Ruger #1 Tropical in .375 H&H, .458 Lott and 450/400 for sale

so I made my way into Cabelas today looking for some 9.3x62 ammunition (my sizing die broke). sadly they did not have any 9.3x62 in stock but it did give me a chance to look at a Ruger #1 in 458 Lott up close. after spending a good 10 minutes or so looking over the rifle I can say it looks downright unpleasant to shoot!

downside:
- too light (maybe 9 pounds)
- terrible sights (tiny front bead with huge rear sight)
- poor balance (muzzle heavy)
- thin butt pad

upside:
- excellent trigger (light with a clean break)

the rifle looked like it could be made into something nice, but the amount of work that would take offsets the price. in my opinion you would be much better buying a CZ 550 in 458 Lott which comes ready to use for just slightly more money (although they do tend to need a little work to feed right).

on the bright side of this trip, Cabelas did have a sale on a bunch of old boxes of Hornady Safari ammunition. I snagged the last box of Hornady 500 NE 3" DGS for $99 which is a great price!

-matt

I agree for the $$$, buy the CZ 550. For $1100 they are nice guns. I have not checked the prices lately but the 458 Lotts use to go for that amount.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Imogen6571

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois