).... well I somehow ended up among my other rifles I bought, a Ruger No 1 in .450/400. What have I done??

I’m going to have to start reloading again for sure it I want to shoot it at all.

I’m blaming all of you for it. Have 2 boxes of ammo headed my way, we shall see how it shoots.

glenn,
don't blame me.
by now people will be starting to note that i recommend against that rifle, beautiful though it is, on the grounds that it is too light for the cartridge.
the sheer violence of the recoil makes follow through impossible.
sorry to rain on your parade.
bruce.

@Glenn Slaven : First off, congratulations on the new addition. You might contact Tim (@tarbe ) as I think he has posted some Ruger No.1 450/400 reloading info.

glenn,
don't blame me.
by now people will be starting to note that i recommend against that rifle, beautiful though it is, on the grounds that it is too light for the cartridge.
the sheer violence of the recoil makes follow through impossible.
sorry to rain on your parade.
bruce.

I added a Pachmayer Decelerator. It, and an all-up weight of 10.2 pounds make the No1 450/400 a very nice rifle to shoot. I even shoot it off the beach without a problem.

3 or 4 round rapid fire drills are fun, and 20+ rounds in a session is easy and headache-free.

#1 thing to do is ditch the factory pad.

Glenn You will like the rifle I shoot mine with the same loads that regulate in my double. I am using 400gr Aframes and 400gr Northfork CPS solids. Like @tarbe said get a good recoil pad. I have a Long LOP and either have to put 1 3/4 worth of recoil pad and spacer of restock. I chose to put a treebone carving custom dense english walnut stock on mine and it is now almost 11 lbs.

IMG_4237.JPG

I agree with Tim, I haven’t replaced my pad on mine but find my No. 1 450/400 with no scope a very easy to shoot rifle. The recoil impulse of the 450/400 seems much less punishing than the same rifle I have in 458 WM.
Tim handles his No. 1 excellent and rapid strings are impressive especially for an old guy! Lol

Glenn You will like the rifle I shoot mine with the same loads that regulate in my double. I am using 400gr Aframes and 400gr Northfork CPS solids. Like @tarbe said get a good recoil pad. I have a Long LOP and either have to put 1 3/4 worth of recoil pad and spacer of restock. I chose to put a treebone carving custom dense english walnut stock on mine and it is now almost 11 lbs.

View attachment 259887
You need some checkering on that beaut!

:A Crutches::A Wheelchair:

added recoil pad and filled hole in stock with 12.5 oz of weight much nicer
To shoot.

You are correct on it needing some checkering, along with the 9.3x74 and 7x57 #1's I also restocked. My checkering skills aren't quite to the point that I will touch these, on a straight grained black walnut with simple pattern's I am acceptable. But not ready to tackle these or a bolt gun I am finishing up. There isn't anyone local that I would trust to do the job. So If you know a good checker that doesn't charge a arm and a leg?

You are correct on it needing some checkering, along with the 9.3x74 and 7x57 #1's I also restocked. My checkering skills aren't quite to the point that I will touch these, on a straight grained black walnut with simple pattern's I am acceptable. But not ready to tackle these or a bolt gun I am finishing up. There isn't anyone local that I would trust to do the job. So If you know a good checker that doesn't charge a arm and a leg?
Try Sherry Abraham. I haven't used her as I do a majority of my own checkering. But she used to work for Kimber of Oregon and she has a good reputation, a cabide pneumatic checking tool (so it doesn't take forever and time=$) and her skills are clearly evident on her webpage.

https://www.checkering.com/

I had said some months ago I was trying to be a good boy and save my money for more stuff on safari (like a sable).... well I somehow ended up among my other rifles I bought, a Ruger No 1 in .450/400. What have I done??

I’m going to have to start reloading again for sure it I want to shoot it at all.

I’m blaming all of you for it. Have 2 boxes of ammo headed my way, we shall see how it shoots.
Don't feel bad I bought one last week, it came with 2 boxes of ammo. I'm very pleased with it so far. I too have been saving for a hunt, I could have went on 2 safaris just about with what I spent in guns this year due to the influence here. Maybe add a reciever sight in addition to a new recoil pad. Only because mine looks alittle wore form being stood up. My 13 year old son took one shot, only cause I thought he could do it and would not get hurt by the recoil. It was alittle much for him, but he did it and smiled. Good luck with the rifle

..... welcome to our life. It happens.

I have a 450/400 in a No.1. Mine is pretty accurate with H-4831 and I get a little over 2200 with 86 grains and swift A-frame 400 gr. bullets. All I've used is a slip on pad. It's not that bad to shoot.

..... welcome to our life. It happens.
This site is made to keep a guy broke, distracted from work and constantly being snarled at by the fairer sex when they are talking but you are deep in thought on a thread you are watching! But it sure is fun!

Glenn I think you did the right thing....after all it is the season of giving! You just gave to yourself with a glad heart at the time I’m sure.

This site is made to keep a guy broke, distracted from work and constantly being snarled at by the fairer sex when they are talking but you are deep in thought on a thread you are watching! But it sure is fun!
Amen brother! That old saying, misery loves company comes to mind :)

To buy a Ruger No. 1 in .450/400 3" NE is nothing but an investment...... a wise strategic decision!

:D Beers:

HWL

View attachment 259887
That’s a great looking gun. Dad got a blank from Treebones prob 15 years ago for a Marlin 1895 and it is still just as he bought it. When he goes to the Great Safari, I’ll have somebody finish it out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.