AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
A little while back I picked up a pair of #'1's 450/400 and 9.3x74R. had super plain stocks. I ordered a pair of thin shell english walnut stock sets from Treebone carving. I just finished the 450/400. Happy with how it came out. Will start on the 9.3 for my next project.
IMG_4237.JPG
IMG_4239.JPG

Well done Dave, very nice!

Stunning is all I can say!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Nice job!! Beautiful wood. If you don't mind my asking, how much did the blanks set you back? Were they pre-cut or did you have to do all of the inletting yourself?

Looking good!

Shootist43 they were precut about 80% inletted, need to do some fitting to each to each action and George makes them a bit oversized so you have room to finish to your liking. Cost was $600 ea per rifle. Both stock sets came from the same tree. The set for the 9.3 has very similar grain structure, I have the butt stock fit and will start on the forearm this weekend.

Wow! Very nice indeed.

wow , that's great , I have always expressed an interest in the #1 in 450/400 , but have always been put off by the stock .

please explain to me , did you order the wood and carve your own stocks or can you order the stocks like that ?

Looks very nice Dave

When something is made with love it always always come out a beauty. Nice job Dave it could not have been more beautiful i saw that stock inperson a few weeks ago.

Beautiful

Bassasdainda Here is a link to the outfit that I ordered the stock set from: http://www.treebonecarving.com/ruger-1-and-3-stocks.html

I have used their precarved stocks for Ballards, marlin lever guns, rolling blocks and rugers. I can do my own from scratch but George does such a good job that I don't do a from blank unless it is a exceptional piece of wood. They are about 80% fitted and require some work on your part but is well worth the time with files and sand paper to get them right. I have faith in treebone's owner that now I just call tell him what my price range is and have him pick a black to carve for me.. Or will send him a blank and he will take care of that too. Life is too short to hunt with ugly guns! I am looking forward to working on the 9.3, when I get off my bvutt and go out to the shop I will take a before pic for the 9.3 and one when complete.

Screen Shot 2017-01-28 at 8.04.00 AM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a very nice stck of wood and to have a matched pair would be excetional. There is nothing quite like the satisfaction of taking a rifle you have invested time in to do the stockwork to enhance the hunting experience.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you