Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Member of
Black Sheep Bowmen Archery Club.
Hunted
Namibia and South Africa
I happened across this today and thought it might interest some members. http://www.cabelas.com/product/ruge...y/Single-Shot-Centerfire-Rifles/105525180.uts

Screen Shot 2016-12-31 at 11.08.38 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sure a few will fly off the shelves.

I noticed right before Christmas that the cabelas near me had a whole rack full of these. $999 is a good price on them.

Argh, no Cabelas in California.

hrm, ive been wanting one in 450/400 NE 3".

although honestly, id really like it if they offered bigger calibers. id like one chambered in 577 NE or even 600 NE but having a custom rifle made is pretty expensive. their 458 Lott is also tempting but i think ill hold out until i can custom order a AHR.

-matt

I live 3 miles from a Cabelas....tempting

Matt, buy a prefit from PAC-NOR and do up your own. You could easily go up to a 500 NE (and even a 577 NE, if you're sufficiently knowledgeable and skilled).

hmmmm,

500 or 577 nitro in a 7 1/2 pound rifle would be not much fun to shoot i bet!!!

I was suprised how light it was claiming. I did a little looking and the Tropicals appear to be a pound or so heavier than that. Not helping a lot, but still...

7.5 pound is great for 30-06 but I'd prefer it to be 10 pounds for any of the bigger calibers.

Cabela's price on these is excellent.
My first .375 was a Ruger #1 and with it I shot my first caribou.
Plus, I hunted with it for several years after that.
Sometimes I think about getting another one but just haven't done so.

Let's see, my wife is planning to take Grandma to look at an apartment here in town today.
They'll be gone about 2 hours and I'm supposed to shovel our driveway but, Cabela's is only 6 miles from said driveway ....... Hmmmm.

Cabela's is only 6 miles from said driveway ....... Hmmmm.

You got to hate those accidental gun purchases:whistle::whistle::whistle:

7.5 pound is great for 30-06 but I'd prefer it to be 10 pounds for any of the bigger calibers.

With the 577 NE a rifle of 12 pounds would be better, something difficult to achieve in a No. 1 conversion. Really, in many ways the 577 is too much for the Ruger. I mean, the action can be modified to safely handle the cartridge, but there's a few concessions which go along with the decision.

With the 577 NE a rifle of 12 pounds would be better, something difficult to achieve in a No. 1 conversion. Really, in many ways the 577 is too much for the Ruger. I mean, the action can be modified to safely handle the cartridge, but there's a few concessions which go along with the decision.

I agree, I wouldn't want to attempt a .458 Lott unless it was close to 12 pounds in weight in a Ruger #1. A 577 NE is probably too big for a Ruger #1.

I agree, I wouldn't want to attempt a .458 Lott unless it was close to 12 pounds in weight in a Ruger #1. A 577 NE is probably too big for a Ruger #1.

12 pounds is too heavy for a 458 Lott, 10.5-11 pounds will do the job. 12 pounds would be about right for a 577 NE though.

the weight on the cabelas website isnt correct. looks like the rifles in 450/400 and 458 weight around 9.5 pounds or so.

-matt

The standard-issue No. 1 in 450-400 is a bit light for the caliber, coming in at around 8 pounds.

The No. 1 in 458 (both varieties) does run nearer 9.5 pounds, though.

The standard-issue No. 1 in 450-400 is a bit light for the caliber, coming in at around 8 pounds.

The No. 1 in 458 (both varieties) does run nearer 9.5 pounds, though.

agreed both are too light, you will want at least 9 pounds for the 450/400 NE and 10.5 pounds for the 458 lott.

i decided not to buy one, i need to not spend money on guns at the moment. i still have to pay off my last hunt before i think about picking up anything new.

-matt

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.