River Bass

Whitworth375

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Hey guys wrong time of year i know haha but i got looking through the pictures on my phone and figured id share them. These were all taken on a river about 1hr from me in SW Ontario during the last week of June of this year. This was my first time fishing the river rather than the harbour and had a great time wading along and catching fish after fish. Saw rockbass, carp, tons of smallmouth bass, and lots of crayfish and tadpoles. The water seemed a little low but was cool and the fish sure were hungry. These fish fight hard since they are always battling the current. The first day i went i fished my way downstream about 1.5km then fished my way upstream to the access...quite steep haha. I took a 7' medium action spinning rod with 8lb flourocarbon line and had a backpack with a single tackle tray with a variety of lures, best producers were small square bill crankbaits and texas rigged worms, senkos and hairjigs also produced

Last edited:
Few fish and scenery

20190625_123426.jpg
20190625_181757.jpg
20190626_132310.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Beautiful area and it looks like a place I'd love to fish. Congrats
Bruce

Congrats, my favorite fish. Looks like a beautiful place to fish. You are fortunate for that.

It is for sure a great place to fish and not as well known as you would think. The river gets alot of pressure from salmon anglers in the fall but not much in the summer for bass. The river is 150km and winds its way through 3 counties, and empties into Lake Huron. The average depth that i saw when i fished it was around 3' with a few shallower spots and some deeper holes with one being about 18' and responsible for a few drownings over the years. I for sure will be making the drive again in the summer for some great fishing.

I fished that river 40 years ago. There was no one on it back then. Have fun!

Few more fish and a different section further downstrean.

20190625_152157.jpg
20190626_132314.jpg
20190703_064650.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up on a farm in Essex County. Family cottage was up that way. Shot a lot of groundhogs up there as well. My parents retired to Goderich. Not much of that country I haven’t hunted or fished.

I grew up on a farm in Essex County. Family cottage was up that way. Shot a lot of groundhogs up there as well. My parents retired to Goderich. Not much of that country I haven’t hunted or fished.

Do you know Matt Schultz at all?

No, it’s been a long time. I left Ontario half way through University and finished up at UNB Fredericton. Ontario is beautiful, it’s too bad it’s being led by left wing loonies. It was actually a pretty conservative place back in the ‘70’s.

Beautiful place and some fine smallies! Thanks for posting the pictures! Now you’ve got me dreaming of summertime fishing!

Nice bass,
We fished NW Ontario frequently when I was a kid growing up in upper michigan.
No idea where anymore but the pike fishing was awesome.

I saw today theres a farm for sale SE of Port Albert on Hawkins Road. 95ac with 75 of that being bush with a house and all for i think 839k....not that im going to buy it but it would be a handy place for fishing the maitland or 9 mile

Reactions: WAB
Not to mention a decent sized bush for deer hunting. Sounds like you’ve found your weekend retreat! There used to be some great pike and smallie fishing in some small lakes in that area as well.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg