AZDAVE

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
South Africa,Namibia, Alaska,lower 48
Well like many who have asked who has shot one and searched for a review here is my first cut from the first range session. I picked up one of their 45/70 from William Larkin & Moore in Scotsdale AZ.
It has some decent turkish walnut, checkering is very even and well executed, the wood to metal fit is very good. Has a tasteful amount of scroll engraving and a color case finish on the receiver. The blueing is high gloss and very well done. Rifle weights 7LBS, 15 1/8 LOP and is balanced well. The sights are the fiber optic type and very visible. I would perfer a nice small white bead but will need to work on that. It also came with a mount for a reflex sight. (I will give that a try next range session) It was regulated with Hornaday leverevolution ammo. The conditions at the range were windy 10-20mph but coming straight into the shooters faces. I was having a decent day at the range. I used the 6in peel and stick shhot and see targets. The hornaday ammo shot well. 2in center to center at 50. I also tried federal fusion 300gr speer, Federal 300gr trophy bonded bearclaw. These both were around 4 1/2 in. But were 175-200fps slower than what is is regulated for. I also took some reloads out that work in a SIACE 45/70 double. The 400r hawk shot well at 3 inches center to center, should be able to get down to around 2in with a little more speed. The 400gr CEB solids and 405 rem bullets were around 3 1/2 in so will need to bump the speed up for these also. For a first range session I was very pleased. Have a base line to work from want to concentrate on the 400gr hawk and CED solids. So far I am happy with the rifle and consider it a decent purchase. Will keep you all informed of progress and impressions as I spend more time at the range.

IMG_4243.JPG
IMG_4244.JPG
IMG_4245.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice looking rifle Dave. Congrats on your purchase.

Dave,

I've been curious as to how this rifle performs. I saw an advertisement for the new Rizzini Rhino Express in the DSC bulletin I believe for less than $10 K........

You can't really find many reviews of the rifle out there. I beleive they chamber those in 470 NE and 500 NE.

Yes they have two models, the larger frame Rhino is in 470 and 500NE. the smaller 550 models in 7x64, 30/06, 9.3x74 and 45/70 if my memory serves me. They also have a couple models of O/U double rifles in the smaller calibres. I have had a couple sabatti's and these are several cuts above in quality, right on the heels of Merkel and Chapuis level of rifles. I also forgot to include front trigger breaks crisp at 5 lbs and the rear is also crisp at 6lbs.

Nice looking double, but I am still waiting to see the VC !!! I'll not likely ever own one so I am still waiting to see yours!

Sierraone, The VC will happen at some point. Had a costly family emergency earlier this year. So it was be able to go on a 2018 safari and get the Rizinni or get the VC. At some point I will trade or sell a couple doubles to get the VC. But for now I plan on shooting this one alott. Now I will just have to decide for the 2018 safari, 405, 45/70 or 450/400 double for lion and plains game to accompany my 6.3x62 bolt gun for nocturnal critters.

Sierraone, The VC will happen at some point. Had a costly family emergency earlier this year. So it was be able to go on a 2018 safari and get the Rizinni or get the VC. At some point I will trade or sell a couple doubles to get the VC. But for now I plan on shooting this one alott. Now I will just have to decide for the 2018 safari, 405, 45/70 or 450/400 double for lion and plains game to accompany my 6.3x62 bolt gun for nocturnal critters.
I know the .405 was Teddy's lion medicine in a 1895 Winchester, and the .45-70 was America's buffalo rifle, so I vote for the 450/400...All African history!!!

Would definitely recommend the 450/400 NE above the other two. What is a 6.3 x 62 never heard of it? Perhaps a typo? 9.3 x 62mm? If it is it is 9.3 x 62, an excellent calibre for Africa you will not go wrong with it.

Yea typing was never my strong suite. 9.3x62:whistle:

Yea typing was never my strong suite. 9.3x62:whistle:
I am sure am glad you corrected the caliber. Was looking everywhere to see what a 6.3 x 62 looks like!!!

Did it come with that single weaver style base on the rib? Mount for a red dot or something?

Yes it cane with the weaver mount for a red dot. I plan to give the red dot a try next range session.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillieBurk

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg