RSA Travel COVID update May 11

I'd also download a copy to your phone if you have a smartphone or at least take a screen shot of the records
Yes, and I can also upload it to my company insurance web portal. I will definitely have multiple backups and sources to get to the information. Great point and suggestion.

I returned from South Africa just yesterday. I flew United, Newark to JNB. I uploaded my vaccine card onto United's site, and it does not have a QR code. Not once was I asked to see any form of documentation about Covid. Upon my return I paid 350 Rand at the airport for the Covid test, they said results would be 5 minutes, they took 10. Very easily done.

Another note, you are told you have to have your ammo in a locked box inside your checked on baggage, no one, and I mean NO ONE asked to see my ammo. I even asked if they'd like to see it, and in the states and in Africa everyone said they did not need to see this. No one even questioned how much ammo I was traveling with.

In Newark the gate agent said you had to wear a mask on the flight, once you got on, the flight attendants said we did not need them. Once you land in JNB you have to wear a mask in the airport, and again, once I boarded to come home out of JNB the flight attendants said we could remove our masks.

For those who want to do the Covid, Binax Now self test kit, be SURE to buy the right kit. I did not have the right kit so I could not do that in camp, that's why I did it at the airport.

What a giant PITA!!!!!!! Not getting on a plane for anywhere till this shit is OVER!!!!!!!!

And if I never fly again, hot damn!!!!!!!!!! ;)

I was just on the Africa CDC site just a few minutes ago seeing if my stuff was still listed as a provisional cert. I was able to get in just fine. Bad news is it still showed as provisional.
Someone at their CDC probably has to check the vaccine card we submitted against the vaccine information provided on the application for the travel pass before "provisional" goes away?

I returned from South Africa just yesterday. I flew United, Newark to JNB. I uploaded my vaccine card onto United's site, and it does not have a QR code. Not once was I asked to see any form of documentation about Covid. Upon my return I paid 350 Rand at the airport for the Covid test, they said results would be 5 minutes, they took 10. Very easily done.

Another note, you are told you have to have your ammo in a locked box inside your checked on baggage, no one, and I mean NO ONE asked to see my ammo. I even asked if they'd like to see it, and in the states and in Africa everyone said they did not need to see this. No one even questioned how much ammo I was traveling with.

In Newark the gate agent said you had to wear a mask on the flight, once you got on, the flight attendants said we did not need them. Once you land in JNB you have to wear a mask in the airport, and again, once I boarded to come home out of JNB the flight attendants said we could remove our masks.

For those who want to do the Covid, Binax Now self test kit, be SURE to buy the right kit. I did not have the right kit so I could not do that in camp, that's why I did it at the airport.
Thanks for the update. I'm traveling that way in July and hopefully have a similar experience.

I didn't realize we could use an antigen test if taken within 48 hours of departure.
Here is the IATA link:
Yes Delta has this on their website , recently changed as only Rapid PCR was accepted. Antigen test is $79 at DFW Airport and results in 1 hr. Way better than $229 for PCR test .

Anyone flown delta recently with the same report of not having to wear mask until disembarking in Joburg? Fingers crossed! Flying delta in 12 days

I am reposting my post from another covid thread.

Good morning. I am sitting in Africa Sky typing this.

We arrived in Johannesburg at 0345 local time this morning (14 May) on Qatar airlines.

We were the first ones to enter the stanchions leading to immigration and halfway through was an official and he was taking down chains on the ends to allow faster access to immigration. He told us to get our passports and proof of vaccination or covid test ready and he would review it when we got to the end of the next stanchion. When we got there, we showed our passports and US CDC cards. He politely asked, "do you have a digital copy with the code?" I opened my phone and showed him the digital copy with QR code that I had downloaded from Texas Health (our medical center). He did not scan it with anything or really even read it closely. I said, "here is mine, and here is my wife's". He said thank you and that was it. No one else asked for any more proof.

I did not see anyone getting pulled out of line, but we went through very fast. I will add everyone was very friendly, professional and polite at immigrations, customs and the police office where you go to pick up your rifles.

Gilbert from Africa Sky was there to get our guns and take us to the guest house. Talking to Gilbert, he said it appeared the "QR code" was the latest scheme to shake down travelers to purchase another covid test.

Well, we are so happy to be back in Africa! Looking forward to a wonderful month.

Safe travels.

Hey Guys, MIRACLE fix. Upload your CDC vaccine card to VaxYes. $5 fee, they check CDC records and issue digital vaccine card with QR. Got mine issued in 1 hour. Good luck!

It looks like it was most recently updated May 12th per this US Embassy message:

MAY 12, 2022

Message for U.S. Citizens: Entry To South Africa and COVID-19 Regulations – Update 12 May 2022

Event: The South African Government has recently informed several airlines that they will no longer accept the CDC COVID vaccination “white card” as proof of vaccination. All travelers should confirm they can access a QR code that shows evidence of being fully-vaccinated, as available through VAMS or other medical providers; Or carry proof of a negative result of a PCR COVID test within 72 hours of travel; OR proof of recovery.

Getting a QR Code or Digital Copy of Your COVID-19 Vaccination Card:
Some vaccination providers and health departments may offer you access to a QR code or digital copy of your COVID-19 vaccination card in addition to giving you a physical CDC COVID-19 Vaccination card. Contact your vaccination provider or local health department to learn if a digital copy of your card will be made available to you.

The requirement for either a valid vaccination certificate or a negative COVID-19 test does not apply to children under five years of age.

I just obtained a QR code via VaxYes per a recommendation on this forum, easy. While we are NOT entering SA and should NOT require this, we will be traveling through Joburg so figured this might help and/or just in case.

Reactions: MTA
We have the infrastructure. QR codes simply aren’t needed here.
I have my vacc record with a QR code. One just needs to do a little extra work to satisfy foreign governments.

So America does not have the infrastructure to issue QR vacation cards
Some European airports stopped asking for test results and even stopped using mask.
The world needs to move forward for God's sake

The US didn't issue the CDC cards to those of us that got vaccinated to show to a different country.

My state health department issues a digital copy of the card with the QR Code on it.

The US didn't issue the CDC cards to those of us that got vaccinated to show to a different country.

My state health department issues a digital copy of the card with the QR Code on it.
And that's what I'm going with.

Even New Mexico has a way to get digital Vax records with a QR code.
I am amazed.

I used the link for the Africa website and had no issues uploading my passport, and I did use Texas, and had no issues uploading my Vac card. It was 'approved' and I got a QR code.
I received my shots from CVS Pharmacy and the card has no QR code. I went to the CVS website and created an account. They had my shot records on file and when I pulled them up, the QR code was there.
So I have printed both of these as hard copies to carry and the CVS website is easy to open if needed.

Just a quick FYI. At Africa Sky awaiting breakfast before heading out to hunt. Arrived O.R. Tambo last night. No issues at all. Presented VaxYes certificate on phone along with passport for ID. Walked straight through. No PCR test taken. Only person I saw with issues presented a CDC card, was not aware of new QR requirements. Our meet and greet service checked the rifles out himself, told SAP all was good and entered the data in their logbook. Easy peasy. On to Klaserie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ElaneCardi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!