Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
DSC, NRA, SCI
Hunted
USA - TX, CO, GA, ID. Africa - Zimbabwe, Zambia, and South Africa (Limpopo and EC)
Saw this crap first hand myself. It's everywhere and the rules change as need be for sure.

Roadblocks and bribes: Zimbabwe is Africa’s shakedown state
1 October 20, 2017 9:25 AM
Source: Roadblocks and bribes: Zimbabwe is Africa’s shakedown state – The Globe and Mail

Robert Rotberg is founding director of Harvard Kennedy School’s Program on Intrastate Conflict, Senior Fellow, CIGI and president emeritus, World Peace Foundation.

We had just arrived at Harare International Airport from less troubled and far less corrupt parts of Africa when we came face to face with the daily punishments that Zimbabwe’s government metes out to its own hapless citizens.

Our local car was a mere 100 metres beyond the terminal when the vehicle, along with many others, was flagged down at a police roadblock, a.k.a. a police shakedown point. Constable F. Moyo sternly checked for the car’s fire extinguisher and its precise placement, for the two emergency plastic triangles with a serial number that all must carry, and for the green fluorescent safety vest that must be available at all times. The fire extinguisher was there, but Constable Moyo did not like the way in which it was affixed inside the car’s boot.

“Aha!” said Constable Moyo. “I shall charge you $30 (U.S.) for that offence.” But, said the driver and passengers, the fire extinguisher was where it was supposed to be. “No,” said Constable Moyo, “regulations have changed.” It was another gotcha moment, since the rules are “altered” whenever the roadblock personnel wish, depending on the circumstances of the traffic stop. The fact that no other country has such arbitrary and fanciful requirements testifies, too, to the avarice of officials at all levels more than it does to a regard for automobile safety.

Constable Moyo did not offer to write up a traffic ticket and give it to the driver. That would have limited his personal on-the-spot profit, the entire point of the roadblock. The driver, who was uncomfortable bribing the constable, initially resisted paying the bribe. “I have no money,” he said. So Constable Moyo grabbed his driver’s licence and walked away. He also tried to take the driver’s car keys. There was menace aplenty, but no actual violence.

Constable Moyo also said that he was proud of his reputation as a fleecer of drivers. “You will find me on Facebook,” he said. “I am famous for dealing with you people.”

After 30 minutes of waiting, over the driver’s protests, I crossed the busy road to the place where Constable Moyo was stopping other cars on made up pretenses and, after intense bargaining, offered him a crisp $20 bill (not $30) on condition that he hand back the licence.

Our roadblock was but one of perhaps 50 to 60 or so that spring up daily around Harare, the once beautiful but now decaying capital of Zimbabwe. Each one provides an opportunity for already well-paid policemen to shakedown motorists, many of whom now use a mobile phone app to locate and avoid the latest blockades. Still, the motoring hassles and extortion with impunity continues unabated. Police inspectors-general may promise to contain the Constable Moyo’s of Zimbabwe, but in fact they receive proceeds from the system of extortion which, along with all manner of other bribe-collecting schemes (to obtain birth certificates, marriage licences, permits to import furniture, etc.) that plague the citizens of Zimbabwe.

Since corruption always begins at the top, not from the bottom, and since we know that venal or grand corruption has ripped over Zimbabwe with tsunami force since about 1995, Constable Moyo, scamming for bribes as he does, reflects much that is pernicious about Zimbabwe. His actions also betray, at the personal level, the destruction that autocratic President Robert Mugabe, now 93, has wreaked on Zimbabwe since 1980.

Under Mr. Mugabe, who threatens to run again for President in 2018 despite his age and evident frailty, Zimbabwe has slipped backward to become among the poorest African countries. Corruption is at the core of the country’s rot – every position, every transaction, is imbued with it. No road is built, no political or official appointment made, without opportunity to profit.

As evidence of the national collapse, fully a third of Zimbabwe’s 16 million people have fled to South Africa, Botswana, Zambia, and Mozambique. Its economy has been reduced to 1953 performance levels. In an echo of the wild inflation of 2007-2009, Mr. Mugabe’s government has introduced its own nominal paper dollar “bonds” that are now only worth 50 cents. With only 4 per cent of bank deposits covered with real money (the U.S. dollar or the South African rand), the country lurches from financial chaos to widespread hardship.

Until Mr. Mugabe’s regime ends, and Zimbabwe is governed honestly, Constable Moyo and his ilk will continue to prevail, and ordinary citizens shudder.

Kurds abandon territory as Iraqi forces advance (Reuters)

http://www.zimbabwesituation.com/news/roadblocks-and-bribes-zimbabwe-is-africas-shakedown-state/

Absolutely! I saw first hand "traffic stops" that were just barely out of sight of each other. Also heard about a p.h. that copied his own $20 bills and rolled them up to hand out. Not sure i would try that myself but it sure gave me a laugh. My luck i would get them back somewhere as change.

Same happened to me in Gambia in 2008, had to bribe myself through a road-post. What do you do when the soldier carry a Kalashnikov..?

One has to consider that these people have salaries they can barely survive on...so be pragmatic...

There are lots of people who complain about corruption, but then rely on it.

I was having dinner in Bulawayo with some Zimbos, and one was complaining that he’d gotten a speeding ticket. The office refused a bribe to make it go away. And my friend was indignant.

Lots of people come across the border into Zimbabwe with things they shouldn’t, or over their limit, and they rely on the ability to bribe the customs people to get through.

If you have some money, then you can pretty much get what you want in Zimbabwe, and lots of people there are quite ok with that.

Now this is not the big stuff, but it’s what most people run into every day.

Not what we’d expect, or want, but many people have come to rely on this system and are unhappy when someone tries to play it legit

Not sure SA is much different. We got stopped on our way to a concession by the police in September. They tried to shake us down, but the PH just told him to give us a ticket. After a short standoff nothing happened and we were on our way.

There are lots of people who complain about corruption, but then rely on it.

I was having dinner in Bulawayo with some Zimbos, and one was complaining that he’d gotten a speeding ticket. The office refused a bribe to make it go away. And my friend was indignant.

Lots of people come across the border into Zimbabwe with things they shouldn’t, or over their limit, and they rely on the ability to bribe the customs people to get through.

If you have some money, then you can pretty much get what you want in Zimbabwe, and lots of people there are quite ok with that.

Now this is not the big stuff, but it’s what most people run into every day.

Not what we’d expect, or want, but many people have come to rely on this system and are unhappy when someone tries to play it legit
That’s an interesting perspective on a troubled country.

Not sure SA is much different. We got stopped on our way to a concession by the police in September. They tried to shake us down, but the PH just told him to give us a ticket. After a short standoff nothing happened and we were on our way.
Wow. That’s unreal.

Yeah JB it made me more nervous than the Cape buffalo!

In May after my pH and I left Bulawayo for our 3 hour drive to camp, we got stopped 3 times and the 3 other stops closer to camp the police let us roll through because they recognize the PH

I forgot to add, when we headed north to Vic Falls, we hit the first roadblock leaving Bulawayo. The police tried to get my PH for a slew of made up things that were wrong. Funny thing is he knew the "rule book" better than the police who had it in their hand. After some voices raised and words spoken, we went on, no fines paid!

I am very proud of the professional and honest law enforcement in the US. While in every large profession some organizations are better than others and even the best organization can hire or be infiltrated by a bad apple, here the bad apples and crooks usually end up quitting, getting fired, or being arrested themselves. I'm coming fairly close to the end of a front-line cop career and I'm pretty happy with what I'm going to be able to look back on from my rockin' chair one day. The few times I've travelled abroad, however, in Eastern Europe and South Africa I quickly learned that if you tell people you are a police officer they assume you are shady and paying with money extorted just like in the stories above. I now tell them I'm an "American Sheriff's Captain"- which is true- and show them my star if appropriate. For some reason, John Wayne maybe, that title doesn't get the sideways looks...

I am very proud of the professional and honest law enforcement in the US. While in every large profession some organizations are better than others and even the best organization can hire or be infiltrated by a bad apple, here the bad apples and crooks usually end up quitting, getting fired, or being arrested themselves. I'm coming fairly close to the end of a front-line cop career and I'm pretty happy with what I'm going to be able to look back on from my rockin' chair one day. The few times I've travelled abroad, however, in Eastern Europe and South Africa I quickly learned that if you tell people you are a police officer they assume you are shady and paying with money extorted just like in the stories above. I now tell them I'm an "American Sheriff's Captain"- which is true- and show them my star if appropriate. For some reason, John Wayne maybe, that title doesn't get the sideways looks...

It says a lot for the caliber of men and women in North American law enforcement that they have managed to stay above all of this, notwithstanding the corruption that money has brought to our political systems. There are times when I think the only thing which separates our politicians from those in the less developed world is that we send ours to jail when we catch them.

Thanks. Current events only become clear through the prism of time. The FBI led the modernization of American law enforcement starting in the 1920's. I hope history doesn't show the same agency's leadership led the politicization of American law enforcement through shady dealings with Washington untouchables...We shall see.

I should also shout out to our friends in England where good policing really started with Sir Robert in London.

Thanks. Current events only become clear through the prism of time. The FBI led the modernization of American law enforcement starting in the 1920's. I hope history doesn't show the same agency's leadership led the politicization of American law enforcement through shady dealings with Washington untouchables...We shall see.

I should also shout out to our friends in England where good policing really started with Sir Robert in London.
Interesting. We could take this thread in a whole bunch of different directions!

Yes, we in North America owe much to the original "Peelers".

Your comment on the FBI is another example of where the ordinary men and women have far surpassed their leadership in terms of integrity and probity. J. Edgar Hoover - perhaps not at the start, but certainly in his later years - could be said to have misused the resources of law enforcement for his own ends, as well as for political ends. The FBI has been pretty open in their disclosure (see their archives) about this, which says a lot for the organization. It doesn't say a lot for Mr. Hoover though!

It's not just Zim, many other countries are after bribes. I saw it first hand in SA and my brother said it was rampant in Moz.

Yep. Didn't mean to twist this thread to American police history! I was surprised at the different perceptions around the world though.

I paid a service to have my rifle paperwork "expedited" at the SAPS office in ORTAMBO. Pretty sure that consisted of paper(s) of a couple types going back and forth as our plane was landing.

It's this kind of crap that will ruin that country as well.

That also happened to us in Serbia (former Yugoslavia)
Its not so heavy in Zimbabwe (like in West Afrika).
I met a hunter,he told me 50 roadblocks at 400 Kilometer !!

A neat story to that:

last year ,we had a 7h ride by car from the hunting concession to Harare Airport.
In the back our cook Kefas,with sunglasses and hat,very serious looking (like a minister we joked).
Me beneth my (black)hunter, he was the driver.
The PH changed his cap,on this cap in big letters :
ZANU PF
Mugabes party.
" Zimbabwe African National Union.Patriotic Front.
He always wear that,when he is in a car .
We passed lot of roadblockers and we noticed always that the police was very astonished looking to us.
A driver as a government party member,a white man on his side and a "minister" in the back.
No one dared to bother us :)
Foxi
Minister.JPG

our "Minister" sleeping

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaeMorris

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross