Rimmed (only) Versatility

Kharn

AH senior member
Reaction score
Gday Reader

Follow up to my previous post asking about ypur favorite rimmed calibers I'd like to ask a separate question.

Of the factory loaded rimmed cartridges available which calibers have the broadest bullet ranges?

5.6x52R - I can only find 5g bullets
But...
7x57R - I can find 9g to 11g bullets

Opinions?

The rimmed that weren't used in bolt rifles i.e. the nitro ones for double rifles will come in one bullet weight due to regulation on a double rifle as different bullet weight would cause the rifle to shoot differently. Also the smaller calibre 9.3x74r down wards were used in European drilling combination rifle/shotguns so with a single rifle barrel you could use different bullet weights . With ones like 9.3x74r people work up their own loads in their doubles if wanting to shoot the lighter than standard 286grn bullet to get it to shoot to correctly . So in certain rimmed calibres there won't be much or any choice

Quite a variety available to hand load in my little rimmed 6.5 Contender......6.5 grams (100 grains) to 10.1 grams.....available again in the Norma Oryx line.................FWB

375 HH R - 235 - 350

My personal vote for most versatile rimmed cartridge goes to the 8x57R in either j or s bore. I have 110, 165 and 180 grain cast loads, 125, 150, 170 ( 32 special duplicate, and a full power load), 190 grain expanding and solid loads. Varmints to pretty big stuff. One of my German O/U's has accounted for innumerable antelope from duikers to eland, as well as more than forty leopards
Sadly my big stuff with it has been limited to only whitetails, bears and hogs are afraid to show up when it is in the woods.
My 9.4x74R is pretty versatile for bigger stuff, but is a bit much for littler stuff that I get to hunt. My 7x57R is pretty handy and useful, but I have more experience with my 8's. As a varminter, my 5.6x50R is a delight. The 6.3x52R is pretty handy up to whitetails. I really liked a 7x65R that I had. But i just kept hunting with my 8x57R.
Bfly

As said, the 8x57JRS is a very good one...very effective on game with 196 grainers..

The 5.6 × 52R is what we Americans call the .22 Hi- Power " imp " . It was designed by Savage. My very first hunting rifle was an older model Savage Model 99 lever action rifle in this Calibre . It had one of those old 5 round rotary magazines. I used to try a wide variety of ammo on that gun : Factory Loaded Norma 71 grain soft points , Factory Loaded Sellier and Bellot 70 grain soft points and hand loaded Sisk Full metal jacket rounds weighing 80 grains . The Sisk rounds stopped being produced long ago. The Sellier and Bellot rounds were grossly inaccurate from my model 99 . Those bullets weren't stabilizing. But the Norma bullets never let me down . They were pin point accurate in my rifle and it became a literal tack driver.
You could legally hunt deer with a .22 centre fire cartridge back then , in Maine ( maybe you still can , l don't know. It's been over 10 years , since l foolishly sold that gun ) . I used it to bag 14 deer over the years with Lung shots. It always did the job.

5,6x52R is still popular in Central Europe.

It is considered ideal for hunting the little reh deer, main prey of many hunters there.

It is a flat shooter and tissue damage is minimal.

Because of it's low chamber pressure, it works great in break open rifles.

"Upgrading" double barrel shotguns, combination guns and drillings with adjustable 5,6x52R-insert barrels is popular.
DSC03578.JPG
DSC03579.JPG
DSC03581.JPG

HWL

Last edited:
5,6x52R is still popular in Central Europe.
It is considered ideal for hunting the little reh deer, main prey of many hunters there.
It is a flat shooter and tissue damage is minimal.
Because of it's low chamber pressure, it works great in break open rifles.
"Upgrading" double barrel shotguns, combination guns and drillings with adjustable 5,6x52R-insert barrels is popular.
HWL

I've spoken with a number of Gunsmiths down under about re-barreling/having inserts put into existing double/triple barrel shotguns to convert them into rifled firearms, however every single gunsmith I've contacted has turned me down and it was everyone on the whole first and second page of googles search for gunsmiths in Australia.

The only one that would do it, would only do so for extremely light round (he mentioned .222 Rem) but said anything larger would be to dangerous to consider.

At first I was excited about the prospect upon its realization but after contacting the gunsmiths I went back to disheartened.

You can get full length insert barrels in a number of different calibers. There are several manufacturers. I think Zimmerman and Kreighoff make them. There are also shorter inserts, about 12 and 15 inches made for 22 LR and 22WRM.
I have a full length insert in 5.6x50R in my Sauer Lux (7x57R and 16/16) that is a real tack driver. The 5.6x50R was developed as a roe deer cartridge. It is about like a 222 magnum and is sudden death on turkeys, groundhogs and coyotes. I also have the shorter 12 inch in 22WRM that stays pretty close to an inch at 75 yards. That one is great for small game.
The full length inserts do need a gunsmith to fit them and they are not cheap, but they make a drilling unbelievably versatile.
Bfly

I'm seeing as the perfect all round drilling rifle (for 'me'), varmint to DG - 5.6x52R & 7x57R & .375 Flgd Mag

The only calibers I'm uncertain of are...
5.6x52R (can only find 5g bullets, same problem with 5.6x50R which is why I've chose the 52, for now).
.375 Flgd Mag (not its use, but think it will need some special work even though I've seen 9.3x74R insert barrels I've not seen 9.5x75R (.375 Flgd Mag) insert barrels, there is only a (0.2x1) difference).

Krieghoffs largest standard drilling (1rifle & 2shotgun) caliber is 9.3x74R.
Their smallest double drilling 'big five' (2rifle & 1shotgun) caliber is .375 Flgd Mag.

But I require the standard drilling (1rifle & 2shotgun) to be .375 Flgd Mag.
Then the 2 shotgun barrels can be 7x57R & 5.6x52R full length inserts.
or
Ideally as stated above....
A stock standard (no inserts/modifying) Rifle Drilling in 5.6x52R & 7x57R & .375 Flgd Mag....

This is all for 'My' perfect rifle.

Last edited:
I've spoken with a number of Gunsmiths down under about re-barreling/having inserts put into existing double/triple barrel shotguns to convert them into rifled firearms, however every single gunsmith I've contacted has turned me down and it was everyone on the whole first and second page of googles search for gunsmiths in Australia.

The only one that would do it, would only do so for extremely light round (he mentioned .222 Rem) but said anything larger would be to dangerous to consider.

At first I was excited about the prospect upon its realization but after contacting the gunsmiths I went back to disheartened.

Short, adjustable insert barrels are a "very german solution", pioneered by Krieghoff between WW1 and WW2.

The first were made in 5,6x35R Vierling, nothing but a low pessure version of the .22 Hornet.

After the war, .22 long rifle and .22 Winchester Magnum became popular and were present in almost every drilling.

In the 1970s the bavarian gunsmith Zimmermann made the first full length, muzzle adjustable barrels in .22 Hornet, .222 Remington and 5,6x50R Magnum.

Today, Keller & Simmann, Keppeler, and some others dominate the market.

https://www.einstecklauf.de

https://www.keppeler-te.de/pages/produkte-products/jagd-hunting/einstecklaeufe-insert-barrels.php

They make barrels up to 9,3x74R an even .45-70 Government.

Most importend thing is a gun with a stabil, durabel break open action, …..and enough time & money.

Krieghoff does not make them any longer.

Funny things are possible....

…. a former Heym 5,6x50R Magnum/20 ga combination gun, converted to an 5,6x50R Magnum over/under double rifle…..

DSC03582.JPG
DSC03583.JPG
DSC03584.JPG

My dangerous game rifle for hunting fox, jackal and racoon….. ;)

HWL

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 10.56.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 10.56.42 AM.png
    2.2 MB · Views: 244
  • Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 10.56.50 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 10.56.50 AM.png
    2.1 MB · Views: 220

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 10.57.27 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 10.57.27 AM.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 355
I've already spoken with Blaser about a month ago and they no longer do their D99 Trio (Triple Rifle) range they have since updated their online catalogues to reflect it as well (the "Trio" columns are gone).

You just have to order the D99 in .375 H&H Flanged, with two 20 ga shotgun barrels.

Keller & Simmann will make the insert barrels in 5,6x52R a 7x57R.

HWL

You just have to order the D99 in .375 H&H Flanged, with two 20 ga shotgun barrels.

Keller & Simmann will make the insert barrels in 5,6x52R a 7x57R.

HWL

As I mentioned, I've already spoken with blaser about .375 Flgd Mag & they've told me that they won't do it, Krieghoff do offer a .375 Flgd Mag but only in Double or Double Rifle Drilling (meaning 1 shotgun barrel to redo not 2).

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 10.57.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 10.57.55 AM.png
    5.4 MB · Views: 282

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 10.58.20 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-06-09 at 10.58.20 AM.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 229

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FelishaRae

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois