Founder
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Website
www.africahunting.com
Media
Articles
Rowland Ward's Records of Big Game Revised

The Rowland Ward's Record Book has recently undergone the biggest revision that has been undertaken in many years. Every aspect of every animal, including measurement methods, minimum entry levels and classifications have been re-examined. Here are some of the requirements for the African species.

Methods of Measurement:
1. Method 5 - for Bush Pig and Hippo - will be replaced by Method 6. Here both the longest tusks will be measured on their length on the outer curve and their circumferences at the widest part. No carding is to be used.
2. Method 7 - Reedbuck - The basal pad will NOT be included.
3. Method 12 - Brindled Gnu and Buffalo - The outside spread will be combined with the sum of the width of the two bosses.

New Classifications:
1. Cookson’s Wildebeest from the Luangwa Valley in Zambia - Method 12.
2. Oribiare divided into Southern (min. 5 inches), East African (min. 4 inches), Haggard’s (min. 3 3⁄4 inches), Ethiopian (min. 4 inches), Central African (min. 4 inches) and West African (min. 4 inches).
3. Sitatunga are divided into Nile (min. 26 inches), Forest or Western (min. 25 inches), Zambezi (min. 27 inches) and Island (min. 22 inches).
4. Bushbuck are divided into Harnessed (min. 11 3⁄4 inches), Nile (min. 11 3⁄4 inches), Abyssinian (min. 11 1⁄4 inches), Imatong (min. 13 inches), Somalian (min. 11 1⁄4 inches), Shoan ( min. 11 1⁄4 inches), Menelik’s ( min. 11 3⁄4 inches),
Ugandan (min. 13 inches), East African (min 15 inches), Chobe (min. 14 inches) and South African (min. 15 inches).
5. Buffalo are divided into Cape, Nile, Central African, West African and Dwarf Forest. The minimums are still to be published.
6. Civet, Striped hyena, Brown hyena, Spotted hyena, Black-backed jackal, Side-striped jackal and Common jackal will be included using Method 17 (length and width of skull).

New Minimums:
1. Chanler’s Mountain reedbuck - 5 1⁄2 inches
2. Thomson’s gazelle - 13 inches
3. Southern Grant’s gazelle - 23 inches
4. African elephant - 60 pounds
5. Hippopotamus - 25 inches
6. Caracal - 8 1⁄2 inches

Attachments

• rowland-ward-records-of-big-game.pdf
    180.7 KB · Views: 852
I discovered this just now ... can someone explain to me why these reductions in the minimum? as regards Elephant, Grant's gazelle and Thommy, a reduction of 20 lbs, 2" and 1" (25-8-7%?) respectively seems is too much ...
purely commercial reasons? If so, it is sad that the Ward chase others less selective record books in the race to the bottom ... a "Ward's Record" was always something hard (HARD) and not obvious, and even great hunters had only a few specimens in their collections that could go "in the book".
Now ...a 60 pounds minimum for the elephant is low.
only my opinion.
Lorenzo

Perhaps if you become/remain so selective that no one can ever get in the book again you make yourself obsolete, given the realities of current (size) trophy availability.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!