Ruger #1 Tropical .357, Ok being a single shot????

Sealesniper

AH member
Reaction score
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NWTF, DU, SCI
Hunted
Most of Canada, most of US, fished in Brazil, Germany, Peru, Uraguay, Alaska, Idaho, all of Eastern USA. South Africa
I am looking for a possible DG gun to bring with me for my safari. I have done a lot of reading and I am certain I will be buying a 375 H&H int he next 30 days so I have 11 months to practice with it. I have looked at CZ, Sako, Remington, Browning and now the Ruger. I own a few bolt Rugers, but have never owned or shot the Falling Block style. My question goes out to the PH's on this forum, but anyone is welcome to chime in.

WOULD you allow and feel comfortable with a client shooting a falling block on DG (buffalo, leopard and lion)?

How quickly can it be reloaded compared to a bolt gun? Any issues wiht feeding ot ejecting brass? Comments and concerns.

If not the falling block, I am leaning towards a CZ550 or a Sako Safari.

Thank you,

Roger

image.jpg
Sealesniper it's a great rifle....period! I took a model #1 in 458 Lott, pictured above, as my back up rifle on last years elephant hunt! If something had gone wrong with with my Ruger Guide Gun the #1 would have been my rifle.
I can reload it pretty fast....but remember your PH will be right there for you. Buy your #1 and enjoy!

Practice makes perfect. But to answer your question about function. Extracted brass sometimes hangs up briefly on the tang safety and this is a concern to some. I have seen guys shooting them hunting and they have developed a hold that tips the rifle over to help the brass clear the safety. An alternative to this is a custom safety that is shaped to better clear the brass. I don't remember the name of the company but someone here will. Other than that there is really no reason not to take one but be forewarned, the #1 in the bigger calibers kicks like the dickens for some reason. I don't know how Charlie could stand to shoot a .458 Lott in one. He is either real tough or numb!:Nailbiting: I had a .450-400 which is much less powerful than the Lott and it gave me recoil headache and I soon sold it. Perhaps with a better pad, it would be less abusive, but I prefer my #1's in smaller calibers, but for my one concession, a custom .404 Jeffery. Heavy barrel and thick pad make it tolerable, just.

your Ruger #1 will perform just fine if you decide to purchase one , they are great rifles .

I am sure if you like it and practice with it it will work fine, I agree with @bassasdaindia i like the Winchester Model 70 in a 375 H&H or 416 rem. They are well priced too. However if your have the means Rigby and the likes are great weapons too, but as said in a mirriad or different thread what ever you practice and feel comfortable with is what you should bring to African. Shoot accurate and be confident with your rifle and your heading in the right direction.

Shot Shot

A single shot is a good idea for experienced big game hunters. If you are a novice, rather get a Bolt action.

Your first round is invariably an expanding bullet with a solid for follow up if need be. I have seen a couple of hunters fumble trying to find the solid in an ammo pouch or belt for follow up, whereas with a bolt action it will not be an issue.

As for calibre, a 375 is all you will need. It will not hurt your shoulder or pocket to much (and there is ammo in africa in case). Then practice shooting it from every conceivable shooting position. Lastly, get good glass and great mounts!

I personnaly would prefer a double gun (if I could Afford one) or a Bolt gun there are plenty of great deals on CZs (extra round capacity) Winchester or a Whitworth.

Practice makes perfect. But to answer your question about function. Extracted brass sometimes hangs up briefly on the tang safety and this is a concern to some. I have seen guys shooting them hunting and they have developed a hold that tips the rifle over to help the brass clear the safety. An alternative to this is a custom safety that is shaped to better clear the brass. I don't remember the name of the company but someone here will. Other than that there is really no reason not to take one but be forewarned, the #1 in the bigger calibers kicks like the dickens for some reason. I don't know how Charlie could stand to shoot a .458 Lott in one. He is either real tough or numb!:Nailbiting: I had a .450-400 which is much less powerful than the Lott and it gave me recoil headache and I soon sold it. Perhaps with a better pad, it would be less abusive, but I prefer my #1's in smaller calibers, but for my one concession, a custom .404 Jeffery. Heavy barrel and thick pad make it tolerable, just.

I put a very good Pachmayer (spelling) recoil pad on the 458 Lott and a Limbsaver on the 300 WinMag.

image.jpg

My battery for this hunt on the left! 416 Guide Gun and a model #1 in 300 win mag. To the right is AH member Art Lambart's #1 in 30-06. Arts father just bought a number 1 in 416 Rigby for the big stuff!

Sealesniper in my last trip to SA I didn't do a DG hunt. I did use a Ruger #1 in 300 WM. You could work at close range shooting with a Shell between fingers of your left hand. You can load a shell in very little time and get a second shot off very accurately that way.
image.jpeg

I had just got mine before the trip and since my PH on the first trip used one of these neoprene covers on his rifle I got one and my rifle came home perfect after getting five animals with six shots.
Tom

I had the same dilemma. I am a big fan of the No. 1. I asked my PH what he thought and he said he has no problem with a single shot for buffalo. I picked up a No. 1 in 416 Remington Magnum and it will be making the trip with me in November. Good luck with your decision!

Well if it helps I have a No1 in 577NE.... If I could have found one in 470NE it would have been "MY" DG gun. I also have one in 9.3x74R, which is a wonderful DG cartridge where legal.

Yes its a bit slower than a bolt gun or double gun; but not by much once you develop a rhythm and decide where you are going to carry ammo. Some like to keep a round in between the fingers of their off hand, some on a wrist band, or open top pouch on your belt. I like to keep a round in between the middle and ring finger of my shooting hand. It helps if you get used to carrying by holding a similar size snap cap there as often as your day permits.

As for the safety "snag", Ive only noticed it on the bigger rimmed rounds; but the solution is really simple--just open the action when the barrel is raised from recoil. Practice with dummy rounds and it becomes second nature.

I DO love double guns. They are my first choice for DG; but the price difference between a double and a No1 ($8K+ vs $1100) is a lot of hunting.... also a No1 just screams to be scoped, while a double is much more bothersome about optics

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg