Roche Safari PH?

Desertrover

Reaction score
I have a hunt scheduled in August with Roche Safari but have not heard from Roche in over 2 months. I am worried he may be injured or worse. If anyone knows anything currently about Roche please share. I am in the unfortunate position of needing to make a difficult decision about my hunt fast.
Kelvin

Just to clarify: You have hunt in 2 months, and they are not answering your messages?

Give them a call at the office

Yep, I have tried email, texting and calling without success. I have heard great things about Roche which is why I am so concerned.

Professional Hunters Association Of South Africa might help

I just tried calling them now no reply, I will let you know if they call back.

I have a hunt scheduled in August with Roche Safari but have not heard from Roche in over 2 months. I am worried he may be injured or worse. If anyone knows anything currently about Roche please share. I am in the unfortunate position of needing to make a difficult decision about my hunt fast.
Kelvin

If I didn't hear from an outfitter after a couple months of trying, there is zero chance I would go on a hunt with them. There are a couple dozen outfitters on here that are rock solid, you could very likely even keep your same flight schedule, and hunt with one of them.

If I didn't hear from an outfitter after a couple months of trying, there is zero chance I would go on a hunt with them. There are a couple dozen outfitters on here that are rock solid, you could very likely even keep your same flight schedule, and hunt with one of them.
I suspect he already has a meaningful investment paid to his current outfitter.

I notice on the Roche site Johan Calitz may be involved with Roche. He is an old pro see if you can get hold of him

I suspect he already has a meaningful investment paid to his current outfitter.

I am sure you are correct, but at some point you have to cut bait. Over 2 months of not returning repeated communications is pretty clear sign you don't want to continue to do business with someone. Or at least it is for me.

I understand outfitters get busy in the bush preparing camps and hunting with clients with very little time to spare. In the old days a few weeks or more without hearing until a PH got time between hunts was acceptable. However, today that's just not the case. Satellite and cell coverage is everywhere. Outfitters are updating there Facebook pages daily. I see Roche has updated his facebook page as recently as last week. I met Roche at SCI convention in 2020. He seemed experienced and competent. Saw no reason why he wouldnt provide an excellent hunt. He has been active in SCI and SCI chapter auctions hunts offering up buffalo, plainsgame, and cat hunts in SA and MOZ. It would be unexpected that he simply dropped out of the hunting scene but COVID has had an impact. Maybe someone from this forum who has hunted with him recently can weigh in.

...... I see Roche has updated his facebook page as recently as last week. ......

If that is the case then drop a comment on to the FB page about giving you a reply. Perhaps someone will care to respond....

Hope this gets settled quickly!

Happened to me a number of years ago. I ended up getting on a plane not having had a reply for two months. I figured if he didn’t show I’d have to wing it and start calling friends. He was there and we had a good hunt. Sure had me wondering though!

I see Roche’s phone doesn’t appear to be connected as of now. I have hunted with him and you will have a great time. My family still tell stories about him and his wife. He loves to say don’t worry and trust your PH. Everything he did worked out perfectly even though I really wondered a few times.

I think dropping a comment on Facebook might be helpful. Sometimes things move a little slower in Africa. Most of these guys would rather been in the bush than behind a keyboard.

Hopefully it is nothing major, and your safari will go off without a hitch.

Reactions: WAB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kurpfalzjäger

Latest profile posts

thriller wrote on Bronkatowski1's profile.
Until this guy posts something on pay it forward free I would avoid him at all costs.
sgtsabai wrote on Buck51's profile.
If it hasn't sold by next week I might be interested. Stock would have to be changed along with some other items. I'm already having a 416 Rigby built so money is a tad bit tight.
The35Whelen wrote on MedRiver's profile.
Hey pal! I'll take all the .375 bullets if they're available.
Thanks!

Cody R. Sieber