Ruger #1 International opinions

Earle

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Member of
Orillia gun Club, Bancroft Fish and Game Club
Got a chance to get a #1 International in 7x57. Looks immaculate and wears a Swaro scope. Anyone familar with this particular model, and is accuracy generally decent? Never owned a single shot or a Ruger either, so best to ask. Thanks

On accuracy the Ruger #1 can be a temperamental rifle. The wrong torque on the forend screw and it will throw shots all over. Get it just right and it will be a tack driver.

I am not a fan of the international stock, while others are. I have a couple of #1's. A 22-250 1V and a 270 Weatherby mag, both are tack drivers.

Buy it! As JimP stated, the full length forend may give you some issues but overall, I’ve found #1’s to be accurate rifles.
With the 20” barrel on the International coupled with the fact that #1’s are about 4” shorter than bolt guns of the same barrel length, you’ll have a short, nimble rifle.

As heating swells the barrel, a full Mannlicher stock has a great deal more length for the barrel to come in contact with wood.

I too love the look of the International stock, although I’ve never owned a #1 with one. They just MIGHT be a little more temperamental when it comes to accuracy. That said, I certainly wouldn’t shy away from this rifle.

But having said that, I wouldn't hesitate to buy that rifle. I'll save the tack-driving for rifles and calibers better suited to that purpose than a Ruger #1 in 7x57

i had one in 3006 that just was not a same place shooter, after trying to get it to shoot at least 3" groups i gave up and sold it. but my #1 in 45-70 shoots like this at 100 yards with the load it likes.

DSCN0862 (2).JPG
DSCN0863.JPG
DSCN0864 (2).JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Ruger #1 International in 7X57. It is not a tack driver though it can be occasionally. It is not terrible either but it can cause you to scratch your head. Still I like mine even though I haven't shot it in quite some time. That simply is because I have a Nosler M48 in 7X57 that is a tack driver.

It is compact being only thirty six and one half inches long. But it weighs 8lbs.- 8ozs., with scope, which I find rather heavy for such a small package. I have a Leupold VX-lll 2.5-8x36 mounted on it.

Mine has stayed in the safe for a while, since I got the Nosler, still I like it and will keep it. In fact you have prompted me to take it out and put it through its paces.
IMG_2030.jpg

I have a couple of No1’s (.22 hornet and .275 Rigby). Both are very accurate. I have always liked the No 1 RSI in 7x57 but have never owned one.

Waiting to hear back from the seller, and if we can reach agreement, i'm going to have it. Realizing it may not be a tack driver is okay, if i want pinholes i have a few guns that are more than capable. There is just something about an International that appeals to me.

I have an RSI in 7x57. It likes heavy bullets and shoots well for a quick 3 rounds, after that the thin barrel has heated up enough that it starts to string vertically. But the rifle is designed for the stalk so if the hunter is doing his/her part 3 shots should be more than enough. When shooting it I always make sure I have a couple other rifles to shoot while that one cools. It is heavy for it's size but handles really well and of course with the 7x57 has very mild recoil.

It is said that the black pad guns (newer) are more consistently accurate due to better barrels. I can't confirm this, mine are both in the SS# range of red pad guns.

I'd probably buy it and then wonder why later...... :ROFLMAO: But if you hunt in heavy cover they are pretty nice rifles to use.

Got a chance to get a #1 International in 7x57. Looks immaculate and wears a Swaro scope. Anyone familar with this particular model, and is accuracy generally decent? Never owned a single shot or a Ruger either, so best to ask. Thanks
@Earle.
My only experience with the Ruger international in 7x57 was disappointing to say the least.
My mate Greg bought one and we couldn't get a scope to adjust on it. We always ran out of windage no matter what scope we used. At first we thought it was a crap mount but it turned out to be a BENT barrel. The rifle was new in the box.
I will give Ruger it's dues they offered to fix it, replace it or give him his money back. He chose the last option. He wdisappointed but t has nothing but t praise for the service from Ruger.
Bob

one of the things that i have done to any #1,s i had and i had 12 of them(only four now) i made sure the scope base was not touching the reciever, if they were touching i ground the base untill there was no touching and cold blue the end. as the barrel would heat up and if the base was touching it would put undue pressure on the reciever (one thing to check before giving up). it didn,t turn some into tack drivers, but into ex hunting rifles

Last edited:
I have one and have used it for a number of years primarily for white tails, as has been stated it is not a one hole grouping rifle but it is accurate, I love mine

I have a stainless RSI in 6.5x55 Swede, personally I like it very much as it carries well through the woods and slung over your shoulder. Accuracy is more than acceptable for my woods whitetail deer hunting. Currently using GECO 156 grain softpoints. This load I can shoot 1.5", 3 shot groups benched, 100 yard target. I haven't tried any other factory loads, much less handloads yet. Recoil is mild. Only slight gripe is the fired casing ricocheting off the tip of the safety back towards the chamber; I just tilt the gun sideways when I drop the lever. I believe I have a pic in the Sling thread from last year.

I have a stainless RSI in 6.5x55 Swede, personally I like it very much as it carries well through the woods and slung over your shoulder. Accuracy is more than acceptable for my woods whitetail deer hunting. Currently using GECO 156 grain softpoints. This load I can shoot 1.5", 3 shot groups benched, 100 yard target. I haven't tried any other factory loads, much less handloads yet. Recoil is mild. Only slight gripe is the fired casing ricocheting off the tip of the safety back towards the chamber; I just tilt the gun sideways when I drop the lever. I believe I have a pic in the Sling thread from last year.
Ruger No.1 International, not M77 RSI, my apologies, is what I own. What a dork!

I had one about a decade ago. Lovely looking little rifle but, as dchamp pointed out it is heavier than it should be. Mine was about an inch and a half shooter which is fine for the woods hunting I do but, I found it most difficult (impossible) to shoot off hand. All the weight is in the butt and the lack of balance made the barrel dance about with vigor. You may have a totally difference experience than I.
IrL64Kxl.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a Ruger #1 International in 7X57. It is not a tack driver though it can be occasionally. It is not terrible either but it can cause you to scratch your head. Still I like mine even though I haven't shot it in quite some time. That simply is because I have a Nosler M48 in 7X57 that is a tack driver.

It is compact being only thirty six and one half inches long. But it weighs 8lbs.- 8ozs., with scope, which I find rather heavy for such a small package. I have a Leupold VX-lll 2.5-8x36 mounted on it.

Mine has stayed in the safe for a while, since I got the Nosler, still I like it and will keep it. In fact you have prompted me to take it out and put it through its paces.
View attachment 404501
Beautiful rifle!
i had one in 3006 that just was not a same place shooter, after trying to get it to shoot at least 3" groups i gave up and sold it. but my #1 in 45-70 shoots like this at 100 yards with the load it likes.

View attachment 404495View attachment 404496View attachment 404497
fine looking rifle

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eye4aneye

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!