Ruger #1 500 Nitro Express

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
Just for the fun of it I'm considering rebarreling a Ruger # 1 presently chambered in 7 Rem Mag to 500 Nitro Express. What do you think the recoil will be like in what will be around a 9 1/2 lb. gun?

Papabear55

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Just for the fun of it I'm considering rebarreling a Ruger # 1 presently chambered in 7 Rem Mag to 500 Nitro Express. What do you think the recoil will be like in what will be around a 9 1/2 lb. gun?

Mine was a pleasure to shoot

Tanks

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
I am guessing severe. The .500 NE doesn't bother me, but I am using an almost 12 lbs double rifle that fits me like a glove.

Just ran the recoil calculator real quick. The ruger has 22.5 ft.lbs more recoil energy (105 vs 82.5) than my rifle due to lighter weight.

Quaticman

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia
I am guessing severe. The .500 NE doesn't bother me, but I am using an almost 12 lbs double rifle that fits me like a glove.

Just ran the recoil calculator real quick. The ruger has 22.5 ft.lbs more recoil energy (105 vs 82.5) than my rifle due to lighter weight.
OUCH.

cajunchefray

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
NRA
I'm interested if we have some forum members that have owned a Ruger #1 in .500 Nitro Express and their feedback.

How was the perceived recoil? I know Ruger #1's in heavy calibers can be stout kickers.
I've dreamed of this, with a 26" semi bull barrel, at least 11# weight.

I've emailed JD Jones at SSK industries, and in a #1, he strongly recommended a muzzle break and a Coil-Chek stock, neither features of which I wanted.

On page 421 of Pierre van der Walt's book, African Dangerous Game Cartridges, he has a picture of PH John Harris, shooting an elephant with said gun and caliber, weighing 7 pounds 9 ounces ( ouch!). The elephant didn't like it.

I still want one, just like to know feedback from actual users.

Papabear55

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I'm interested if we have some forum members that have owned a Ruger #1 in .500 Nitro Express and their feedback.

How was the perceived recoil? I know Ruger #1's in heavy calibers can be stout kickers.
I've dreamed of this, with a 26" semi bull barrel, at least 11# weight.

I've emailed JD Jones at SSK industries, and in a #1, he strongly recommended a muzzle break and a Coil-Chek stock, neither features of which I wanted.

On page 421 of Pierre van der Walt's book, African Dangerous Game Cartridges, he has a picture of PH John Harris, shooting an elephant with said gun and caliber, weighing 7 pounds 9 ounces ( ouch!). The elephant didn't like it.

I still want one, just like to know feedback from actual users.
Mine was stout but not as bad (sharp) as my 458 lott

matt85

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
USA, South Africa, and Namibia
I shoot 577 NE doubles and 8 bore paradox guns for fun... but I wouldn't shoot a Ruger #1 in 500 NE with someone elses shoulder let alone my own. The gun will be light for caliber and poorly balanced, you will not want to shoot the rifle more then once in a sitting (not more then once a month likely).

-Matt

bruce moulds

AH legend
Reaction score
the one i shot in 450/400 was unpleasant.
the gun is too light for that, so would be impracticle in 500 nitro.
the gun is so light that the recoils very sharp, as well as hard.
1st shot ok, then hard to shoot more shots.
bruce.

AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa, Alaska,lower 48
I had one built years ago and it was about 10 lbs. Had as heavy a barrel as could be put in the action, 25 in and no muzzle break. add a little weight to the butt stock to get the balance correct. It was a hard recoil compared to my friends Merkel double but there was also 2 1/2 LBS difference in weight. A 570gr at 2150 recoil was comparable to my 500 Jeff at 2350. If you have any reservations about taking 100+ flbs of recoil you don't need the rifle. A muzzle brake and recoil dampning in the but stock would go a long ways in taming the rifle down. I enjoyed mine, at the range it was a 8 shot or less session. My nephew currently owns it. Even with the Muzzle break it will still kick about like a 458WM. So do a self assessment and decide if you want a specialized rifle and the $$$ associated with building one.

Forrest Halley

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Mine was stout but not as bad (sharp) as my 458 lott
A Lott in a #1? Mine sure is a mover and shaker. Some fool had one in .460 Wby. I can only imagine the lack of fun there.

BeeMaa

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member, SCI
Hunted
Eastern US & RSA
This guy looks pretty well experienced with big bores with the Ruger No. 1. Gives you an idea of what you could be looking at for recoil.

Skip to the 2:40 of this video for the mother of all flinches.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DennyBowes

Latest profile posts

I did a little housekeeping in my shop and found some .500 Jeffery ammo that I no longer need. Superior Ammunition and Hendershots loaded them, along with AHR (American Hunting Rifles). Several Woodleigh/A-Square solids along with lead bullets in both 535g and 600g. Message me for any details.

IMG_8092.jpg
IMG_8091.jpg
IMG_8090.jpg
IMG_8094.jpg
pam308 wrote on TOBY458's profile.
Just saw your listing for a winchester 70 458. Is it still for sale? I want it!!! pam308
flatwater bill wrote on john stroud's profile.
Leopard Legend....................Hi John.............I see that you have not visited AH in awhile. Hope all is well. I am looking for a hunt in Namibia..............would like to ask a few questions about your hunt.............all the best..............................Bill
Cervus elaphus wrote on Bob Nelson 35Whelen's profile.
Hi Bob, how's things going in Wyong?. Down your way a couple of years back but haven't been in NSW since Ebor for the fishing. just getting over some nasty storms up here in Qld, seeing the sun for the first time in a few days. I'm going to NZ in the spring and hope to clean up a few buns while there and perhaps shake the spiders out of my old .303LE (currently owned by my BIL). Cheers Brian
A couple pictures of the sable i chased for miles in Mozambique, Coutada 9!! We finally caught up to him and I had the trophy of a lifetime. Mokore Safaris, Doug Duckworth PH
sable Coutada 9.JPG
sable 2 - Coutada 9.JPG