MerlinMc

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SCI
Does anyone have the link to the South African government website where the law(s) restricting the number of rounds is shown? My research generally indicates that up to 200 rounds per caliber can be brought in. I have also heard, however, that the limitation is 40 rounds per caliber for rifle and 200 for shotgun.

I have searched this website as well as more generally but have been unable to find a link to the SA law with the specific restrictions. Thanks in advance for help.

I cant recall the exact number, but its certainly more than 40 for rifle unless things have changed. When I went the first time I think I took 80 rounds for the 1 rifle I had with me. You can ask @riflepermits.com

Reactions: BWH
In Sept of '14 I took 80 rounds for my 30-06. Personally, if you're not doing a cull or donating to the PH, I wouldn't see a need for having so much. I took six shots in a week: two for a zero confirmation, three animals in the bag, and one slippery little impala that had quick feet I missed

Personally, if you're not doing a cull or donating to the PH, I wouldn't see a need for having so much.

Certainly agree there. 40 should be plenty, even if it takes 20 to re sight your rifle, you still have 20 for an entire hunt

The issue is not going to be importation into RSA.
It will be the airlines restrictions to 5KG.

SAPS:
Limits on number of ammunition
The holder of an import permit may not posses more than 200 cartridges for each firearm mentioned on the import permit unless approved by the Central Firearms Control Register.
https://www.saps.gov.za/services/flash/firearms/importation.php

and HENRY will answer:
Only 200 rounds for each permitted firearm or shotgun will be allowed.

I agree that 80 rounds is way more than you'll need. I, however bring 80 rounds. Unless you are carrying it, nobody has ever said "I have too much ammo".

I bring 100 rds. of .17 Fireball and 70 rds. of whatever large caliber rifle du jour. Never had them weighed but a ticket agent (female) at Air France in Dulles wanted to see if they were in boxes and not loose. Now if you're wondering about the .17, I do a LOT of hunting for springhares, other night critters and days for crows.

I took 50 rounds, checked my rifle, took six animals and shot 10 rounds total. Gave the PH a box of twenty when I left and brought a box of 20 home. Unless you are on a high volume cull hunt I can't imagine where you would need more than 40-60 rounds.

I took in 60 rounds and came home with 45 rounds. 7 animals + sight in shots.

I should of brought more home except I screwed up on my gemsbok.

But as Brickburn said it is up to the airlines where your choke point is going to be.

Come to think of it the airlines have never weighed my ammo either! You never need much ammo unless something goes wrong and your gun gets off. Always take plenty of ammo and when I say plenty 80 rounds would get most anything done even with a scope malfunction etc. of course the trouble is the weight in your suitcase being over the 50 pound limit. Dang it wish I could always go Business Class and get that 70 pound allowance!
Regards,
Philip

the airline will determine that for you it is 11lbs and I have had Delta weigh it more than once . that said 11lbs of ammo is alot like 80-100rds alot. But I always take the max that i can as you never know shit happens and i am a handloader so i would prefer my rounds to store bought. Got a chance to do some culling this last time of impala with 416 solids that was fun!

Does anyone have the link to the South African government website where the law(s) restricting the number of rounds is shown? My research generally indicates that up to 200 rounds per caliber can be brought in. I have also heard, however, that the limitation is 40 rounds per caliber for rifle and 200 for shotgun.

I have searched this website as well as more generally but have been unable to find a link to the SA law with the specific restrictions. Thanks in advance for help.

200 rounds for each firearm is the South Africa limit.

Thanks very much. I really appreciate the help.

Question-if I decide to see the PH's rifle, but take my own ammo do I still fill out the SAP form and get the permit?
Thanks in advance for any help.

I am not sure on importing ammo but why would you want to bring in a different type of ammo than what the PH has been shooting in his rifle to sight it in?

It might be different if he is purchasing ammo from a US manufacture that is manufactured here in the US but what if it isn't?

I took (20) 350g RNSN, (20) 350g FMJ, and (40) 300g Oryx. Did not even use a box of 20, of the 300g Oryx.

I am not sure on importing ammo but why would you want to bring in a different type of ammo than what the PH has been shooting in his rifle to sight it in?

It might be different if he is purchasing ammo from a US manufacture that is manufactured here in the US but what if it isn't?

It is much cheaper in the US than RSA. I would just leave what's left behind.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MartyBelai

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Coltwoody@me.com
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross