Robin Hurt: A Hunter's Hunter

Kouprey

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Namibia, Russia, Austria, Mongolia, Hungary
What a spectacular book! I'm halfway through it, it is incredible.

Many, many fantastic stories, hundreds of great photos throughout - not only the life-story of Robin Hurt, it's basically a history of african hunting over the last sixty years. Huge buffaloes, gruesome leopard maulings, giant tuskers from Zaire to Botswana, Bongo hunts in Kenya and Sudan, one chapter about the old legendary professional hunters, and so on. But not only Africa is covered, Hurt also tells stories of his hunt for Marco Polo Sheep in Central Asia, deerstalking in Scotland, his Rifles and Guns, a photo safari for brazilian Jaguars, and many more.

The downside: this book is so huge and heavy, that you simply can't put it in an average bookshelf - you will need a big coffee table...
And yes, this book has it's price but i think it's worth every penny. I bought the signed edition for 250 dollars which is now sold out, but the trade edition is still available for 150,- (that's right: 100 dollars for a signature of Robin Hurt...)
I don't know if a similar book with that content can be written again, because that old Africa of Mr. Hurt is mostly gone, i guess.
I hope it is allowed to show some snippets of the pages, i took a few photos of the book.

DSC03665a.jpg
DSC03667.JPG
DSC03670.JPG
DSC03669.JPG
DSC03672.JPG
DSC03673.JPG
DSC03674.JPG
DSC03675.JPG
DSC03676.JPG
DSC03677.JPG
DSC03678.JPG
DSC03679.JPG

There are some awesome bulls in those pics among other great trophies. Not the sort that are taken in ranches these days eh!

I was fortunate, and caught him in a slack period at DSC and had a wonderful conversation with him. It is a old guy thing. I could not agree more. It is the best production of a hunter's autobiographical work that I have ever encountered. It is also a delightful, if physically cumbersome, read. But the huge format really does the photography justice. And I only had to carry mine to the truck - not through baggage check. ;)

I was fortunate, and caught him in a slack period at DSC and had a wonderful conversation with him. It is a old guy thing. I could not agree more. It is the best production of a hunter's autobiographical work that I have ever encountered. It is also a delightful, if physically cumbersome, read. But the huge format really does the photography justice. And I only had to carry mine to the truck - not through baggage check. ;)

Would have loved to have bought it....went to look for it specifically as had seen it advertised... but got bit of a surprise when I laid eyes on it......:D

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 8.53.54 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 8.53.54 AM.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 153
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 8.53.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 8.53.57 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 8.53.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 8.53.59 AM.png
    836.8 KB · Views: 128
  • Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 8.54.00 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at 8.54.00 AM.png
    776.7 KB · Views: 141
Yesterday was working outside when the shipping truck pulled up. Was surprised to see the Giant safari press box. Carried it inside and my wife says “surprise!-happy Father’s Day”
Maybe I will keep her. . .
The book is huge and full of good stuff, but not the kind of thing you read while eating morning cereal. I would be most disappointed to go to an African hunting lodge and not see a copy of the book near the bar somewhere. Wish I lived closer to Namibia so I could drive over to Mr. Hurts house and get a signature. . .

It's on sale now at Safari Press as part of their annual summer sale, $105 instead of $150.

I have read countless works of this gentle man , on the monthly issues of " Man Magnum " magazine . I read his exceptional piece on William Evans double barreled rifles . He owns a .470 Nitro Express double barreled side by side rifle and a .500 Nitro Express double barreled side by side rifle ... Which were built by William Evans , prior to World War 2 . He also used to own a Winchester Model 70 Safari Express ( Chambered in .416 Remington magnum ) and a bespoke Westley Richards Mauser 98 action bolt rifle ( Chambered in .425 Westley Richards ) . How ever , he abandoned them , in favor of his double barreled rifles . He shoots driven grouse in Great Britain , with a Westley Richards drop lock 28 Bore side by side double barreled shot gun .

He also got mauled by an African leopard , because he tried to follow it up ... By using a 12 Bore over under Miroku brand shot gun , which was loaded with SG cartridges .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
markekcertifications

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you