Glenn Slaven

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA
Had a local LE agency being in seized guns they are trading in to me for some new patrol rifles. In the batch was a Ruger 77/22 in .22 Hornet. Couldn’t pass up since they said either they take what I offer for the lot (about 30 guns) or they pay to have them destroyed.

Long story short, I now have a .22 Hornet and have absolutely no idea what I’m going to use it for. Lol. I guess there is always a joy in shooting a gun that doesn’t beat me up just for the fun of shooting. Maybe a great gun to teach my daughter to learn to shoot with.

My new wife is having a hard time understanding why I need a bunch of new rifles. Lol. Poor girl...

They are nice little rifles and its a fun calibre. The same combination was my sons first centre fire rifle. He shot a kafue lechwe and a puku. Both one shot. Lechwe straight down and puku went bout 20 yards. Have fun :D Beers:

Last edited:
I had 3 hornets many years ago and loved its gentle manners and usability out to about 180 yds for small game. Moved on to the 22-250 and for a long time wanted something with the manners of the hornet with the reach of the 22-250 so built myself a 20 VarTarg and havent looked back

I used a 22 Hornet in Texas for many years on turkeys, bobcats and grey fox. Also worked well on crows if you could get within 150 yards.
It would be a perfect starter centerfire for a kid! For prairie dogs maybe out to 200 yards if little wind. My granddaughter has been using a 22 Win Mag on pdogs out to 140 yards, so the Hornet should make it to 200 yards I would suspect.
The brass can be a pain to reload because it is thin and the taper can crush easily, but once you get the reloading technique figured out, it goes fairly smoothly.
Do a web search on reloading it. I think I recall an article not long ago on it using Little-Gun powder working well.
I’d think it would be an ideal woods varmint/small game rifle. If yours will stabilize 50 grain bullets, it shouldn’t be too destructive on rabbits. Or just make head shots.
I’m jealous thinking and wishing I had space for one in my safe!

I used a 22 Hornet in Texas for many years on turkeys, bobcats and grey fox. Also worked well on crows if you could get within 150 yards.
It would be a perfect starter centerfire for a kid! For prairie dogs maybe out to 200 yards if little wind. My granddaughter has been using a 22 Win Mag on pdogs out to 140 yards, so the Hornet should make it to 200 yards I would suspect.
The brass can be a pain to reload because it is thin and the taper can crush easily, but once you get the reloading technique figured out, it goes fairly smoothly.
Do a web search on reloading it. I think I recall an article not long ago on it using Little-Gun powder working well.
I’d think it would be an ideal woods varmint/small game rifle. If yours will stabilize 50 grain bullets, it shouldn’t be too destructive on rabbits. Or just make head shots.
I’m jealous thinking and wishing I had space for one in my safe!
Don’t let lack of space hold you back. I’m out of room and I have an extra 5 or 6 rifles that don’t get to hang out in the safe. Lol

Had a local LE agency being in seized guns they are trading in to me for some new patrol rifles. In the batch was a Ruger 77/22 in .22 Hornet. Couldn’t pass up since they said either they take what I offer for the lot (about 30 guns) or they pay to have them destroyed.

Long story short, I now have a .22 Hornet and have absolutely no idea what I’m going to use it for. Lol. I guess there is always a joy in shooting a gun that doesn’t beat me up just for the fun of shooting. Maybe a great gun to teach my daughter to learn to shoot with.

My new wife is having a hard time understanding why I need a bunch of new rifles. Lol. Poor girl...
.22 Hornet has always been popular here in TX. It’s good for varmits and a starter gun for kids. Of course it has been over shadowed by he new cartridges but still popular. I Have a Marlin lever gun in .218 Bee that is somewhat similar and a great round. My oldest son killed his first buck with it and I have taken many whitetail with it over the years. Neat gun.
Philip

The only issue with the Ruger is the Bolt design. It can cause some accuracy issues. Fun little rifle though. My dad had his punched out to a K-Hornet.
I’ve thought about this since it should make reloading easier and add to brass life.
How does he like it?

A number of years ago I saw a Ruger #3 in 22 Hornet and I am still kicking myself in the rear for not buying it.

But then there are a lot of firearms that I should of bought when I saw them.

Does anyone have any comments on the 22 hornet in the Ruger no1? The is a nice little one for sale in my neck of the woods.
Read several articles years ago about them in Hornet and reworked to K-Hornet. As I recall they were very accurate. Best I can do for you. I’ll look in some of my old books and magazines I have laying around if no one comes up with anything.
If it’s a good price, I’d definitely consider it! I really like the old Hornet, but I’d probably convert it to the Kilbourn version.

Does anyone have any comments on the 22 hornet in the Ruger no1? The is a nice little one for sale in my neck of the woods.

I bought one new at the Cabelas Sydney store back when it was the only Cabelas Superstore. I know, I’m old! Anyway, it’s a beautiful little rifle. I could not get it to shoot 45 gr hornet bullets for crap. I was almost ready to give up on it and then I tried 50 gr Speer TNT’s loaded out further to be just off the lands. It immediately started shooting 1/2” groups and I’ve never looked back. The year my son turned 12 he drew trophy pronghorn, elk and Muley tags in our (then) home state of WY. To get him ready I had him go through 2,000 rounds with that rifle on prairie dogs. Nothing will teach you windage and elevation like a hornet in a windy WY prairie dog town! When the big game season came around he used my 7x57 to harvest a 15 1/2” antelope, a 6x7 bull elk, and a beautiful old 5x5 muley, all at 12 years old, unguided except for his old man! Buy the hornet! Mine will never leave my possession until my son inherits it.

I’ve had several hornets an old Winchester 70 Hornet modified to K. That was the old version made for 223 bullets. Always like the hornet as it was intended to be mild manners. If need a bit more why not get a 222 Rem? For my money best current one is made by CZ with its cute tiny Mauser action.

The only issue with the Ruger is the Bolt design. It can cause some accuracy issues. Fun little rifle though. My dad had his punched out to a K-Hornet.
5shot
Not exactly a Ruger but an old 1885 Winchester lowall customized and chambered for the 22K Hornet.

full

Cheers mate Bob. .

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW! Very handsome low wall!

I’ve had one since they first came out. Fantastic rifle. Hates 45 gr hornet bullets but shoots 50 gr Speer tnt’s lights out. My son learned to shoot with that rifle in Wyoming prairie dog towns.

I’ve had one since they first came out. Fantastic rifle. Hates 45 gr hornet bullets but shoots 50 gr Speer tnt’s lights out. My son learned to shoot with that rifle in Wyoming prairie dog towns.

Apparently I’m now senile, just realized I’d already replied to this thread!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois